musical recommendations

Skaldir

formerly known as Unicorn
Nov 3, 2001
Germany
www.kalthallen.de
I decided to open this thread to let people share their musical discoveries that could fit in the Swanö cosmos. :)

I'd like to recommend the newest ASIA record "Omega".
A few years ago I discovered Asia thorugh Dag's and Dan's recommendation. I also agreed the first two albums were the best.
Recently I had to review their new album and its really great!
The original line-up is back together and made a really strong art-rock album with nice refrains.
Check out
"Ever Yours" and
"Listen Children"

Last edited by a moderator:
Good call, Asia is great, but on terms of the bands later era I think my favourite would be Silent Nation.

My tip is swedish Moon Safari; strong symphonic rock with a lot of Beatles and Beach Boys inspiration.

Sebastian Hardie - Four Moments | 1975

I'll start there...I don't want to get too carried away with recommendations :p

I'll also second the Moon Safari recommendation...although I prefer their debut album A Doorway to Summer | 2005

Asia rules. Not a weak moment on any of their first 2 albums! U.K. "Danger Money" rules too. For more "modern" prog-classic check out the early albums from Arena. Amazing stuff!

...and by the way. it is against the law to not worship "The Thirst" from the first enchant album. Sometimes I wonder if they had heard Unicorn :) The chorus melody is a knock-off from our "Dhounth Sayh" part from "The azimuths of a brash" (written in 1990)

Bought the "Blomljud" CD by Moon Safari now. thanks again for the tip, I'm loving it!

Good call! The new piece "Lover's End" can be preordered from recordheaven.net. Not sure if the ship to countries beyond scandinavia, though...

samples:

I'm a proud owner of Doorway to summer and Lover's End now :)
"Heartland" from Lover's End is so so good! Really like that odd rhythm and the chorus is amazing.
All together I think Blomljud is still the best record of them.

Recently discovered Martin Orford's album "The old road"
Pretty good album, that also features the ASIA singer on a few songs.

new Magic Pie is out - The Suffering Joy. It's a very pleasing new album, their third, featuring their new vocalist Eirikur Hauksson. I still miss Allan Olsen. For me he was their best singer. I highly recommend their previous albums as well, especially Motions of Desire. I know for those residing in the USA, Laser's Edge is now stocking the album in their shop. The album came out on Progress Records.

I haven't had much time to check out new music in the past 2 years. Maybe some people here don't know Vulture Industries yet? Didn't like their second album much though.

For the past year I've been having a huge Motown / Funk Brothers addiction! Funny stuff! Note they have 2 drummers (sometimes even 3 on records!) They were pulled out from obscurity finally a decade ago by a docu, funny... finally getting the recognition they deserved, some of them dead and some more of them dying:

I love the sound of the drums in the part from 3:40 to the end.

Good call, Asia is great, but on terms of the bands later era I think my favourite would be Silent Nation.
Definitely Silent Nation!!! And the early stuff.
Dan Swanö;9342134 said:
Asia rules. Not a weak moment on any of their first 2 albums! U.K. "Danger Money" rules too. For more "modern" prog-classic check out the early albums from Arena. Amazing stuff!

Thanks for tipping me off to UK Dan. I first heard them when you hosted WBWC a few years ago. Great band

Anekdoten - Ricochet is an amazing song, they have more good stuff, I only own the Gravity album so I can't say that there isn't more gems in their disco.