Mr. V's clean vocals!!

I liked Tool when I was 14 years old... it's just glorified alt-rock to me, with a bit of a prog mentality. Maynard has a good voice but he's ultimately a rock singer to me, lacking the sophistication and style of Mr. V, Simen, Ihsahn, and others like them.

Jari Maenpaa is another example of a vocalist who does great, epic clean singing and vicious grim vocals.

darcy said:
it's just glorified alt-rock to me, with a bit of a prog mentality. Maynard has a good voice but he's ultimately a rock singer to me, lacking the sophistication and style of Mr. V, Simen, Ihsahn, and others like them.

Exactly what Tool sounds like to me. You hit the nail on the head for me!

karpsmom said:
I've tried listening to Tool, so far I'm not getting it.
If you really want to appreciate Maynard's voice - forget Tool!

Go listen to A Perfect Circle instead, his other band!
I would suggest getting Thirteenth Step first, mostly because it's my favourite.
But the two other albums, eMotive and Mer De Noms, are excellent pieces of work.

A few songs to check out:
Pet
The Noose
Weak and Powerless
Orestes

Mr. V has the most distinguishable vocal range I have ever heard. Very dynamic and creative. I have never heard vocal progressions like his anywhere else. That is what I admire most about his singing. He always keeps you in suspense with the note changes. Very beautiful indeed to say the least.

Nolax Niles said:
As much I love his Death growls & Black Metal screams, I really enjoy his clean vocals. His clean vocals are up there with my other favorite singers with amazing clean vocals that also have killer growls: Mikael Åkerfeldt & Ihsahn.

Same here. Ihsahn's clean vocals don't even sound too different from Vintersorg, even if Mr. V is quite an unique vocalist.

karpsmom said:
That's interesting you think that. I don't hear any similarities between Ihsahn and Mr. V's clean vocals.
I heard a few similarities on The Adversary. It's not spot on but somewhat close.

Ihsahn really explores other areas of his voice in The Adversary, thats really cool.
The only album by APC was the first one, Mer De Noms, i thought it was great. The other releases have been dissapointing.

Hamock said:
i love the clean vocals on early vintersorg a lot and did kind of a cover type thing heh where i sang over norrskensdrömmar check it out and tell me what you think http://pwnt.co.uk/stuff/ockham/song/...20to god.mp3

i posted this on some other board and got trolled and stuff so please dont be rude with your criticism thank you!
haha at least sounds better than the time i tried to sing over Till Fjalls, thank god i deleted the soundfile...