Most unique bands

D.Ingram

Mar 17, 2008
Sheffield, United Kingdom.
Well, the title kind of explains itself. Which bands do you think were far ahead of their time, those bands that sounded like no one else and whose sound has never been replicated since?

Rammstein, Mercyful Fate, and Damageplan
Three bands that have always sounded unique to my ears, that no one has ever touched since.
If you try labeling these bands, there are always songs to completely waive that label, and musical traits that do the same.

Can't forget Faith No More either.

Mercyful Fate and Faith No More definitely, Rammstein too (even though I really dislike them) but Damageplan and Dream Theater? You might need to elaborate those...

Anyways, I'm going to be a total fanboy and say... Heathen, Sarcofago and of course, fucking CORONER!!

Eh, wasn't really sure on them. I retract my Berzerker entry.

Most Devin Townsend is pretty unique.

Mercyful Fate and Faith No More definitely, Rammstein too (even though I really dislike them) but Damageplan and Dream Theater? You might need to elaborate those...

Anyways, I'm going to be a total fanboy and say... Heathen, Sarcofago and of course, fucking CORONER!!

when you've listend to DT for a while you start to realize that no-one really sounds quite like them

Cynic were years ahead of their time. They're also extremely distinctive. And I know I always say Forbidden for everything but I truly believe them to be unique in the world of Thrash... one of the only thrash bands where the Metallica influence is almost indistinguishable. Extremely creative and unique! And Realm did preogressive thrash like nobody else, never heard anyone in thrash else who uses time-signatures in such a complex yet accessible way.

Agreed on Coroner Dave, but you can't really say them and not say Celtic Frost aswell IMBO.

Generally most good bands have their own uniqueness. Others do try to copy but thats just boring.

I've never heard a band sound like Damageplan before. I've heard bands try and fail.

Even then I wouldn't label them as nu-metal, the only nu-metal element that I hear with Damageplan is the downtuned groovy riffs that belonged to Dime in the first place.

nah, its pretty much nu-metal with solos and the Dimebag sound. Thats all - so in a way its just sludgy groove metal but theres nevery little distinction between the two anyway.

Another band I need to mention is The Beatles. Veyr unique, very few bands since have sounded even vaguely similar.

nah, its pretty much nu-metal with solos and the Dimebag sound. Thats all - so in a way its just sludgy groove metal but theres nevery little distinction between the two anyway.

Another band I need to mention is The Beatles. Veyr unique, very few bands since have sounded even vaguely similar.

There's a whole raft of bands who sound like the Beatles, listen to Crowded House, its just the Beatles with Aussie accents.
Nonetheless, clearly at the time they were beyond unique.

Nevermore are one band I would say sound extremely unique, sure Communic tried to copy them but they are the only band I would say sound even remotely similar.

There are a few in this thread I would raise an eyebrow at actually, especially Slayer and Pantera, there's at least 10 bands in every town in the UK who sound like one or the other, Pantera especially.