Visions From the Spiral Generator

Finally some one mature enough to understand!!!
If most of poeple in forum talked like you Niniel it would be more interesting to read :)

We can't all like the same album, although I really like the second song on VFTSG I just can't seem to get into the rest of the album.

Nattestid, you really shuold get a more professional attitude. If you publish reviews in a 'zine, you have to be prepared to have it criticized - just like if you release an album. You speak of how others should "respect your opinion" when they criticize your review - but then, you don't seem to respect Vintersorg's opinion on how he shuold develop his music. (I am thinking of the comment on how some notes are in the "wrong key"). Of course you're entitled to an (educated!) opinion on the album - but others are also entitled to opinions on your review.

Smekermann, that wasn't funny in the least. Intentionally misquoting someone like that - it's something far more serious than people seem to think these days... Why not strive to represent things as truthfully as possible instead?

Originally posted by Smekermann
Also, where the hell did Mr. V say he does not "accept" negative comments?
Where did anyone say that about Mr V?

So basically what you're saying is, you don't care for instrumental arrangements much, you just like his voice. Ok. How about you go home and put on some Rod Stewart as well? God knows you'll grow up to be one of those people.
Well, that was pointless and added nothing to this...

*sigh* this is turning way too ridiculious! All I wanted to say is I didn't not like VFTSG it doesn't mean I think that what V creates is wrong and I hope it wont turn like this and that. He is a excellent composer and have an enormous talent, but does that means I have to like everything he does? Of course not!

I guess I got carried away because of some stupid teenagers like Smekermann put words into my mouth and make fun of every single words I write.

Anyhow the last quote thing you did is very low and shows a huge lack of maturity.

Personally, I love it when an album by an established musical artist comes out that pushes people's buttons. I like being challenged. In the end, I may not like the newest, most challenging work the best, but I always try to give it a fair shot. It is the right thing to do.

As for VFTSG, I was a bit disappointed in the first listen. I was expecting a progressive record, and it was. What I was afraid of was that it was progressive for the sake of being progressive. That can be a bad thing. But thankfully, further listens have provided me with a much clearer comprehension of the music and a better understanding of its intent. I really like it now. However, after 7-8 listens, I am just beginning to truly grasp it. We'll see as time goes on. It's kind of like the same feeling I had for Blind Guardian's "A Night At The Opera." It was too much to grasp at first.

As for comparing VFTSG with his other works, this doesn't really equate. It clearly is a different thing. Liking the older albums better is fine (right now, this how I feel too), but chastising an artist for progressing is ridiculous. One has to keep an open mind. My only words of caution to Mr. V would be that if he ever falls into the trap of progressing for the sake of progression, and is always trying to out-do what he has done in the past, this can be a very dangerous thing. There are a lot of musical precedences of this in the past. Look at the classic progressive rock era of the early '70's. A lot of those bands got crazier and crazier as time went on, and finally painted themselves into a corner because they could not out-do what they did before. In some cases, this provided an artistic intimidation and stagnation that they never recovered from (Yes and Emerson, Lake & Palmer, for example). I'm not saying Vintersorg is on the same road. There are a number of bands and artists who have remained progressive but also true to the nature of their natural sound (King Crimson comes to mind).

But the bottom line is, the artist has to follow their muse. Whether the listener follows along is another matter. But respect is important.

Peace,
Ulf

VFTSG is the way I felt at the time when I composed it... next album is the statement of our emotions during another certain period. So ULF, don't worry... we never do anything for the sake of doing it...just for that sake ..hmmmmmmmm*psycho*

I really can comprehend with negative reviews, I'm satisfied with the album myself, but we can't satisfy everybody with every new album. it's just the way it goes.

So speak your mind, our own satisfaction is like a bullet proof west. I really welcome discussing the album, as long it has some essence. I'm a shiny happy guy........and there goes the image..hehehehe

mr V

Originally posted by Luguber
Nattestid, you really shuold get a more professional attitude. If you publish reviews in a 'zine, you have to be prepared to have it criticized - just like if you release an album. You speak of how others should "respect your opinion" when they criticize your review - but then, you don't seem to respect Vintersorg's opinion on how he shuold develop his music. (I am thinking of the comment on how some notes are in the "wrong key"). Of course you're entitled to an (educated!) opinion on the album - but others are also entitled to opinions on your review.

Totally agree here...she has to prepare to get her reviews criticised as much as she criticise albums...
As I said I respect her opinion that she doesn't like the album, nobody is perfect, but she should learn to criticise in a professional way... and most of all respect other opinion as well!

@ Nattestid, I have a lot to do with music esp. the genre metal... that's all I'm saying about it, rest is private for a reason!

