Most versatile extreme metal singer?

Extreme vocalists = vocalists in Extreme Metal bands

Not that hard. Mercyful Fate may be Black Metal, but they're not extreme. Besides, he's not very versatile anyway. He's never ventured into extreme metal vocals.

5thSeason said:
Vintersorg

Dan Swano

Mikael Stanne (ok so dark tranquillity isnt "extreme metal" but he is one hell of a versatile metal vocalist)
you can lump in dt with extreme metal imo. i think extreme metal is metal on steroids usually and agressive vocals beyond the phil anselmo level( ala death metal, black metal, etc) Stanne qualifies but i wouldn t call him versatile even though he s great. :headbang:

fat bastard said:
you can lump in dt with extreme metal imo. i think extreme metal is metal on steroids usually and agressive vocals beyond the phil anselmo level( ala death metal, black metal, etc) Stanne qualifies but i wouldn t call him versatile even though he s great. :headbang:

well he has an amazing raw voice for metal, but he can actually SING really well too, he has range, which is why i listed him.

I can't say I hear Black Metal in Mercyful Fate musically or vocally but lyrically sure. Listen to the style of guitar playing that is used, it's not used in BM at all. Then again if they started 'black metal' they determined what it sounds like nor have control in the direction of bands influenced by them after. MF sound traditional. I'd say Musically,vocally,characteristly more similiar to bands like Iron Maiden,Judas Priest,etc.. with a different image and darker musical tone. Listen to the music style from 80's MF and 80's IM.

I guess it depends.

Yeah, Mercyful Fate are NOT black metal, or extreme metal, for that matter. They are like Judas Priest with an evil twist. Some black metal bands were influenced by them vocally (Tearstained) and in terms of riffs (Grand Belial's Key), but they themselves are not a black metal band.

Mercyful Fate are certainly a Black Metal band, as are Venom. They created the genre, and had no control upon the eventual manipulation on it. It's more based on, of course, the ideology and atmosphere and the vocal stylings and rhythmic manipulations than other genres.

Allow Cronos himself to explain:

Interviewer: How do you feel about the Norwegians claiming that the 90’s music that they seemed to create is called “Black Metal” especially since they pay homage to Bathory instead of to you?

A lot of them pay homage to Venom as well. I mean, they’ve all got the Venom “Welcome to Hell” t-shirts. The whole thing is, they’re not really encapsulating the whole thing of what black metal is because black metal captures all of the metals, and Venom play fast songs and slow songs and moody songs and atmospheric songs... and they play only one style of music. They play like a death metal more like, and with a (in a Popeye voice) wicky wicky wicky wicky we... sort of like speeded up Popeye lyrics. There’s one fuckin’ song we heard a while ago. it was really funny. It sounded like Popeye singing “Oh I do like the babyside, the seaside.” I thought it was great! We were fuckin’ pissin’ ourselves laughing!

Apparently classifying something as extreme metal is more difficult than you suggest. I don't agree with King Diamond being versatile, but if you are willing to call early Mercyful Fate (heck, all of MF) Black Metal, that would to me, constitute extreme metal. On the other hand, the guy from Primordial lacks both the themes and sound to be anything remotely extreme metallish, but for some reason because his vocals are slightly 'shreikish' Primordial is suddenly extreme?

Ofcourse, none of this is really important to the thread, but there is a lack of consistency in the arguments put foward. Anyway, I still love Mercyful Fate and from what I have heard, Primordial is pretty wicked too. It seems that anything Life Sucks whacks in his sig, is worth listening too - I just got Mourningful Beloveth (I think its called .. and I'm itching to listen to it in full.)

Matt Chalk seems to be the favourite in this thread - Sceptre of the Ancients rules \m/

King Diamond alters back between different tone's/vocals since he can sing at any range. Ontop of that goes between characters, some even have a distinct sound. You can tell when he's doing(get your mind out of the gutter) the grandmother,etc..

He's brilliant and very open to approaches vocally. Not just him but the entire band is top notch musically,creativly,

Matt from Pycrohroptic just about ruined that band. The 'Tasmanian Devil' devil rules but Matt was not verstile imo plus gets on my nerves.

He basically sounds like this for 45 minutes.
10001008.jpg