MP3 organizing/tagging

Winamp's built in support seems a bit fishy. A week ago I disconnected my iPod after it had been hooked up to my computer and detected by Winamp without properly shutting down the USB device in Windows first (something I know you're not supposed to do, but since I hadn't in any way interacted with my iPod I figured it would be fine) and it corrupted my iPod's internal database. All my music was still there, my iPod just couldn't see any of it. It isn't really a big deal since you can have it rebuild the database but it was still annoying and makes me distrust Winamp's iPod manager slightly.

Gonna have a look at this standalone thing, it sounds neat.

Enable your iPod for disc use in iTunes.

Your iPod should show up under portables in Winamp.

Click on it's name and hit sync.

Winamp's built in support seems a bit fishy. A week ago I disconnected my iPod after it had been hooked up to my computer and detected by Winamp without properly shutting down the USB device in Windows first (something I know you're not supposed to do, but since I hadn't in any way interacted with my iPod I figured it would be fine) and it corrupted my iPod's internal database. All my music was still there, my iPod just couldn't see any of it. It isn't really a big deal since you can have it rebuild the database but it was still annoying and makes me distrust Winamp's iPod manager slightly.

Gonna have a look at this standalone thing, it sounds neat.

I tried syncing it today in Winamp and Winamp crashed. Fuck that shit.

http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/

(Nothing to do with Winamp iPod compatibility; better, independent iPod manager)

I will check this out. Thanks

snape_smiling.jpg

??

I have a 500GB drive mostly just for music using the ArtistAlbumTrack## TrackName system.
My mom gave me a 500GB external harddrive for Christmas 2006 and I still haven't opened it yet :p
I put the country of origin under the "Grouping" category and have it display. I recommend this practice.
What does grouping actually do, or is it like the comments field?
For iTunes, I just put the country under Comment.
I considered this, but if you run a search through something like MyTunes our OurTunes, tracks with matches in the comments field aren't displayed.
On iTunes there is a field where you can add the year it was released. If you want to add that to what is displayed at the top, right click the grey bar where it says Name, Time, Artist, Album etc. and click Release Date from the menu.
Yeah, I know it's there and I even fill it in when I edit the album info, I just like having the information displayed the way I have it now. Also, I don't think you can search by year in MyTunes or OurTunes, but it's been a while since I've used either one.

my genre tagging goes like this:

Grindcore
Noisecore
Industrial/Noise Rock
Rock
Heavy Metal
Death Metal
Black Metal
Doom Metal
Thrash/Hardcore
Various Genres (for comps)

Grouping = Comments, yeah.
Ah okay. I don't think I'd be interested then, because I like to put as much information as possible in the title, artist, and album fields, simply because nothing else shows up in MyTunes and OurTunes searches. Even if I search "metal," all I get is Metallica, and a handful of other tracks with the word metal in the title, artist or album.

Yeah, well I like it like that...it's how I've been sorting downloaded music for 4+ years now, so I don't see the necessity to change it. I also use Soulseek, and the user list system is best viewed when you have a branching organization system like mine. Makes it easier for everyone.

In 4 years I'm sure you got a ton of shit.

I got my computer over a year ago & for some reason I stuck with WMA & never changed it. I have many genres in there, I get pretty specific like you... Shit, I'm probably more specific.

My friend told me to use WinAmp & I never really messed with it to the point where I figured out how to move all my stuff into it with all my album cover & album info. When I tried to do that with ITunes it didn't import much of the information properly. I wound up deleting both programes to free up space & resources, but I've been seriously contemplating giving them another shot. I at least need to figure out the importing thing on WinAmp before I write it off. WMA is slow as shit & it sometimes locks my PC up for 15 seconds or so (I think that's what does it).