Music for the nonbelievers

So by no means are you a weak athiest Jaime. You are very confident in your beliefs which is cool.... But you are also open-minded but not gullible. That's a good quality to have :).....

Thanks! :D The discussion has also gone really well - as long as no one freaks out at being challenged, it's all good. It actually feels like a *discussion* and not like me sharpening my claws on somebody. I think a factor here is that I'm *used* to being challenged - when you're an atheist and you openly admit to it, people *will* get in your face about it. I don't think Christians of any sect are used to having to defend themselves on a regular basis the way we are, so they aren't as prepared when someone comes out of left field with questions they don't like.

It's also worth noting that to me, there's a big difference between believing in some higher power and organized religion. I understand the former, even if I don't cop to it. The latter frequently sends me into a frothing rage, because organized religion is by and large a tool of control. You can have fellowship and community service without a head honcho claiming he has the divine authority to tell you what you can and cannot do with your life. It is a tool of separation and division, not unity. The world would be a better place without any of it, imo.

The breaking point with Christian bands I'll listen to and those I won't - it's really a matter of how obvious it is. Shadow Gallery tells stories. I like stories, even when they're Biblical in origin. (I like some of the Bible stories too! I just don't take them seriously.) "Destination Unknown" is probably one of the most beautiful songs of praise I've ever heard, and I'm okay with it because they don't clobber me over the head with the content. On the other hand, "First Light" is great until the end, when they have to be all obvious about it. There's no clear line here - if it's definably Christian, I probably won't listen to it, but I can be won over.

Jaime, I know what you mean regarding "organized religion"...I have some very good Christian friends that I get along great with and they have never ever pushed they beliefs onto me. My parents on the other hand are newly born fundamentalist Christians, and because my sister and I aren't, it has completely destroyed the bond of our family. My sister and I are okay with their beliefs, but they aren't okay that we DON'T BELIEVE the way they do, and they just pretty much avoid us now. Before they became fundamentalists, we had a wonderful bond......It's really sad, but it's also a powerful example of what organized religion can do do a family. It breaks my heart to even think about it.....

Regarding music. I really enjoy Theocracy. I never ever felt as if Matt was trying to shove his beliefs down my throat, and I totally respect that in the band.....

Do not, and I repeat DO NOT, buy any Mortification after the thrid album because it really, really, really, really gnaws balls. Trust me on this.
:guh::guh::guh::guh::guh::guh:
I was all set to stay silent and read and not let anything get to me, but I can't let this heinously incorrect statement go by unchallenged. ;-) Mortification were great at least through 1999's "Hammer of God." Look,
those are some solid albums right there. "Blood World" was my first Mortification disc, and first "Christian" disc (along with a few others) that I ever bought. I gotta say, whether they music is considered awesome or not, it changed my life.

Now that I've corrected the erroneous claims and blasphemous statements, I'll go back to pretending I'm not here. :D

i-can-haz-baseball.png

This thread just became worth wading through. Thanks for that. :)

Alright. Cool. This is why I'm a recovering catholic.

Same here! Actually I'd consider myself an agnostic, or a Deist.

The Old Testament is the most violent with eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth mentality. The New Testament is different. It teaches forgiveness and turn the other cheek. For those who don't believe me, read it yourself. You'll see. Both books are radically different.

So, you're saying that we should toss the Old Testament and just use the New Testament? I'm confused; I thought it was all the Bible?

I'm still holding out for the Book of Enoch to be added back in to canon. :heh:

I'll crib from my own site here:

Pellaz's website said:
I'm agnostic, and a "recovering Catholic." I have friends ranging from Wiccans and pagans to Protestants and Catholics (most of my family); I even know a couple of people who are practicing Satanists. I "fell out" with the Catholic church after I realized one day when I was about 12 or 13 years old that, hey presto, the world and all I saw had a scientific basis in truth and reality. We call this type of thinking Occam's Razor.

I might be a Deist (like, e.g., Ben Franklin before me) because I don't rule out the possibility that a Guiding Force set the universe in motion 15 or 20 billion years ago -- this is popularly called "The Great Watchmaker Theory," wherein Someone got things ticking and has since left for sunnier realms....

I refuse to "diss" anyone on the basis of their religion. All seem equally valid, and although religions have caused a heck of a lot of death and destruction on this world, they can also be great forces for positive change. (At more cynical moments I'll observe that at the very least, they can keep otherwise idle minds occupied. :)) I'll just observe that overall, in my personal experience, the most well-adapted and least "hung-up" people I know tend to be from those religions that are more permissive -- pagans, Wiccans, etc. -- while the stricter folks seem a bit more "hung-up." Food for thought.

Believe what you want. In the end, the same Sun warms us all, and the same stars beckon to us from high above.

:guh::guh::guh::guh::guh::guh:
I was all set to stay silent and read and not let anything get to me, but I can't let this heinously incorrect statement go by unchallenged. ;-) Mortification were great at least through 1999's "Hammer of God." Look,
those are some solid albums right there. "Blood World" was my first Mortification disc, and first "Christian" disc (along with a few others) that I ever bought. I gotta say, whether they music is considered awesome or not, it changed my life.

Now that I've corrected the erroneous claims and blasphemous statements, I'll go back to pretending I'm not here. :D

Right...Post Momentary Affliction was badass (that was the third studio album) but after that the band quit putting out the same quality of music that they had done before. This could be due to the leaving of Jason Sherlock...who was badass on drums...or perhaps it was when Steve Rowe decided not to growl all the time anymore.

My point is that I have all of those albums, and if someone wanted to buy a Mortification disc that had not heard them...they NEED to buy one of the first three when the band STILL kicked ass. Otherwise they would be pissed and not listen to them again.

I'm glad the changed your life...but that still does not make the music on the albums after Post any good. (Except for the song 40:31 on Primitive Rythem Machine...that reminded me of the old day and was really good).

I don't think people were asking about music to check out that was just Christian...they also wanted it to kick ass because that is the most important thing about music...it has to be good if anyone is to listen to it. And while the later albums were O.K...the first three were REALLY Awesome.

Sorry...I had to correct your heinously incorrect correction of my equally heinously incorrect statement. I guess that is why the call it opinions...haha. Peace.:tickled:

God is an illusion and there ain't no paradise and there is no underworld below
Out there is no Heaven and there ain't no Antichrist
Welcome to the real World and the show!

Gamma Ray : Real World