Most under-appreciated instrument in metal

• Synthesizer/(Keyboard)

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Jawharp

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Violin/(fiddle)

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
I'd have to go with the pipe organ as well. Metal as a whole would be far more epic if bands made more use of that.

:lol: I know this isn't related, but the greys comment made me think of something. My brother is an autobody tech so naturally he likes cars and stuff. Well I'm sure most of you are aware of those exhausts wigger kids put on their uber-kewl Honda's that make them really loud. So anyways, long story short, my brother just showed me the rims he painted and stuff, and I asked him what else he was going to do to his car, like putting one of those stupid exhausts on his car, and he replied with "There's no way I'm putting a fart can on my car." Man, I laughed my ass off and everytime I picture his expression and the way he said that I still laugh about it.

:lol: fart can

:lol: I know this isn't related, but the greys comment made me think of something. My brother is an autobody tech so naturally he likes cars and stuff. Well I'm sure most of you are aware of those exhausts wigger kids put on their uber-kewl Honda's that make them really loud. So anyways, long story short, my brother just showed me the rims he painted and stuff, and I asked him what else he was going to do to his car, like putting one of those stupid exhausts on his car, and he replied with "There's no way I'm putting a fart can on my car." Man, I laughed my ass off and everytime I picture his expression and the way he said that I still laugh about it.

:lol: fart can

Wow, when you said that it wasn't related you were right.

I mean, when you said car, I thought you meant car sounds in a metal song.

I didn't expect that.
That is just random. Has nothing to do with this thread. Just so random.

In metal? Definitely the bass. Most thrash/death/black it just rumbles along in the background. Most of the time it's saved either by a sick tone or the riffs themselves being good. Sometimes it isn't. Its nice to hear it break out sometimes and function as a lead instrument, like on Opeth's second album, in a genre where 99% of the time the bass guitar is stuck in its traditional place of rhythm. Its a rhythm instrument, but there's nothing to say it should be stuck in the bottom of the mix *all* the time. Perfect bass in metal should ideally function as both rhythm and take lead spots. Thank fuck for bass solos.

In metal? Definitely the bass. Most thrash/death/black it just rumbles along in the background. Most of the time it's saved either by a sick tone or the riffs themselves being good. Sometimes it isn't. Its nice to hear it break out sometimes and function as a lead instrument, like on Opeth's second album, in a genre where 99% of the time the bass guitar is stuck in its traditional place of rhythm. Its a rhythm instrument, but there's nothing to say it should be stuck in the bottom of the mix *all* the time. Perfect bass in metal should ideally function as both rhythm and take lead spots. Thank fuck for bass solos.

Atheist's songs a good part of the time were written by the bassist, and the guitar parts went around the bass.

Thanks to Mr. Patterson

Maiden is a great example of bass augmenting a song's melody AND rhythm, and it helps that Harris was the primary songwriter.

In metal, I think pretty much any orchestral, ethnic, or acoustic instrument in general is under-rated. One in particular that strikes me however is voice as a support instrument, rather than lead. For a really good example of what I'm talking about, listen to Van Canto.

What instruments haven't Finntroll used? :lol:

My fucking didgeridoo.