Time for a change Mr. V?

Waterclime is a different style of music though. I like the aggression of Vintersorg, but I think the growls are growing stale is all i'm saying. Its not a stupid idea, it could open up lots of possibilities for the musical arrangements and vocal melodies in place of the growls. You have to think outside the box. Also it would make the music more accessible to people who dont understand the idea of grim vocals, thus it would allow Vintersorg's amazing music to reach more people. That is something I've heard Mr. V say he doesn't really want but I think it would be good. Like I said these are just my thoughts and opinions anyway, I still support the band entirely but I think they need to do some more exploring within the musical realm.

And Naglfar, no one is fighting over anything...at least i'm not. Just simple fan discussion.

haha... it's just an expression... fighting over spilt milk... I think the grim vocals is something very ingrained in metal music culture as is. However, when someone has a really good growl voice... like Dan Swano or Michael Akerfeldt... it's really something else. I'd like to see Mr.V work on his growl the same way that he works on his clean vocals. I agree to the extent that growling is not always pleasant because, well, you can get away with being a bad growler in ways you can't with clean singing. And it can get monotonous when it's not good. But that may be a function of Mr.V's growls perhaps not being as polished as his clean singing. On Epic, it seemed that Mr.V's growls weren't quite there, while on Empiricism they were fucking awesome. I don't think he's going to stop growling anytime soon; but he could put some more consistency into it.

haha... it's just an expression... fighting over spilt milk... I think the grim vocals is something very ingrained in metal music culture as is. However, when someone has a really good growl voice... like Dan Swano or Michael Akerfeldt... it's really something else. I'd like to see Mr.V work on his growl the same way that he works on his clean vocals. I agree to the extent that growling is not always pleasant because, well, you can get away with being a bad growler in ways you can't with clean singing. And it can get monotonous when it's not good. But that may be a function of Mr.V's growls perhaps not being as polished as his clean singing. On Epic, it seemed that Mr.V's growls weren't quite there, while on Empiricism they were fucking awesome. I don't think he's going to stop growling anytime soon; but he could put some more consistency into it.

true. maybe that is whats turning me off, is that his growls aren't up to par with some other vocalists. Akerfeldt is awesome and he really knows how to implement that stuff. The guy from Byzantine is really good with his growls as well. I think Mr. V's grim vocals work great with Borknagar, and yes especially on Empiricism.

Again you make a stupid suggestion ErikSL. I've yet to see you make a worthwhile remark on these boards. Of course he shouldn't stop doing the grim vocals. It's what sets Vintersorg apart from other prog. metal.

Rivfadír;6581595 said:
Again you make a stupid suggestion ErikSL. I've yet to see you make a worthwhile remark on these boards. Of course he shouldn't stop doing the grim vocals. It's what sets Vintersorg apart from other prog. metal.

its just a suggestion, chill out. And yea a lot of people disagree with me but I think I have the right to post my opinions. Its not like I bashed them or anything. I'm sure the band enjoys some constructive criticism every once in awhile.

And even though you made somewhat of a rude remark against me...I will still agree with you on that last part of your post.

I don't think he needs to change, I mean the past three Vintersorg albums have been perfect for me. I hate when bands change and it goes wrong, and it has happened so many times. Take Metallica for example haha! Even the new Disillusion album was pretty poo compared to their first release.
I heard someone in the Dark Tranquillity forum say that good bands dont change they perfect, I think thats what Mr V is doing at the moment and the same goes for Dark Tranquillity.
Character and Fiction aren't that different but Fiction is obviously better and amazing :).

I don't think he needs to change, I mean the past three Vintersorg albums have been perfect for me. I hate when bands change and it goes wrong, and it has happened so many times. Take Metallica for example haha! Even the new Disillusion album was pretty poo compared to their first release.
I heard someone in the Dark Tranquillity forum say that good bands dont change they perfect, I think thats what Mr V is doing at the moment and the same goes for Dark Tranquillity.
Character and Fiction aren't that different but Fiction is obviously better and amazing :).

haha, metallica is a fucking mess...once they hit the 90s shit went wrong real fast, still like em though.

I think Vintersorg always changes for the better, even though TFB was the most experimental it was still awesome.

its just a suggestion, chill out. And yea a lot of people disagree with me but I think I have the right to post my opinions. Its not like I bashed them or anything. I'm sure the band enjoys some constructive criticism every once in awhile.

And even though you made somewhat of a rude remark against me...I will still agree with you on that last part of your post.

Only somewhat? Damn, I have to try harder.

I think you've a fair enough point, be it right or wrong is irrelevant. Though you could just say "Why don't you play something other than metal? I mean it's so predictable!" and it would be just as fair.

I think you should try and find someone who actually makes music like Vintersorg, then you'll probably understand how original Vintersorg really is.

I think you've a fair enough point, be it right or wrong is irrelevant. Though you could just say "Why don't you play something other than metal? I mean it's so predictable!" and it would be just as fair.

I think you should try and find someone who actually makes music like Vintersorg, then you'll probably understand how original Vintersorg really is.

theirs no question that hes one of the most original artists out there, anyone who is a fan knows that very well...so originality wasn't what I was getting at. I was aiming for growth in the band, a positive evolution of aggressive, melodic prog-folk metal without relying on grim vocals so much...because simply the use of that vocal style is everywhere nowadays. I can bet money that Mr. V has to at least thought about this at some point in time.