Movies

The last one makes me want to flay the skin from his body.
I see Apocalypto is already becoming part of you. :D

By the way, i want to ask people here a question. When i see a good movie that makes me think or affects me in some way, i need at least a couple of days before feeling like watching another movie again. I kinda feel that watching another movie the next day or so will ruin the effect of the first one and it won't let me absorb it very well. Does anyone else feel that way or am i being a wacko?

Ordinarily I'd agree. But my mind is so effed up, I can basically process both movies at the same time. Of course, they're running at 20% capacity each, but they're goin simultaneously.

It's unfortunate that it's how I am with everything, though. Either I single-task really well, or multi-task like a goldfish.

~kov.

By the way, i want to ask people here a question. When i see a good movie that makes me think or affects me in some way, i need at least a couple of days before feeling like watching another movie again. I kinda feel that watching another movie the next day or so will ruin the effect of the first one and it won't let me absorb it very well. Does anyone else feel that way or am i being a wacko?

I feel the same way. Its really a strange experience, I usually feel a lot more sensitive to completely ordinary things, yet at the same time I feel like walking in some sort of numb haze. I am quite useless in this state of mind. :D

Not to take away from the interesting question Siren posed, but I had a quick one myself.

Has anyone seen Syriana? If so, did the version you watch have subtitles for the Farsi? I think I'm missing out on a good chunk of the movie, here... :-/

Apocalypto was definitely less bloody and such than I thought it would be. Interesting beginning, a bit predictable in the jungle chase, and somehow I forgot my history long enough to be surprised by the ending. Maybe I was just tired. It was good, just not incredible.

~kov.

There are a couple of DVDSCR versions of Hannibal Rising floating around teh Internet.

Not that I care, mind you. :D

A little related to the police brutality discussion in the chat thread; yesterday I went to the cinema and saw The departed. It was great.

Not that I'm very neutral in this case as Jack Nicholson probably is my fave actor evah, but don't bother about that, go see it! :p I know that he kind of is playing "himself" in all movies he's ever been in, but it always works out great imo.

Last night, for lack of better things to do, I watched Rocky Balboa. It's terrible. Slooooow. Dialogues of unprecedented idiocy. And the very idea is stupid, although there is at least one smart plot device in the last 20 minutes.

Ok, so finished most of my movies off. Watching A Scanner Darkly right now. Thought the book was rather good, so I'm actually pretty interested in this. So far it's pretty true to the book. It's quite a mind-trip, but they seriously couldn't have cast it better if they had tried, rather than putting up a sign saying 'free drugs' and casting whoever showed up.

~kov.

Lock, Stock is awesome! Haven´t seen Snatch yet but I´ve heard alot good about it. I really liked the way they filmed some of the shots, like when he plays cards with Harry or when they drink themselves beyond human comprehension, with the camera going wild and spinng all over the room. Great ending too!

I actually haven't finished either of them yet :p.

I've got one on my iPod and both at home. So I'm actually watching them both simultaneously, which is both confusing and awesome.

I've also realized that I'll never be able to visit you, KC. I'd laugh too much any time I heard a strong accent.

~kov.

@Kov: Both of those movies are very good. I like that their style is different than the rest of the movies, they have something special. But i can't fathom how you manage to watch both at the same time. o_O

Well, I started Lock, Stock, but didn't have it on my iPod, so then I watched Snatch all the way through, and finished the other last night. I loved both of them so much. Excellent movies. And I definitely need to get the soundtrack.

I also need the one from The Departed, which I just watched this morning (30-45 mins to work, 45-60 mins out to field site, same back). Also a very well done movie. Intriguing, if nothing else. Made me realize what I'll have to put up with when I move to Boston. (See: Rahvin's comment about dying and being reborn without ears.)

Next up? Boondock Saints. Always meant to watch that one.

~kov. (Movie reviews brought to you by the wonders of codec-converting software that allows me to watch my perfectly-legal-microsof-licensed movies on my iPod.)

I just saw "The Machinist" for the first time, a movie that I've been hearing about for a while but never got around to.

Starring Christian Bale (Batman Forever) and Jennifer Jason Leigh (who's been in just about everything and has also been naked in most of it). Bale portrays a machine worker who is quickly going completely insane and JJL is his prostitute/girlfriend.

Great film.......just great. Check it out.

LOVE "The Departed". Saw it with a friend right after it came out and we've been speaking (actually, more like screaming) Bostonian to each other ever since --

"YOU'RE WICKED RETAHDED!!!!"

"NO, YOU AHHH!!!!"

Saw You Me and Dupree... Not as good as most of the frat pack films. It was just an absolute stress fest with very little comic relief. And I am going through some similar things at the moment with work being shit, freinds being shit and for a while my girlfriend was being really shit too. But everythings a little better now... Work is still shit but *sigh* what can be done.

The Machinist was great, really was. Good movie all around.

And yeah, boston-ese is pretty funny until you realize they actually speak that way.

Finished up Boondock Saints last night. Schedule for today: New BSG episode.

Now Watching on iPod: Snow's cover of Lux Aeterna

~kov