Music and the mind.

If you asked people on this bored, they would probably name their favorite death metal band, or a popular one if death metal isn't what they're into.

If you asked a member of the general population to name a death metal band, they would probably say something like Slayer or Metallica, because the average person really has no clue what real death metal sounds like and what the differences are between different kinds of metal. When people ask me what kind of music I like, I don't say "tech death," or "prog," because the average person will have no clue what that is, so I just dumb it down to "death metal." Even then, people still over-generalize the meaning of metal to include music that doesn't qualify, because they just don't know any better.

For example, one time a kid who worked in a kitchen with me asked what type of music I listened to and when I replied "death metal" he got really excited, raised his hand for a high five and was like "YEAHHH, LIKE FUCKIN'... TWISTED SISTER 'N SHIT!"

Naturally, I started laughing because I thought he was joking, but apparently he wasn't and genuinely had no clue what death metal is.

If I had to asked people to name 1 metal band what band will be anwser the most?

Obviously depends on the generation, old schoolers would probably say Iron Maiden or Judas Priest or Metallica.

Then like BMWG said, oters less knowing the difference between heavy metal and metal from the roots period might name their most commonly known pop metal(sunset strip) band like Motly Crue, Ratt or.... Twisted Sister... lol

As if any of this really matters.

Obviously depends on the generation, old schoolers would probably say Iron Maiden or Judas Priest or Metallica.

Then like BMWG said, oters less knowing the difference between heavy metal and metal from the roots period might name their most commonly known pop metal(sunset strip) band like Motly Crue, Ratt or.... Twisted Sister... lol

As if any of this really matters.

Depends I guess.Someone from the 70s would say Black Sabbath then someone from the 80s would say Judas Priest or Iron Maiden or Metallica and then someone from the 90s would say Metallica or Pantera.

I just think it is. I mean, for example, Dylan's stuff seems much more calm and smooth than TBDM. I can see why it wouldn't be odd, from a semi-jaded standpoint, but, its just.......what I already previously stated.

Sorry...I had to do it.:lol:Anyway do you think you can get angry to music.
Music can definitely make you angry, especially when you don't like the song, but the host / DJ / person listening won't turn it off and play something more tolerable. In fact, one of the things that I hate most about working with other people is having to suffer through their choice of office tunes. I become genuinely irrate when people are listening to Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, or Black Sabbath, but the degree of elitism portrayed by fans of these bands is beyond anything in my experience. I understand that not everyone likes my music, so I don't play it loudly when other people are around, but many of these people act like they're doing everyone around them a huge fucking favor by forcing them to listen to the one CD that they own for days at a time.

I even worked with a kid in a deli two summers ago who listened to Bob Marley all day every day and whenever anyone asked him to play something else, he would reply "dude... this is Bob Marley."

Oh, thanks for clearing that up for me guy, because I thought this music sucked, but now that I know the artist's name that changes everything :rolleyes:

EDIT: Nice fucking job, Tom Brady, I actually got pissed off behind my computer just thinking about those three bands. I even spent the past couple minutes just pacing back and forth around my house lamenting the fact that those bands exist. On the bright side though, I start thinking more creatively when I'm in a shitty mood or when I'm just really tired and I conceived of two jokes that all of you UMers are welcome to borrow, royalty free :p

Q: What's the difference between one Bob Marley song played on repeat and Bob Marley's entire discography?

A: A couple hundred dollars! :lol:

Q: How do you tell the difference between two Bob Marley songs?

A: The words are different! :lol:

Music can definitely make you angry, especially when you don't like the song, but the host / DJ / person listening won't turn it off and play something more tolerable. In fact, one of the things that I hate most about working with other people is having to suffer through their choice of office tunes. I become genuinely irrate when people are listening to Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, or Black Sabbath, but the degree of elitism portrayed by fans of these bands is beyond anything in my experience. I understand that not everyone likes my music, so I don't play it loudly when other people are around, but many of these people act like they're doing everyone around them a huge fucking favor by forcing them to listen to the one CD that they own for days at a time.

I even worked with a kid in a deli two summers ago who listened to Bob Marley all day every day and whenever anyone asked him to play something else, he would reply "dude... this is Bob Marley."

