music at your funeral

Malaclypse

Oct 18, 2001
yep. i know. weird topic. but if you could choose, which song would be played at your funeral?

.. a distance there is... from Theatre Of Tragedy
would be my pick. kitsch overload, but i like it.

I actually thought about this a couple of times, and the song I would like to be played is The Mind's Eye I Think,
And I also want to watch my own funeral.

That would be:

° Tiamat - Gaia
° Samael - Static Journey
° Saviour Machine - Ceremony
° Shape of Despair - Shadowed dreams/Down into The Stream

There are two songs that I could only play at my funeral, both classics and no others compare

Dr. FeelGood - Motely Crew
and
Bad Case of Lovin You - Robert Palmer

Ohh yeah, thats one funeral I want to go to! ;)

That's strange, I though about that lately. A girl told me she would want Therion - Siren of the woods.

I would like (a funeral is long, it can be more than one song...):

Therion - Preludium (yeah I know, it's a begenning song but that's what I like)

Therion - Grand Finale (when people would get out of the place)

In Flames - Whoracle (I just love the spirit, the mood of that song, it's like a spiritual song for me, makes me wonder about life/death)

Dark Tranquillity - I can't decide, The Mind's Eye, A bolt of blazing gold, Through Ebony Archways.

np: Silence around me

hmm, already written by some others but probably;

Orion, My friend of misery(just first 1 minute of the song), whoracle maybe, transacoustic(anathema), quite world also, but Therein or Lethe for dt

at first opeth - to bid you farewell, when the people come in.
after that one tori amos - winter.
as a prelude to the postludium requiem by lacrimosa.
and, of course, in the end: Tom Waits - Time.

with this funky combination i'm quite sure to have most of the people crying even if they don't know me...:lol:

oh, by the way, it's really interesting how much songs (or music in general) change when you hear them at a funeral.
anyone in here ever heard chopin's trauermarsch (funeral march) AT A FUNERAL? that's the point when music really becomes INTENSE. I never, ever heard anything that made me come even close to the pure mourning i felt then...
i daresay i'm happy it is that way but still it's unbelievable. i (as most of us in here) knew that one for years, i played it, i just KNEW it goddamit and suddenly, in that situation, it was the i cannot find words for that. it was BIGGER, deeper and

well, err, nevermind, have a try (or better don't) and don't forget singing the funny ones as swell

mehothra (in a pondering mood)

two of the first ones that come to my mind are already said.
one is The Flame Of The End from At The Gates and To Bid You Farewell from Opeth...so if it has to do with metal...ehmmm depens a lot on the mood I am....so I'll give three choices...lemme see....
The Bard's Song which is not really a funeral song but taking death as a not_so_bad thing to happen it would fit...
if death is the that terrible thing that embraces us all I would pick Day To End sure....
and for the rest of the feelings I would choose O Fortuna from Carmina Burana (carl orff)
even I think I'm starting to rant again...uhhmmmm

interesting how many of you are thinking about that... i thought i was the only weirdo... get lost :D

Sentenced - Keep my Grave Open
Sentenced - Grave Sweet Grave
Death - Zombie Ritual

Seriously though:

Hypocrisy - Resurrected
Hypocrisy - Deathrow
At the Gates - Flames of the End
At the Gates - The other calm song off of SotS whose name I can't remember right now (for god's sake!)
Edge of Sanity - Last Song
Testament - Return to Serenity
Testament - Trail of Tears
Death - Voice of the Soul
Vintersorg - Enigmatic Spirit
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day (anything from that album)
Burzum - Det som en gang var

Can't remember anything else right now.

Well... many of my picks are said before... but are the ones that I like.. so...

Opeth - To Bid you farewell
Theatre Of Tragedy - ... A distance There is...
Katatonia - Rainroom
Tiamat - Do You Dream Of Me?
Katatonia - Gone
Within Temptation - Our Farewell
Opeth - Credence
Dark Tranquillity - Mine Is The Grandeur Of Melancholy Burning (both)
Egde Of Sanity - Last Song.

yes.. that´s all, maybe I forgot some one... but... at last... Is my funeral...

Hmm...

There are quite a few that are contenders, but the only one that I think really fits for me is "Sear Me III" by My Dying Bride. The annoying thing is that I heard another song that would work well a month or two ago, but have totally forgotten which one it was, and who it was by. Maybe it was by Opeth. Probably. :)