Musical tastes

breathingmetal

April Ethereal
Dec 20, 2004
New Zealand
Hello people.

I've been listening to opeth since the release of blackwater park but primarily older artist's material by the likes of maiden and priest. I was 12 back when I discovered metal and to this day (now 19), I've been listening to more and more sub-genres.
However I've grown somewhat tired of all the speed and aggression of many artists, especially that of death metal. It's all scientifically proven that fast tempos destroy any chance of concentration during study or relaxation (increased heart rate etc).
Who else feels this way or has any advice on some cool classical music (Vivaldi or Mozart) or any other types of slower tempos in music?

Thanks in advance and please only post if you have something constructive to say

For studying and things like that I'd recommend:
Eluvium (album: Copia) beautiful relaxing ambient, post-rock music.
Andy Mckee, amazing fingerstyle guitarist, his music really helps you relax.
And classical music that I like to play when studying or just before I fall asleep is Chopin's Nocturnes :Smug:. Hope you'll listen to some of this ^^

i listen to classical alot, i think the baroque era artists are the best, i like the flourishes and 'decorative' stuff they do........that sounds really poncy but its true!!

I would say go for the obvious, vivaldis four seasons - the presto section of summer is awesome and the whole of winter is superb! my two favourite pieces of classical music. Other than that id say check out wikipedia for baroque era composers as i dont claim to be an expert on classical music at all!! but you cant go wrong with mozart, handel etc. Also a bit of J.S Bach never goes astray!! im sure there are some lesser known ones that are also awesome but you'll have to find those names for yourself!

hope that helps

I also just recently found out about Eluvium. It's really great for relaxing and I don't mean in a boring way. Beautiful and soothing. My favourite album from them (or him) is "An Accidental Memory In The Case Of Death" :)

^yeah I heard about them a little after Lambent came out, but I didn't get round to checking Eluvium out until Talk came out. I love all of them, I've been spinning Accidental heaps as well.

Well, in terms of extreme metal, I only listen to Opeth and bands like Meshuggah. The latter inspire my unusual time signatures and I mostly listen to tehm for the technical expertise rather than any artistic feeling. My second favourite band is Pink Floyd. I just love their overall atmosphre, honest emotion, and Gilmour's soloing. I also love Porcupine Tree for pretty much the same reason, and the occasional heavy riff reminiscent of metal bands. I like Dream Theater, as pretty much any prog fan should, though their later releases are somewhat shite. As for older prog rock bands, besides Pink Floyd I am a half-fan of Camel, King Crimson, and Yes. I was rather delighted when I heard that Akerfeldt loves Camel, and that somewhat pushed me to listen to more of their material. I also think In the Court of the Crimson King is one of the best prog albums ever. Fans of Opeth will probably love it. Unfortunately, I could never get into Rush, mainly because of the vocals. More recently I started to listen to some flamenco and jazz and found artists like Di Meola and Jesse Cook were very much to my liking.

I used to be a big fan of My Dying Bride, but they give me a headache if I listen to them for too long nowadays. Was also a fan of Adagio's first album. There are obviously many other bands which I like, and am constantly looking for new prog material and so on. I also tend to like classical music, though I am not really much of an expert and can only listen to it in small amounts at a time.

Opeth, Blind Guardian and Ensiferum are my three most favorite bands, but I listen to Iced Earth, empyrium, My dying bride and Nightwish too...
I think I can say that I love epic metal or song about sadness and of melancholy theese things but I'm a fan of Death Metal Screams.

I go with (alfphabetical order of my current playlist):

Ambeon
Anathema (newer)
Ayreon
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Blackfield
Bloodbath
Camel
Edge Of Sanity
In Flames (older)
IQ
Isis
Jan Johansson
Katatonia
Marillion
Mastodon
Mostly Autumn
Museo Rosenbach
Necrophagist
Nightingale
Novembre
OPETH
Pain Of Salvation
Pink Floyd
Premiata Forneria Marconi
Porcupine Tree
Sigur Ros
Tool

It's all scientifically proven that fast tempos destroy any chance of concentration during study or relaxation (increased heart rate etc).

It is? Why is it that fast tempos increase heart rates? Also, what does that have to do with concentration?

I'm just asking because when I studied I listened to all kinds of music, never taking that into account.

With all this talk of post-rock I'm surprised no one's mentioned Mogwai:zombie: I'd also recommend If These Trees Could Talk- easily one of my favourite post-rock bands.

My music listening recently revolves around Katatonia, Arcturus, Ulver, and Opeth. I recommended "Themes From William Blake's....." to some students since it can be argued to be educational I guess. Why read it when you can have Garm, Ihsahn and others sing it?

Wish You Were Here has been in my on going catalog the past 10 years. Some preferences come and go; Floyd stays for life.

I go with (alfphabetical order of my current playlist):

Ambeon
Anathema (newer)
Ayreon
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Blackfield
Bloodbath
Camel
Edge Of Sanity
In Flames (older)
IQ
Isis
Jan Johansson
Katatonia
Marillion
Mastodon
Mostly Autumn
Museo Rosenbach
Necrophagist
Nightingale
Novembre
OPETH
Pain Of Salvation
Pink Floyd
Premiata Forneria Marconi
Porcupine Tree
Sigur Ros
Tool

Hell yeah. :heh: We've got a similar taste in music.

Anathema
Anekdoten
Between the Buried and Me
Blackfield
Bloodbath
Ihsahn
John Mayer
Katatonia
The Mars Volta
Opeth
Pain Of Salvation
Porcupine Tree