Most tasteful drumming

challenge_everything

Feb 9, 2006
great southern wasteland
OK the 'Fastest Drumming' thread was somewhat pointless, so what about the most tasteful drummers?

I want to talk about drummers who don't get the wraps for their technicality, who keep it simple yet are really effective at what they do.

For me John Haughm stands out more than anyone. All his work is pretty simple, yet it sounds great, it's expressive and works really well with the music. The outro on 'Fire Above, Ice Below' contains some of my favourite drumming ever.

I would mention John Bonham for the same reasons. Although he's more skilful, even on the simple songs his muscular style really drives the music well.

Another who comes to mind is Martin Lopez on Opeth's Damnation album. He's a great metal drummer, but I anticipated that he would be limited to little more than keeping a basic beat in that mellow album. But he mixes it up beautifully and shows that you don't have to pound the shit out of drums to be effective.

Bard Faust's work on the first Emperor album is pretty stellar. Sam Inzerra on the first Morpheus Descends album. Patrick Robert on Gorguts' 'Obscura'.

For non-metal, Jaki Liebezeit (Can) and Lee Harris on the last two Talk Talk albums.

The drumming on Cadaver's ...In Pains. Cadaver are truly the masters of rhythm. The drumming accentuates the music so well; it's intricate but unobtrusive.
God, I love this album so much. I think I'm going insane:D

Another who comes to mind is Martin Lopez on Opeth's Damnation album. He's a great metal drummer, but I anticipated that he would be limited to little more than keeping a basic beat in that mellow album. But he mixes it up beautifully and shows that you don't have to pound the shit out of drums to be effective.

Took the words out of my mouth. I'd also like to add that he really shines at the end of the song 'Deliverance'. I love that final part of the song.

Lost Horizon's drummer is terrific too.

Bard Faust's work on the first Emperor album is pretty stellar.

Agreed. I also commend Faust for his excellent work on Aborym's latest album Generator, where he usurped the role of an industrial/techno-style drum machine repertoire and incorporated it into his own human drumming abilities to create a unique style that fits the band quite well.

I suppose tasteful drumming can apply to drum machines too. If so, I give props to Summoning for their marvelous use of synthetic percussion to conjure a glorious atmosphere of war marches and triumphant processions.

I suppose tasteful drumming can apply to drum machines too. If so, I give props to Summoning for their marvelous use of synthetic percussion to conjure a glorious atmosphere of war marches and triumphant processions.
Nice pick. I especially like the drumming in the song Elfstone.
In a section of it the drums sound like the clattering of horses' hooves, which fits the track pretty well.

Not strictly metal, but Sean Reinert's work on the first Gordian Knot album is about as fluid and intricate as you can get without distracting from the overall music.

Not strictly metal, but Sean Reinert's work on the first Gordian Knot album is about as fluid and intricate as you can get without distracting from the overall music.

His drumming on the Cynic album is tasteful as hell as well. He never really overplays. His work on Death - Human was also really classy.

I'd say Kollias and Horgh

I don't know about those two. I don't think that it is their fault, but their drumming seems to take a lot of prominence in their band's music. It's quite noticeable when these guys go off on non-stop blastbeats and double bass.