Movies

I resent the obnoxious, illiterate imbeciles from my country who, sheathed in their complete ignorance of English, keep on sharing copies of the film The illusionist labeling them The prestige, only because the two fucking words are similar in Italian translation. So there is a percentage of rambunctious idiots who will happily lap up Norton's effort and confuse it with the other movie. I would be tempted to get The prestige in the original version, but the download would be considerably longer since I'm on a LAN of national users which can do 600k/sec easily and the moment I leave it I'm stuck with teh horrore of slow downloads.

I saw The Illusionist in the summer and liked it. I already downloaded The Prestige (the original version) and will probably watch it in the week-end.

Not to turn this into some warez discussion, but I'm baffled by complaints of slow downloads. Each day I obtain more records, tv show episodes and movies than I could possibly hope to watch/listen to even if I were unemployed and single and rich. That's without more effort than checking about ten sites and using one p2p program, plus the Web.

I usually only use one prog, and one website. But for the most part, it comes down to my shitty connection. Again, not to derail too much, but I'm sharing bandwidth with 5 other computers, and trying to run WoW at the same time (unless I'm sleeping or at work - and invariably my connection will cut out at some point during that time period).

Back to movies, though, has anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth? I've been hearing people rave about it, but I'm not even sure what it's about.

~kov.

@rahv - i normally use p2p for 30 to 60 mins per day for a variety of reasons, so i need fast downloads. also, most things i choose to get on a whim, so i want them right away.
and why am i not surprised that you loved a movie starring edward norton? :D

I feel pretty much the same way. I figured you'd like the whole Greek aspect too :p

That, and I'm astounded by the fact that the abs in that movie are real. Makes me wish I wasn't so lazy.
Actually, it's the whole abs aspect that i like. :p

@Kov: :p

I watched Apocalypto today. I had read reviews of how bloody and violent it is, so i was kinda disappointed. It wasn't nearly as bloody as i thought. Nor as epic as i expected. But it was still a good movie, it kept my attention for the whole time and i didn't even realise how quickly the 2+ hours passed. I also loved the fact that it was shot in the Maya language and that it offered a glimpse in how that civilization was. I also suspect that the greek subtitles sucked, i'm looking forward to re-watching it with english subs. Oh, and i've never seen such body decoration in my life before.

@Kov: let me know what you think. :) and well.. nothing like watching men in thongs running around in a huge theatre screen. :p

With weapons, blood and gore. OK?

Those are the reasons I'm seeing it.

~kov. (Though, your reasons might would work for the fiancee... which is probably the last thing I need... 'See, why can't you look like that?')

@Kov: would it help if i pointed out they're dirty and have scary teeth?
that could help counter the fiancee's requests... :p

and yeah, i went for the blood, gore and violence as well. 101 ways to kill. :kickass:

Dirty and scary teeth might actually help out... thanks :p

Watched the Prestige last night. Very interesting movie. Wasn't so happy with the odd technological twists, but I thought it was otherwise really well done. Unsurprisingly, I thought Bale did a better job than Jackman, but then, I thought they both did a good job of portraying their characters.

Started Apocalypto this morning. About 45 mins into it right now, but have to wait till my commute home to finish it. Seems rather interesting so far.

~kov.

If to choose between Illusionist and Prestige, I will go with the latter.

I'm kind of employed, single and have some $$$, but I'm out of time watching everything I want of what is in my path.

OK, I've been watching Seinfeld, and prolly will pick up all the seasons released so far on DVD. I love it that much, and they are that not expensive :)

...and they are that not expensive :)

For a reason...

And don't go callin me a kinda-NY'er again. I did live there for the better part of 5 years. :) I'm not saying his observations are wrong - I recognize that they are, for the most part, correct. I take exception to his delivery, the obviousness of his jokes, and his voice. The last one makes me want to flay the skin from his body.

But, to each their own. Not everyone finds Mitch to be funny (or, rather, found him), but I sure laugh every time I hear him.

~kov.

For a reason...

And don't go callin me a kinda-NY'er again. I did live there for the better part of 5 years. :) I'm not saying his observations are wrong - I recognize that they are, for the most part, correct. I take exception to his delivery, the obviousness of his jokes, and his voice. The last one makes me want to flay the skin from his body.

But, to each their own. Not everyone finds Mitch to be funny (or, rather, found him), but I sure laugh every time I hear him.

Yeah, you got to adjust to soem things. Like, laughter in the background (seemed so ridiculous to me back in the day, but on my own I figured it was a part of the show), George, ridiculousness of situations, but still - it's the best and only [live comedy] sitcom I'll ever watch.

But - how can you not love Kramer? :lol: Richards might be a jerk in real life, but Kramer is one of thebest comic characters I have ever seen :loco:

Box-sets are "open-box" and $19.99. In one of the best Philly metal shops, which is (literally) around the corner from my place.

Haha, no, not really. Though there are a couple of jewish people I hate, but that's because they're complete assholes, not because they're jewish. I genearally make it a principle to hate people based on their individual actions. I don't like hating other people for the actions of one person they don't even know.

It does make remembering the reasons for each people more difficult, but I think I can handle that.

Thinking about the Prestige - the more I think about it, the more I like the movie. It's fucking with my head, too. That whole line about how we all know what's really going on, we just don't want to see it? It makes me wonder if I actually knew all of the twists ahead of time. (I certainly knew how Jackman's trick was done, but the menagarie was something I was unprepared for.)

~kov. (Just joking, I don't hate that many people.)

I don't make any exceptions - I hate everyone :heh:

I met very few people who l ived to a stereotype of a jew (except Hasidic jews), so I can't be an anti-semite, cuz I don't really get into all origin thing after I already dislike a person (and I don't dislike one just knowing he is from... Burkina-Faso... well, if he's from Russia or Moscow - that's a different story, we go way back).