Movies

The Shining, Oldboy, Yojimbo, Rainy Dog, The White Balloon, Apple, Raging Bull, Adaptation, Blood Simple, Fargo, etc etc etc... this list could go on...:err:

Just watched Pan's Labyrinth. Very nicely made darkish fairytale, the makeup is amazing.

Watched "Der Baader-Meinhof Komplex" two nights ago. I liked it and it I can give a recommendation at least to all Germans. Not sure how interesting a movie about the RAF (Rote Armee Fraktion, a leftwinged terrorist group which commited terrorist attacks between the 70s and 90s in Germany).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Army_Faction

The movie was mainly about the first generation of them.

I also watched Neverwas last night. Kinda interesting in its own way, especially how reality, fairytale and delusions get intertwined. Also interesting that the second movie i randomly picked up happened to be fairytale-related too.

@12: Yeah, i have been wanting to watch that for a while. I actually picked up Neverwas in a rush of excitement thinking it was Neverwhere. Then i read the title more carefully. :p

Max Payne.

Anyone else seen it yet? I would like to hear an opinion of someone who has not played the game. As for me the movie was a huge disappointment. The strengths of the game were a good storyline, great characters and a close to perfect atmosphere. I played Max Payne 2 on every single difficulty just to have the other (better) ending. It was one of the best games ever and one of very few "game noir"s. I loved the dark ambient, the dark, deep characters and I loved Mona and Max.
In the movie the storyline did not play a role, atmosphere was non-existant and the characters were dull, flat actionmovie characters (if you can call them characters at all). It wasn't a film noir as expected either, it was just an ordinary actionmovie. Shame on the moviemakers for wasting a great license.

Looking forward somewhat to Spirit and looking forward to Watchmen a lot.

edit: I might add that one of the worst parts of Max Payne was the German synchronisation (in Germany the film industry puts German voices into the movies and leaves out the original speakers. Sometimes they are on the same level and sometimes they are horrible, like in this case). Max and Mona both sounded like helpless little kids and Mona had a strong Russian accent that didn't fit at all.

Well it just works for me perfectly. There's everything I could want in a movie; intriguing plot, interesting characters, good acting, great cinematography, interesting theme(s) and can be viewed countless times..

"Are you watching closely?" ;)

I've come to the conclusion that The Prestige is THE perfect movie :Smokin:

Nolan is the shit.

I watched Memento recently and re-watched The Dark Knight: first one is just out of this world - the way it's shot and cut together, and the latter one started making a lot of sense (as watching it in IMAX for the first time I was more concerned about my jaw hitting the floor multiple times... and it was too dark as well - on Blu-ray it's all sooo much better).

[Memento]first one is just out of this world - the way it's shot and cut together

Indeed. It's one of the movies that fascinate me the most. There aren't many of those, I'm not that much of a movie buff, but the ones that do are almost literally etched in my brain from start to finish. On those rare occasions it seems like the director thought about every line and every shot past the point where a normal person would go mad. There's so much more about Memento than the "oh-my-I-didn't-see-this-coming" effect.

Nolan is the shit.

I watched Memento recently and re-watched The Dark Knight: first one is just out of this world - the way it's shot and cut together, and the latter one started making a lot of sense (as watching it in IMAX for the first time I was more concerned about my jaw hitting the floor multiple times... and it was too dark as well - on Blu-ray it's all sooo much better).
The Nolans (keep in mind that Memento is based on the short story by Chris Nolan and that he contributed to the screenplay of The Prestige and The Dark Knight ;) ) haven’t dissapointed me yet, having seen all of their work except Following.

The Dark Knight is among my faves as well - it may not be perfect but damn close and amazingly enjoyable on so many levels. Brilliant.

Indeed. It's one of the movies that fascinate me the most. There aren't many of those, I'm not that much of a movie buff, but the ones that do are almost literally etched in my brain from start to finish. On those rare occasions it seems like the director thought about every line and every shot past the point where a normal person would go mad. There's so much more about Memento than the "oh-my-I-didn't-see-this-coming" effect.
Indeed Memento has much more in it than the “twist” and is another perfect movie and IMO The Prestige with its elements is so perfectly crafted and taken as far as it could’ve been taken as well as f.ex. The Shawshank Redemption

It's funny, by the end of the movie I couldn't remember much of what I saw, like I had that condition of short-term memory loss - I couldn't put events together in the order they were shown, it was just another level the movie worked for me. Will watch it from the end to the beginning some day.

having seen all of their work except Following

Just checked on my Netflix queue, and Following was on the first page of reccomendations. Ordered right away.

Following is a worthy first from Nolan.

It's definitely not as accomplished as Memento but you definitely get the feel of Nolan and his out-of-the-box thinking. I saw it only once but I can definitely recommend it to any fan of Nolan's work.

Saw two movies today

Following, straight to my “to buy” list it goes. Like a prequel to Memento when it comes to narration. Recognizable Nolanish elements here and there. Although quite short (69 min) a very good and interesting watch - recommended to any fans of Memento, Christopher Nolan or good movies in general :heh: 7½/10

Following is a worthy first from Nolan.

It's definitely not as accomplished as Memento but you definitely get the feel of Nolan and his out-of-the-box thinking. I saw it only once but I can definitely recommend it to any fan of Nolan's work.
Agreed.

Secret Window, seen this before and remembered the twist but still a good watch and a enjoyable, basic, good movie. Johnny Depp is good as always but nothing special in this one, a memorable character nonetheless. 7/10

Planning to see later this week: V for Vendetta

Secret Window, seen this before and remembered the twist but still a good watch and a enjoyable, basic, good movie. Johnny Depp is good as always but nothing special in this one, a memorable character nonetheless. 7/10

I loved the sailor joke :D

BTW, giving any number to the movie - that's lame. I mean - is 7/10 is worthier seeing than 6/10 and less worthier seeing than 8/10? What's a 10/10 movie?

The best movie site I've ever been to (it's based in St. Petersburgh and all content is in Russian) uses another system: they have this scale that goes like:

Movie - Just OK - Trash

They have sort of "medals" for really good flicks, like "OMFG that's fucking AWESOME!!!" and different mental/clinical terms for really bad Trash movies.

So, using that - Secret Window is an OK movie. Memento is an "OMFG!!!" movie. And so on.

Fuck the numbers. They work on Netflix for suggestions, but otherwise - meh, I don't get the difference between 5/10-6/10-7/10. And there are no 10/10 movies (nothing is perfect), only some close to that.

I loved the sailor joke :D
Haha, I found myself this morning with a great urge to idle in a bathrobe - and so I did :D

I guess my brain needs to turn things into numbers and the IMDB slave within isn't resisting either :heh: It's quite impossible to rate entertainment or art like that and reviews are always more or less one's personal opinions. I'll have to start learning to express myself with "trash", "OK" and "OMFG!!!" then ;)

Fuck the numbers. They work on Netflix for suggestions, but otherwise - meh, I don't get the difference between 5/10-6/10-7/10. And there are no 10/10 movies (nothing is perfect), only some close to that.

Nothing may be perfect but if one is closer to perfection (10) than brilliance (9) I'd give it a 10/10

OK I need to stop these numbers from pouring into this thread o_O