I brought VFTSG with me for a trip a few days ago, and I
listened through it like 10 times. It's my favorite Vintersorg
album now. Much more "mature" and "perfected" than the
other albums. Much is still Vintersorg, and there's also
new elements to be found. Thanks for the album, Vintersorg,
it's truly one of the best releases so far in 2002.

I found it a bit difficult to get "into" in the beginning though,
but that only makes it better in the end.

Hey! You morons! It is not because I say the voice touches me more that I don't like the musical arrangements! I'm a singer myself, and Mr V's voice was different of anything I've ever heard. But yeah, the music does play a role in my liking of an album, what did you think! And I have the right to prefer the older albums to the last without being ridiculized. AND I SAID I LIKED VFTSG ANYWAYS!!!!!! And no, opinions can't be criticized, they are the feeling of someone. You don't criticize someone when she loves someone you don't, you just say you don't feel the same. And I never said anything to say that Mr V didn't do great work, but I thought it was ok to say I prefered when he used his voice in a more powerful way.

I hate all the flaming that's going on in this thread :eek:(
And I thought I should just stay out, but I'm happy to
see that niniel has observed the same thing as me.

I am _NOT_ a singer myself (though I love to sing! lol),
but I hear the difference in Vintersorg's voice. It's not
as powerfull, and I miss the deep tones, all the
darkness , you know? Vintersorg has chosen this new
way to sing in, and I give him all my respect :eek:)

At first I thought it sounded pretty boring, but now I
really feel it fits the music. This isn't Otyg! >:eek:P hehe...

But yeah, sometimes it sounds like Vintersorg tries too
hard to hit the high notes, it bugs me! Hehe... But I'm
in love with this album. Whenever I put it on I get lost,
in something I don't know what it is...! It's great!

I have yet to write a review of this album, I am afraid
to cause I feel it is so much bigger than me. But I will
give it a try, when the time is right :eek:)

How sad this has become. People...read what is written, and not what you want to read just for the sake of an argument. Nattestid didn't disrespect those of you who like the album...and is rightly annoyed at being bashed for sharing her own opinions on the album. Personally...I could care less about the album either way. I didn't like it. End of story. If you all think it's album of the year, than a big fucking HURRAH for you.

stop this fucking madness! we have conflicting opinions... but there isn't reason to war... slow down ppl...

I got the new album in the mail a few weeks ago (I was one of the lucky bastards who managed to win the Napalm Records contest and got an autographed copy). Upon my first listen, I did not like the CD...at all. I was bitterly disappointed, as Vintersorg was among my top three artists. However, upon the second listen, I loved it. It only took me two listens to "get" the album. Now, I can't stop playing it.

I will be submitting a review to www.metal-observer.com within the next few days (I am a regular reviewer there, and have previously interviewed Mr. V for the site). I'm glad I didn't review it upon the first listen. It is a reviewer's duty to listen to an album multiple times before giving your opinions.

So, if Mr. V is reading this (which he probably is), I would like to say that it was a pleasure interviewing you last year (even if it was only an email), and a review will be online in the near future for any who are interested.

-Josh

Mocika (if anyone remembers her from back in 2002 or so..) sent me the following link:
http://www.avantgarde-metal.com/content/reviews2.php?id=24 o_O
Hahaha, that's got to be the most bizzare review to date. :D

Actually the painting of Universums Dunkla Alfabet made some kind of sense to me. The tightly packed small black are the fast paced growl bit, and the more spread out rings and red dots between the green lines is the clean sung chorus.... :loco:

This album is fantastic! Not my favorite, but just listen to it... it's a extrordinary success. I can understand that Andreas is looking into a new direction, like expermenting with sounds and lyric texts; infact, most bands do indeed do that.
Over all, it's not my favorite album (of course, I prefer the Swedish stuff myself), however, this is a brilliant masterpeice. I also think that nobody could ever do this, this is Vintersorg... there is no words to discribe his music, even if it does "suck" (to some people) - I still think that nobody could redo any of this or even come close to writing this well.
Period.
There, I think I have stated my mind enough and spoke very well.
Good luck, Mr. V!

heh

never saw this thread before, IT WAS VERY STEALTHY

i bought visions before i even listented to borknagar. the manager at the record store in the trendiest mall back home in san juan had built this huge metal section, just for us metalheads. he handed me visions and some other albums, said give 'em a listen. i'm really glad he did. visions is probably one of my favorite albums ever. i know focusing blur and solens rotter are much more polished and thought through, but it's visions i find myself popping in the car cd player during long trips (and i make many of those)

sometimes some albums just sound good. i think visions if one of them =)

Agreed. I love 'Visions' aswell. Probably my second or third favorite Vintersorg album at this point. It swaps it's place with the Focusing Blur.:)

He sees a paradise in every flower...