Movies

I was surprised to see such a good movie on the tv as Matchstick Men yesterday. I didn't know much about the movie beforehand (which was quite nice), all I knew that Nicolas Cage was in it. Cage did a fantastic job as an neurotic con artist, one of his best performances I've ever seen. The other characters were good aswell. The plot seemed quite simple but has a nice twist and the character development really kept me interested.

Saw 300 on Wednesday. Visually close to perfection - the combat scenes (well, the whole film is basically one combat scene) are fantastic. I only couldnt help finding it a bit pathetic, and also the use of that american-shakespearean-british english in these kind of films makes me smile.

Actually, I saw 300 last night, and enjoyed it to great extent.

Actually, I hadn't been anticipating this movie and I didn't really want to go, but my girlfriend dragged me into it... : / Afterwards I could only be glad that we had gone, haha.

I saw Babel back when it was in theaters, it was incredibly good. I love how all the little parts of the moive tie into the main plot so seamlessly, and the actors were great. This director really knows what he's doing.

I also seen Smoking Aces sometime ago. At first I thought it was so so, but afterwards I realized how intertwined the stories were, which usually gets my vote on movies. Not to mention there are some pretty funny scenes in this one, and I liked the fact that Ben Affleck was among the first people to get cut. :lol:

Bridge To Terabithia was good too. Actuallly, it was really imaginative which strangely made me think of Burzum often through out the movie, at least some of the forest scenes anyways. Though it was a kids movie, I liked it quite a bit.

I can like any movie really, I'm pretty open with that, but I prefer movies that are more complex, and deep. I'm more into the story usually than the visuals. Either way, if its at all worth anything, I'll like it.
:loco:

I saw a good chunk of 300 in my local barbershop while waiting for a haircut. Aside from the cartoonish look, the action/fighting was decent but I don't dig totally unrealistic fighting scenes. But the plot and narration were terrible to me.

EDIT:
One thing I was happy to see was the guy who plays McNulty in the amazing show, "The Wire," playing an oracle or wise-man. That made me laugh a bit.

the action/fighting was decent but I don't dig totally unrealistic fighting scenes.

This is quite relative, you know. A "realistic fight" is pretty far away from what most people think it is. I've witnessed numerous streetfights (oftentimes armed), and seen plenty of "no-holds-barred" sports-fights from around the world. I've also spent most of my life trying to simulate various scales of combat for gaming purposes, and I have friends with similar interests who have actually studied these things on university-levels. Our conclusion: more than 99,9% of the fight-scenes in Hollywood-movies (not to mention the Asian cinema!) are, indeed, totally unrealistic. No matter how much they digitally edit the audiovisuals, the fundamental flaws in what the moviemakers think (or want to make us believe) of "realistic fighting" is so far away from actual reality that it's ridiculous. The movies made today have pretty much just as unrealistic fight scenes as the movies of the 1950's - they just have computers and better stuntmen.

Summa summarum: I actually like it more when the fight scenes are not even trying to look realistic. Sin City was brilliant in that sense, and I hope 300 will be just as great - going to see it on Wednesday.

-Villain

Yes Villain I agree with you, but I'm no street-fighting junkie. I guess what I mean is that in war movies, combat situations, etc they should actually try to do a decent/good job depicting what it was actually like. This complaint is aside from the way-over-the-top glorification of Sparta/demonization of Persia in the movie.

I guess what it boils down to is I just don't see a whole of entertainment value in a few regular mortals killing 10x their number with almost no scratches on them. At least if they have superpowers or something it's understandable.

@anita_job: aside from the fact that a few regular mortals did in fact kill 10x their number with almost no scratches on them :)p), you have to realise that this movie is not a historical documentary. It's based on a comic, trying to bring that specific comic into 'life', and that's where its artistic value lies.

@anita_job, I suppose you didn't like The Last Samurai, eh? I myself, thought it was not-so-bad until Bushido-Cruise took on endless rounds of primitive machinegun-fire and survived, perhaps it was the steel-imbued American blood.

I actually like it more when the fight scenes are not even trying to look realistic. Sin City was brilliant in that sense, and I hope 300 will be just as great

The fight scenes are beautifully choreographed, some of the best work I've seen since Kung Fu Hustle IMO. Phalanx FTW.

@Siren: You beat me to the punch. :p I was going to write pretty much everything you said...

Yes Villain I agree with you, but I'm no street-fighting junkie. I guess what I mean is that in war movies, combat situations, etc they should actually try to do a decent/good job depicting what it was actually like. This complaint is aside from the way-over-the-top glorification of Sparta/demonization of Persia in the movie.

