Visions From the Spiral Generator

anyway the main point is that visions is pretty different from the others. and theres many elements that evolved , theres many more electronic sounds and a more progresive aspect as well.
different yes , bad album no.

Originally posted by Vintersorg

Still I can't figure out that people that don't like the album spend so much time talking about it, I don't waste time on something I don't like, it's a major paradox in many aspects.

mr V

Taste can't be discussed? It's like I don't understand why people don't like "Witchcraft" from Obtained Enslavement Were you thinking that EVERYONE would like the album? The reason why I don't like VFTSG is because I think vintersorg's music is not unique anymore... it's sound is too much like that of "Empiricism". The thing I don't understand is, why is it people feel so threatened and get offended when people like me are HONEST about not liking the album?? Is this not a message board where people SHARE their OPINIONS?!?!

Originally posted by DeadWinterDead
Yeah... If you're just going to give it a bad review, why talk about it? I'd say, go listen to the other albums.

?!?? Of course you review bad albums as well?!
You hear and album and you don't like it, then
you tell your opinion. That's something I will
have to do in a couple of days. I have received
an album I am not really fond of, but I'm still
going to review it. I don't want to just drop it.
You have to offer both sides, negative and
positive. Do you trust someone who says every
album is a great album? :eek:)

Now this is just on a forum of course, but I still
think this is good, we share opinions :eek:) I can't
say I agree with Carnal Myer though! >:eek:P

Originally posted by Blackspirit

?!?? Of course you review bad albums as well?!
You hear and album and you don't like it, then
you tell your opinion. That's something I will
have to do in a couple of days. I have received
an album I am not really fond of, but I'm still
going to review it. I don't want to just drop it.
You have to offer both sides, negative and
positive. Do you trust someone who says every
album is a great album? :eek:)

Now this is just on a forum of course, but I still
think this is good, we share opinions :eek:) I can't
say I agree with Carnal Myer though! >:eek:P

You're right, people do give good and bad reviews... But I don't read reviews, because it's from that person's perspective, so I just download the band. As for trusting someone... No, because I need to check out the band first... And well, there are many albums I would say are great, but you'd think are terrible. That's why I don't mention some of my music on here...

Yeah, it is kind of good... But he says it's missing all the previous elements of Vintersorg, which it's not, it just has more.

As for you not liking Visions, why don't you go give it ten more listens before you go running your mouth off whining about how you don't like it? [/B][/QUOTE]

There you go butthead here's the review I did for our new magazine's issue! and why don't you also respect other's poeple opinion there might be a band that I think it's awsome and you think it's the bigest crap so!!!

Vintersorg “Visions From the Spiral Generator”
(Napalm records)
Vintersorg has been one of my favourite bands since the day I heard “Tills Fjalls”, for his uniqueness and outstanding clean vocals is what made Vintersorg stand out from the rest. I was very eager to hear Visions From the Spiral Generator, yet nervous due to his musical change since Cosmic Genesis. Knowing that Steve Di Girgio (Testament, Death) participated on this new album, I was already expecting a new musical direction from Vintersorg. My scepticism was not at all baseless, for I found that “Visions...” was much more difficult to accept than “Cosmic Genesis”. The first listen was heart breaking but then after a few more tries, some of the songs started to grow on me. There is still one song that I can’t seem to digest, however, and it’s “E.S.P. Mirage” beginning with some kind of attempt at an outer-spacey/cosmic-like keyboard sound, and base parts that really get on my nerves. Then Vintersorg’s clean vocals jump out in an almost disastrous fashion, and sound totally out of key when he tries to go high pitch. With Andreas being the lead vocalist in both Vintersorg and more recently Borknagar, the similarities of the two bands are almost at an even parallel, especially for the keyboards and the drums (as both of these respective musicians are also members of Borknagar). “A Metaphysical Drama” and “A Star-Guarded Coronation” in my opinion are the best achievements on this latest work, not to forget “Trance Locator”, which is the only fast and furious song on the album. The people who discovered Vintersorg at the time of Cosmic Genesis will surely enjoy Visions... but I find that unfortunately, Vintersorg has lost his distinctive sound. (4.5)

Just by the fact that you wont respect my opinion shows me that you are very ignorant. I listen the album many times like I said over 10 times. I accept changes I just don't like it you can't force me to like an album for fuck sakes!! geez how old are you 15 years old? or maybe 14?!!!!

Btw not just the keyboard but the drumming is similar to empiricism and if you listen well vintersorg is out of key on track#5 it's too bad he have such a beautiful voive and he ruined it in that soung!

end of the disscussion

Originally posted by Smekermann

Actually I am 18 or maybe 19!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah it shows by your attitude!!!

1 And I told you WHY, faghat. I find it hard to believe you listened to the album extensively and then proceeded to say how Lazare plays on every track on the album. And the drumming ISN'T similar. You can tell it's Asgeir, yeah, but that's because his drumming is distinctive. Other than that, I don't see how it's similar. I ddin't say he pleasy on all track get some glasses you twit! by the fact that he got members from borknagar shows too much on his new album and nothing can change my opinion

What is the point of calling me fagot?!!! Not only you are ignorant but you have prejudices n homosexuals!! I am a 25 years old female not a kid of 18 and it's not because some one else have a different opinion than you that you have to start screaming around and insult them!!!

