Movies

Not so, it also gets into matters that doesn't concern physics, like religion and spirituality. They sort of have a Nietzschean take on it, and they made the big mistake of including the opinion of a certain mad bitch known to have made a Scientology-like cult. Don't remember her name, it was the fatty blond lady from the Institute of Illumination or something like that. Heh, just looking at her eyes scared the hell out of me.

And some say that the pics of the molecules that changed with the person's emotional state were simply shots of boiling and icy water. And there's a lot of other things that have been questioned about that film.

I can't say anything on that, because I know little of science. But at least I can tell their vision of religiosity and spirituality is seriously uninformed and full of stupid holes. At least on that matter, they're your typical idiotic exhalted postmodernists.

Haha, yes, when the film ended i said "i bet that lady is a mystic or something" and then the thing about the "school of enlightenment" came on. And the chap with the blue background who spoke really weird (kind of like a hindu teacher i had last semester) also said a lot of shit that's totally wrong (imo). And no, i can't walk on water even if i'm 100% positive that i can. Only Mikael Stanne can do that. ;)

QRV said:
Not so, it also gets into matters that doesn't concern physics, like religion and spirituality. They sort of have a Nietzschean take on it, and they made the big mistake of including the opinion of a certain mad bitch known to have made a Scientology-like cult. Don't remember her name, it was the fatty blond lady from the Institute of Illumination or something like that. Heh, just looking at her eyes scared the hell out of me.

And some say that the pics of the molecules that changed with the person's emotional state were simply shots of boiling and icy water. And there's a lot of other things that have been questioned about that film.

I can't say anything on that, because I know little of science. But at least I can tell their vision of religiosity and spirituality is seriously uninformed and full of stupid holes. At least on that matter, they're your typical idiotic exhalted postmodernists.

Actually that fat cunt is supposedly the one that pushed the film around and its supposed to be a propaganda film for her cult.

Well, I know I'm not exactly up-to-date but last week I viddied "Boys Don't Cry" and I was positively surprised. I used to somewhat doubt Swank's acting but this movie changed my mind completely.

A young woman (Swank) has a sexual identity crisis, meaning she's somewhat of a transvestite, and she engage into a relationship with another woman. Soon, her secret becomes harder to hide and since this is all happening in a part of the world where prejudice reigns, she ends up being in a lot of trouble.

Constantine- what a bunch of crap. What a waste of time.

Kill Bill- I finally saw this and I have to confess I found myself fast-forwarding some of it. A big let down, after all the good reviews I'd heard throughout the years.

The Wedding Crashers- I liked the brother, it was good though stupid and predictable. Maybe I was ok with that since that's what I was expecting.

Pride and Prejudice- even better the second time around

The Importance of Being Ernest- you can't go wrong with Wilde, it was wonderful

Hostal- very meh, I'll take true Japanese gore any time

also, in regards to What the Bleep- I confess I was quite interested the first time I saw it, then I read about how the woman who paid to have it done really claims to be possessed by the spirit of an Atlantis warrior and how several scientists wrote disclaimers about how what they said was misportrayed... and I realized what a clever, manipulative infomercial it really was

Caché

Michael Haneke delivers a powerfull yet extremely deceiving film that will surely not sit well with most people because of its nature, but its definitely worth seeing since its refreshing approach to film making is like a breath of fresh air on the formulatic productions that abound everywhere.

The films opens up with a very long and static shoot that oddly enough sets the mood perfectly for this film. We see what it appears to be a couple go through pretty standart affairs, only to learn they were secretly being videotaped. The person responsible for this recording or his motives are a comlpete mistery that this family cannot figure out. As the movie goes on we continue to see this misterious tapes that now appear with strange, cartoon like images with what appears to be blood.

Is hard to continue giving any more details without giving away too much of the movie but one thing stands out: If you're thinking "Oh a Mystery Thriller" you couldnt be further away from the truth, but dont worry, thats intentional.

The reason this film is so effective its precisely that is deceiving, it appears to be a very standart movie and truth to be told most people will think it is until they literally see the credits roll, but as cliché as it might be this is not a movie that can easily be understood in a single view, at least if you're not expecting it.

To elaborate, Haneke uses the plot, the mood, the setting the dialog, cinematography, camera work, hell: Every single aspect of fimmaking to illustrate and study our responses when we're confronted with uncertain things in our lives. The entire film experience is used to replicate and offer a small window into the state of panic we enter when we're confronted by something unknown to us, and how our reactions to those situations can affect other people.

