Movies

Ultraviolet, finally. And it sucked. Strange, because Kurt Wimmer created one of the finest action movies of this decade, Equilibrium. And this one goes pretty much on the same vein, but it's very slow and boring and the action scenes are scarcely varied. The visuals, though, are very good. I heard they cut off 30 minutes from the film, but even if they are important to the story, I don't think they could ever save this. Damned disappointment.

Belleville Rendezvouz... Wow. I remember not being able to watch it when it first came out cos it creeped me out so much. Not much has changed since. It's such an exagerated yet true sureal reflection on reality... my favourite example would be the bendy waiter at the restaurant. The story is totally wild, and keeps you gripped because it is just so very very unpredictable. I mean, I sort of assumed it was just going to celebrate animation, but I was wrong... One of few films I'd actually give 5 stars to.

Silent Hill.

As a big fan of the videogame, this left me very happy. The atmosphere is so so good, boy. Hell, some things were even creepier than in the games. The nurses, the cockroaches, the babies, fucking Pyramid Head... I've never seen better monsters in a horror movie. It's all very loyal to the games - the school, the chapel, the hospital, and their alternate "evil" versions. This is definitely one of the few horror movies worth watching this decade.

Woah, see now I saw it and really thought it was just god awful. Alot of people had told me it was a great film, so I went in expecting something, like, how should I say it, not fucking terrible. I mean, the scares sort of worked at first, but then they are over done and drowned in CGI... Like the babies... just one mutilated crispy baby waddeling around would have been scarier than an army of about 300 appearing from literally no where. And the dude with his feet tied to his head, he was scary 'till he started touching the wall and then once again, they over did it.

Although I agree about the atmosphere. The cinematography was actually pretty mint in places, like at the church. Also it was unlike any other film in the way it just pushed around like a computer game, puzzles and such, and no real progression of plot.

Last night I revisted the Elephant Man, after 10 years. Spent the entire film in tears pretty much. Absolutely wonderful movie.

I agree, that's my fave Lynch movie.

And, well, Silent Hill is all about atmosphere and, like you said, that's the original part of it. I downloaded it and the quality is awful, so I'll have to go to the theater once it gets played here - I'm sure I missed a lot of details. Anyway, it isn't really scary and story-wise it's mediocre, but still I enjoyed the formal aspect, the way the video-game was transformed into a film. And I'm a huge fan of the game, so I did had some fun watching it.

Otherwise, I agree it's nothing remotely trascendental, but a mere matter of personal taste.

Syriana ... just picked up the DVD and this is the best movies I've watched in many months, takes a hold of Your mind and is very intense.
Its got it all corruption, religion, geopolitics. Very complex story of the USA's oil addiction.
Has an underlying story of what makes a suicide bomber do what they do. Gave me somewhat of an understanding of these actions?
Written and directed by Stephen Gaghan, who also gave us Traffic, another thought provoking movie.
Recommended -

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore : God, when you think that it's the same Scorsese that made Gangs of New York...He sure went down since is early days...

The Tenant : I'm speechless. The best Polanski movie I've seen yet. That's one memorable psychological movie.

Ultraviolet - crap, don't waste your time on this shit :( Wimmer disappointed this time around.

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang - atmosphere of LA captured, easy popcorn movie, has it's style, quite entertaining.

La Rocque said:
Syriana ... just picked up the DVD and this is the best movies I've watched in many months, takes a hold of Your mind and is very intense.
Its got it all corruption, religion, geopolitics. Very complex story of the USA's oil addiction.
Has an underlying story of what makes a suicide bomber do what they do. Gave me somewhat of an understanding of these actions?
Written and directed by Stephen Gaghan, who also gave us Traffic, another thought provoking movie.
Recommended -

I watched it in three sessions, boring as fuck, hardly understood what was up and why. Waste of my time, really.

Manderlay: Certainly a good movie with stuff to think about, but unfortunately it doesn't stand up to Dogville in my eyes. Especially since one is bound to make comparisons. And i think that apart from the message that Trier is trying to pass, it feels like he gave us everything on Dogville (which was a shocking experience for me, and i still have intense feelings just by recalling it) and didn't have anything new to surprise us with on Manderlay.
There was a scene though that gave me the chills for a remarkably long time, and that has made an impression on me: the one of the little girl's coffin.

Breaking the waves: I didn't like it as much as i expected, part of it could be blamed on the fact that i already knew what happens. I really disliked the ending scene. I mean, i was ok with the ending concept, but the final image was too much in my opinion, out of place, not fitting with the rest of the movie imagery, and i would have liked the movie to end just before it so that the viewer is left with more open options and wondering.

7th Seal: This was the second time i watched it. Better than the first. And i have a feeling that the more i watch this movie the more i'm going to love it.

La Rocque said:
I also watched this movie to days ago. sadly the dvd had some scratches and I didnt saw anything from the scene where cloney get kidnapped until he tries to hack into a computer. must borrow it a second time, but very interesting and realistic movie...and sad one

@siren: agreed, agreed, agreed multiple times. nothing compares to dogville, especially the finale.