Um... No he's not. Just because you find his vocal lines uncomfortable doesn't mean he's off-key.

They are off key if you know well music!

Hah. No.

Nattestid: It's an essential error in your review. Lars of Borknagar isn't the keyboardist on the album, it's me who play keyboard. Lars serves as a guest musician on the hammond solo on "A metaphysical drama" and for the similarity with Borknagar?????? if you have analysed the songs you'll understand that there's not much similiariteis except for my voice, so Vintersorg and Borknagar is kind of separated, and it's quite obvoius, me and Oystein have a different approach, but we may share a similar vision.

mr V

don't get the off key thing, totally harmony is in my opinion quite boring and dull, if it runs through an whole album, we try to bring more adventurous elements into our music. It seema that we have are contrapoints here Nattestid, I hate musical rules, so boring !!!!!the devlopment of music just fails when everyone goes by old standards.

Still if we talk music analysis it's not out of scale or tonal register, but guitars and vocals are operating in different areas, and that may feel odd and atonal, but it's not even if we go by old standards, but the combination of scales make it feel "weird"

But I can't really talk about our music, the album is our statement of the feeling we wanted to express, we can't say more or less about our emotions, the album is our statement

mr V

Originally posted by Smekermann

PS: How the hell did you land that job writing for a mag? My GRANDMA writes better reviews than you.

:lol:

imho it's mag like "cook potatoes in their jackets" or "buckle, clasp & strap" with column "aunt Nattestid advise" :p

Shit, everyone is talking about the new album and i still don´t have it! I ordered it weeks ago, but it seems to be a little delayed on the delivery.... I hope it is not lost as 50 % of my other mail. Shit.

concerning the "out of key - bad drum sound"- thing:
Metal fans shoud be used to records sounding not as perfect as the commercial hits like Britney Spears or Shit like that, because metal has to be produced cheaper. Probably any metal album could sound a little better if there where the same possibillitys to record and correct sounds, correct little mistakes of the vocalist via computer, if the band had months of preproduction and recording..., but then the music would loose part of it´s roughness and uniqueness, dont mistake that with being out of key. If you rule that strict, you will find mistakes on any album. I for my part prefer real drums to the boring perfectness of drum computers.

I do respect other opinion on music, as it is all a matter of taste, but it's obviously, that you still have to learn a lot about music and how to write reviews, Nattestid.
The way it has been written, it looks like a wanna be, the research is not correct or hasn't been done at all. All together I can't take it serious.

I do respect that it isn't your fave album, that's ok, I do know some albums of other bands which are not my cup of tea...
But I don't like to waste my time and talk about it...

Originally posted by Morgana
I do respect other opinion on music, as it is all a matter of taste, but it's obviously, that you still have to learn a lot about music and how to write reviews, Nattestid.
The way it has been written, it looks like a wanna be, the research is not correct or hasn't been done at all. All together I can't take it serious.

I do respect that it isn't your fave album, that's ok, I do know some albums of other bands which are not my cup of tea...
But I don't like to waste my time and talk about it...

Who are you to call me a wanna be?!!! I am very far from a wanna be, just because I don't like an album that you do do like doesn't mean I don't know how to write review you should learn to accept people 's opinion!

reviews suck ! only very few are objective. yours, nattestid, surely is not.

as for VFTSG, I must say that it hasn't got those outstading songs 'cosmic genesis' had (like cosmic genesis, algol or dwts), but it delivers the impression of astronomy & cosmos very well. thats what i like at 'new' vintersorg. its not that ''running through the wilderness catching elks'' music anymore but is still full of mysticism (without cliché)
thumbs up !!

Originally posted by Vintersorg
I hate musical rules, so boring !!!!!the devlopment of music just fails when everyone goes by old standards.

I still think development of the 12-tone method was one of those failures of musical development. :puke:
Then again, most 20th century classical music is quite unpalatable for me. (is that a word?).

Originally posted by DeadWinterDead
You're right, people do give good and bad reviews... But I don't read reviews, because it's from that person's perspective, so I just download the band. As for trusting someone... No, because I need to check out the band first... And well, there are many albums I would say are great, but you'd think are terrible. That's why I don't mention some of my music on here...

Well, I do enjoy reading reviews because I still hate downloading music. And now that I've found someone (Jim Raggi) who has similar tastes as me, it's made looking for new music easier. Sure, Jim doesn't have exactly the same tastes as me, but over time I've figured out what musical styles and what-not we disagree on, so I take those reviews with a grain of salt.

Hey!!!! I thought this board was about Mr V's music, and this thread about opinions on his last album, and not asskissing on his last album!!! If you don't want negative comments, than you are the ignorant ones! And if Mr V can't accept critics about his music, then why doesn't he make rules to forbid us to say negative stuff about his work! I think we have the right to express ourselves and I am sure Mr V can use negative and positive critics about his work. It might make him think a bit. I don't know if he really cares about it, but it is true that the essence of Vintersorg's difference was all in his special and most beautiful voice and way of singing, that he chose to forsake on this album. But he has a point about harmony, although it is something I search for in music, someone might want to break it a bit and it might even be really cool. But, I hope it wont turn like Spiral Architect, caus I could never like such a chaos in music, and I would be very hurt to hate any album of Mr V. And by the way, I like VFTSG, but I don't love it. I LOVE the other albums, caus it is the voice that touches me.