This is a very complex film that is working on many different layers, and while many are directly related by traditional film elements like plot, character study, camera work, etc. some of them are extremely relevant yet only implied at must. Things as socio-economical background, cultural and racial confrontation, many different seemly unrelated subplots that are none the less derivated from the tension build by the main one, even a particuary shocking event that seems to serve no real propose: everything in this movie serves its propose to portray the experience of confrontation with the unknown.

The deceiving part is that all of this conclusions one can only arrive to afterthe film has ended and one evaluates the elements. Because for the duration of the film ( and probably long after, there is absolutely no shame in requiring second, third, or more viewings ) up until well into the final credits, this movie just feels like one unfinished mistery movie that is not properly resolved. The only "clue" the remarkably uncompromising director Haneke offers is the mere fact that the user has to ask himself "Ok what the hell did I just saw" at the end of the movie.

But the beauty is that the question on itself, serves the movie's propose perfectly well, so its a weird feeling of being actually involved and part of the film making process, if there was ever a film which artistic value involved the audience reaction to it as much as the work itself this is certainly the perfect example.

All in all the movie is one of the most interesting experimental films in recent years, one that might be a little too obscure for many people not used to being confronted by a film, but a welcome experiment that for the most part succeeds in everything it sets out to acomplish.

8.5/10

Watched V for Vendetta last night. A pretty weird movie actually, not content-wise, but genre-wise.
I guess it's quite a good realisation of the comic and it surely is above the average for an action movie or a comic-based movie, yet what's with the rest? Is it an antiamerican movie? Does it want to make the viewer more aware of what their government is doing?
One message of the movie seems to be "This is what happens if you dont stand up for your rights, if you ellect extremists and let them do their thing" yet the way in which it's done kind of implies that the viewer is pretty stupid. Like, it's kinda obvious this "leader" is meant to represent Hitler in a way, but we still get shown that flag with the svastika, as if we hadnt already understood. Everything is very simple, very black-and-white. America: Warmongerers, very bad. UK: Dictatorship, very bad. V: Revolutionist, Terrorist, yet the good guy. The happy ending is of course obligatory.
Very boring imho

^^
I thought V was about loss of freedom and identity in a totalitarian world with a little greed thrown in and maybe the power of the human spirit.
As for 'the leader' representing Hitler, to me it was Lenin?

#2 Where have they been lately
Edward Norton
'the Illusionist'
coming in August

#3 One that is so bad its probably good
'Snakes on a Plane'

Watched a bitter Sweet life last night.

It's yet another rather immense Korean revenge thriller/action. Pretty much flawless on every level. Direction and cinematography is like a hybrid of oldboy, Seven and Dirty Pretty things. The acting is really captivating, probably because the characters are so interesting. The actual plot is immense and the narrative is a similar sort of Sympathy for MR vengeance Circular linear structure... where you know this key character is finding himself and we're taken along on the journey, and yet there is an equilibrium, disruption and an ending.

It has some scenes that really stand out in my mind. The finale, and the scene where he is kidnapped.

I really want to see Ultraviolet, even though they say it's crap. I really really liked Equilibrium, so I got to go watch this one, whatever the outcome may be.

I just wonder why I chose a girl that has a strange sort of hate towards movies, and it takes me more than a month of constant asking before she agrees to go to the theater, that if the movie is still playing. And I hate going alone.

In attempt to redeem all of my spammy in the past 47 minutes:

Akeelah and the Bee

Cliche ending, good actor and a few hilarious parts. B.

I saw Ice Age on TV two days ago - laughed my ass off.

Black Cat, White Cat from Kusturica in cinema yesterday. The same effect as above. To be continued in the Concerts 2006 thread.

Saw Pulse last night.

A well made Japanese horror movie that sort of fizzles out towards the end. But the first hour is immense. The mise en scene is really unique, and the cinematographer clearly did well to keep constant tension through out every single shot. There's always a dark window blurred out in the background, or a door slightly a jar that you just expect to burst open any second. Brilliant.

The most memorable scare is the first ghost in the forbidden room... the way she moves towards her victim and just the way the entire thing is done in very few takes and clearly framed with long midshots with the wall in the background working as like a canvas for the truly haunting ballet that ensues. Very nightmareish.

I give it ***

Boy does anyone on this fucking board watches something worth watching anymore? You ALL need to get fucking emule and start downloading movies worth seeing instead of throwing your money away on garbage like "ice age"