Movies

My brother just stopped by with a bunch of DVDs for me to check out
Tonight's viewing will be
'Lord of War' w/ Nicolas Cage, Jared Leto, Ethan Hawke
the person with the most money gets the weapons, capitalism at its best -

Hitori said:
Ice Age 2
wonderful. funniest and cutest thing i've seen in quite a while. really, really good
seen it too last night.

:lol: cutest film i've seen - even better than part I.
ellie: "I am an oppossum :Smug: " - hahaha!!

and that squirrel is the best idea cartoonists had in a long time :tickled:
"eeh...peep?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just love those sarcastic remarks and dialogues throughout the film :p

gonna watch it this afternoon again

Since its been a while last two watched, here's the first one

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance ( Chinjeolhan geumjassi )

Korean Director Chan-wook Park treats us with his last entry to his rather open ended trilogy on violence following the success of both Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance to a lesser ( but not less deserved ) extend.

On Lady Vengeance, Chan-wook Park continues his open debate on the effects of vengeance and violence on people on what is possibly the most profound film of the trilogy.

The story begins with Geum-ja played by the incredibly talented Yeong-ae Lee, as she is released from prision where she has been incarcerated for the brutal kidnapping and homicide of a child, portrayed in one of the most memorable sequences in recent memory exposing the shocking contrast of Geum-ja kind semblance with the horror of her crimes.

As the story progresses we learn more about the situation of Geum-ja and the extend of her involvement on the crimes and her colaboration with Mr. Baek, role masterfully delivered by returning actor Min-sik Choi, which reveals eventually one of the most sickening characters to ever been portrayed on screen.

Of course this film wouldn't be complete without the vengeance angle, and Lady vengeance delivers, although the film takes a turn that will surely caught more than a few viewers off guard.

I feel is important to point this out since Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is the most effective film on the trilogy to introduce the viewer into the mindset of a victim, and thats because of the ambiguity of Geum-ja trying to cope with her guilt and search for a redemption that seems to be constantly just outside her reach, while at the same time is contrasted by the despicable Mr. Baek who singled-handedly creates a sense of righteousness which can cloud the judgement of even the most honorable persons keeping their most noble aspects out of reach and making them succumb to their pain and anguish.

In the end is hard not to sympathize with Geum-ja and her constant struggle, which is achieved not only by an excellent script but by Chan-wook Parks sheer display of talent. Every frame looks beautiful, the soundtrack is one of the most awe-inspiring tracks ive heard in a while and everything is delivered with Park's undeniable originality, this is one branch of storytelling style you must absolutely see for yourself to understand its beauty an emotional power.

A highly recommended film, not only to fans of the previous trilogy or people interested in its vengeance and redemption themes, but really to anyone remotely interested in a masterpiece of modern drama. If you're looking for a touching film that will stay with you for years to come, you need not to look any further.

9/10

Howl's Moving Castle - pretty good, but I still prefer Spirited Away story-wise. Technically, however, it's a great fucking animation.

Elephant - it's actually the third time I see this movie, but now it wasn't as good as before to me. I mean, I still think it is a rather good film, but maybe a bit too pretentious, I don't know. I feel there's something that isn't quite right with this, but I still can't figure out what it is.

So my intellectual movie of the week was Scary Movie 4. Pretty funny :)

^ :lol:

Ice age 2: Funny, but nothing like the first one. They included every single thing they could think of, making it a collection of jokes rather than a sequel. Good Cervantes said it: "Nunca segundas partes fueron buenas."

Scent of a woman: This week i watched it for the second time. It's one of my favorite movies, i think. Al Pacino and what's-his-name-from-Dead-poets'-society are amazing, and, in spite of the inspirational speech about integrity and whatnot at the end, it's a great film.

What the #$*! do we know?!: I don't agree with a lot of what's said in that film, and i've heard some reviews about it saying that it's terrible, but i don't regret watching it. I watched it with my mother, and it enabled us to talk about physics and emotions and the universe and probability and so on. I hadn't talked like that for a while. And, no matter how good or bad that particular film is, i'm glad they're making documentary-style films like that. That's the first step towards a more educated world. :)

I saw 'what the bleep do we know' on google... I didn't think it was trying to be a good film per se. Mainly just educational and it filled it's purpose extremely well (while also being very interesting). I don't really know what was in it that you could disagree with... The film doesn't try to proclaim anything... it just demonstrates some ideas in quantum physics.