Oh, thanks for clearing that up for me guy, because I thought this music sucked, but now that I know the artist's name that changes everything :rolleyes:

EDIT: Nice fucking job, Tom Brady, I actually got pissed off behind my computer just thinking about those three bands. I even spent the past couple minutes just pacing back and forth around my house lamenting the fact that those bands exist. On the bright side though, I start thinking more creatively when I'm in a shitty mood or when I'm just really tired and I conceived of two jokes that all of you UMers are welcome to borrow, royalty free :p

Q: What's the difference between one Bob Marley song played on repeat and Bob Marley's entire discography?

A: A couple hundred dollars! :lol:

Q: How do you tell the difference between two Bob Marley songs?

A: The words are different! :lol:

:lol:Thoses Bob Marly jokes were funny.I am thinking the people who you worked with are old since they like all the bands you have said.You are right about that people trying to blast the music because they are some famous person or band when they don't like hearing your music.Try telling them that they don't like listening to your music and you don't like hearing their music.

:lol:Thoses Bob Marly jokes were funny.I am thinking the people who you worked with are old since they like all the bands you have said.You are right about that people trying to blast the music because they are some famous person or band when they don't like hearing your music.Try telling them that they don't like listening to your music and you don't like hearing their music.
I'm glad you appreciated the jokes, because the people in this thread sure don't :lol:

The guy who kept playing Bob Marley was actually a high schooler, which is actually pretty consistent with musical elitism in my experience. Another example of elitism was at a Boy Scout event of all places when I brought my own stereo and left the room for a moment to do I forget what. Anyway, upon my return, I found my disc on the table beside my stereo and some stoner was listening to some stoner music. While I didn't share his taste in music, I was more offended by the fact that he messed with my stereo without asking and then tried to physically intervene when I removed his disc. "You can't turn this off!" he interjected. "This is Black Sabbath!"

"I don't care what band it is," I said. "It's my stereo and I don't want to listen to this." His response to this was easily the most arrogant and unjustified remark in the history of musical elitism. Shaking his head dismissively and even with a sense of pity, he turned to his fellow stoner and lamented "kids today don't even know what music is." As if this wouldn't have been fallacious enough coming from an adult, this moron was probably three or four years younger than me.

I'm glad you appreciated the jokes, because the people in this thread sure don't :lol:

The guy who kept playing Bob Marley was actually a high schooler, which is actually pretty consistent with musical elitism in my experience. Another example of elitism was at a Boy Scout event of all places when I brought my own stereo and left the room for a moment to do I forget what. Anyway, upon my return, I found my disc on the table beside my stereo and some stoner was listening to some stoner music. While I didn't share his taste in music, I was more offended by the fact that he messed with my stereo without asking and then tried to physically intervene when I removed his disc. "You can't turn this off!" he interjected. "This is Black Sabbath!"

"I don't care what band it is," I said. "It's my stereo and I don't want to listen to this." His response to this was easily the most arrogant and unjustified remark in the history of musical elitism. Shaking his head dismissively and even with a sense of pity, he turned to his fellow stoner and lamented "kids today don't even know what music is." As if this wouldn't have been fallacious enough coming from an adult, this moron was probably three or four years younger than me.

Well musical elitism is not a great thing at all.

music elitism ?

would that be like calling Black Sabbath "stoner music"?

Or not even being able to listen to it ?

or that some band or particular stuly of music meets a single age demographic?

Or that one cant understand why 99% of the human population cant take more than 20 seconds worth of black metal?

Ya....... thats what I thought

What do people think about music and bad influence?Do you think a kid or teen will get influence by the singer or band lyrics and try to act them and get into trouble?

Are you serious ? You dont see the effects of whatever influence you can name around you everyday ? People are no differnt than dogs or chimps easily molded into what ever shape is desired. Monkey see monkey do. One of the most obvious examples is those that try so hard to outwardly show they have their own personal individuality are mere clones of someone or something they idolize.

Are you serious ? You dont see the effects of whatever influence you can name around you everyday ? People are no differnt than dogs or chimps easily molded into what ever shape is desired. Monkey see monkey do. One of the most obvious examples is those that try so hard to outwardly show they have their own personal individuality are mere clones of someone or something they idolize.

What I meant was like hearing a song lyric and then try to killed person.This stuff has been said a lot of times but I still think they would have killed a person anyway.