I guess what it boils down to is I just don't see a whole of entertainment value in a few regular mortals killing 10x their number with almost no scratches on them. At least if they have superpowers or something it's understandable.

I personally really enjoyed the movie. Took it with a pinch of salt, and the cheese just topped it off! Very interested in the style and techniques they used for the battles too... like the first major slow motion bit with Leonidis breaking out of the initial slam. Amazing stuff.

Other films I've seen recently... The Departed: it really is as good as they all say it is. And Down In The Valley: I agree with all the taxi driver comparisons. This film is filled with emotional drama and tension and tells a great story about a small bunch of flawed but amazing characters. Norton is amazing in it. first half hour is a bit slow and crappy, but it really gets better and better.

Duck Season (Temporada de patos) - it always strikes me, how some films manage to embody the Wittgensteins principle of showing instead of telling so beautifully it hurts. If someone asked you what was it about, you wouldnt be able to tell. It also proves that the film-makers in my country are lazy assholes begging the state for money, and having the lack of it as the only excuse for not making any films.

@anita_job, I suppose you didn't like The Last Samurai, eh? I myself, thought it was not-so-bad until Bushido-Cruise took on endless rounds of primitive machinegun-fire and survived, perhaps it was the steel-imbued American blood.

I agree with you. The end was stupid. It was I think a more accurate and balanced piece of historical fiction than 300. Also, on the 300 killing 10x their number, from what I understand historians don't have very much reliable info on the battle or on the guy who led it (don't know his name off hand).

I'm eagerly waiting Spiderman 3, Silver Surfer looks like it could be good. I'm not sure what to make of Transformers though. Any thoughts?

Also, on the 300 killing 10x their number, from what I understand historians don't have very much reliable info on the battle or on the guy who led it (don't know his name off hand).

Well, Simo Häyhä did kill 705 Enemies in the Winter War, granted, I doubt those "300" had sniper rifles or SMGs (Although the russians did).

I think arguing about whether they did or didnt is pointless, because the value of these events is symbolic, and thats where art comes in - its simply a great story, a great "legend" if you prefer (having a historical background, but surrounded by haze of speculations and exaggerations). Thats what the film tries to present imo - how important and inspiring these "legends" are, and how they actually influence the course of historical events. What do you guys think of Braveheart?

Re-watching The Lord of the Rings Director's Cut Trilogy and waiting for Grindhouse this Friday.

Also, on the 300 killing 10x their number, from what I understand historians don't have very much reliable info on the battle or on the guy who led it (don't know his name off hand).

It was ages ago, and IS true (more of a myth these days). Though the numbers are different: there were only about 300 spartans AND 1200 or something other guys, who weren't hardcore.

Persian army was about 750k, or even more (but if it was only 100,000 it is still incredible).

Leonidas kicked some ass (he was 51 or so at the time).

I don't care for 300 as it wasn't released in IMAX here, and advertising campaign was coming on too strong (but no wonder it made that much money!), but will surely catch it on DVD.

All I care about Transformers are those renders which were taking up to 38 hours per frame. Actually Spiderman 3 looks like a decent movie somehow... strange, as I watched 2 on high-speed, looking for special effects and stuff. Surfer is garbage, already.

Sunshine and 28 Weeks Later.

@Display of Character: :p

I don't want to get into the whole numbers debate, no matter how big the Persian army was, as marduk said, the symbolic value of these events is what counts.

I do want to mention another thing though. In the end, there were 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians left. The Spartans could not and would not leave because of their ideology and law. But the Thespians could have left..

That new Die Hard movie looks sweet. It's been ages since i last saw one.

I also watched Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941) directed by Alfred Hitchcock, it's a very nice and enjoyable movie. :)

the symbolic value of these events is what counts.
I agree wholeheartedly. Its one of the best "underdog" (if you can even call it that) stories in mythology. I happen to be a big Grecian history fan as well. My high school mascot is the Spartan, to boot. :p

I do want to mention another thing though. In the end, there were 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians left. The Spartans could not and would not leave because of their ideology and law. But the Thespians could have left..
I think that's one of the coolest aspects. I find something honorable in the Spartans staying, as if they would fight even if they weren't compelled to. I still think the movie was highly entertaining, and that's the best thing I took from it.

I find something honorable in the Spartans staying, as if they would fight even if they weren't compelled to.
I second that.

I still think the movie was highly entertaining, and that's the best thing I took from it.
The most impressive thing for me was the similarity to the comic. I don't think they could have done a better job bringing it to the screen.