Most tasteful drumming

Martin Lopez is a given, probably one of the best metal drummers I've ever listened to.

These are just a few of my favorites I suppose. I generally only like "tasteful" drummers anyways.

Anders Kobro - Green Carnation/In The Woods...
Pete Sandoval - Morbid Angel
Simon O'Laoghaire - Primordial
Les Binks - Judas Priest, mainly for the work he did on Stained Class...:worship: White Heat, Red Hot
Tommy Lee is the king! :p
Nicholas Barker - On CoF's albums Dusk, and Cruelty
Fenriz, another given
Mike Portnoy

Most of you will probably disagree with Mike, but he doesn't wank as much as you think. He's a pretty sick drummer. I'm sure I'm forgetting alot of people, but I'm trying to think of people that haven't been named.

As for non-metal:

Carter Beauford - Dave Mathews Band
Neil Peart - Rush
Dave Grohl, although he isn't the most talented, I just like his style.
Gavin Harrison - Porcupine Tree
Nick Mason - Pink Floyd
Ringo Starr anyone?

And I can't think of anyone else.

I suppose tasteful drumming can apply to drum machines too. If so, I give props to Summoning for their marvelous use of synthetic percussion to conjure a glorious atmosphere of war marches and triumphant processions.

Indeed.

Thomen Stauch's drumming in Blind Guardian is great, he fits well with the music and has some good fills. He also adapted well to the band's change of style, even though he eventually got sick of it. :cry:

Mike Smith FTW.

It's amazing how much good drum production will make one sound tasteful. Drums in metal in general are too loud. Putting them down a bit in mix is just about always a good thing.

I thought Martin Lopez was really good in Opeth. He did some melodic cymbal patterns that were real nice.

Sean Reinert is a good choice too.

For a while I've been saying Wrest is the most tasteful in black metal. This fan site has one of his best performances, on The Fourth Blind Wound. What he does from 4:15 on is superb. Crashes and cymbal chokes are used to great effect.

ex-Pain of Salvation drummer Johan Langell is probably my favorite drummer overall. He does so many interesting things yet never ends up ruining the flow of the songs by showing off too much.

Jari Pohjonen from Reverend Bizarre deserves a mention. He never does anything that ruins the song by trying to be flashy, but he has shown how competent a drummer many times, especially with the drum solo in From The Void.

Another one I'd add is John Haughm of Agalloch (well I suppose it is something jointly shared by him and Chris Greene.) Their drum work is never really technically impressive or anything buy it always works along with the song and manages to keep my attention if I choose to zone in on just the drum work.

As far as non-metal goes I'm quite fond of Jeremy Taggart from Our Lady Peace.

Matt Cameron(Soundgarden)
Sean Kinney(Alice In Chains
Jeff Singer(Paradise Lost)
Bill Ward(Black Sabbath)
Jan Rechberger(Amorphis)
Jason Roeder(Neurosis)
Brian Dixon(Cathedral)

I really like Frost(Satyricon) also.