Muting/silencing drums & cymbals for music video shoot

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
Hey guys

I'm going to be shooting a music video this coming month and I'm planning on renting out studio for a performance shoot of the band (video production studio). Now, I haven't ran into this problem yet but I'm pretty sure its going to happen, I don't think I'm gonna be allowed to make too much noise with the drums during the shoot so my question is this.

I still want the drummer to play his kit for the shoot (cause it actually looks really nice =]), is there any way I can mute the cymbals but still have them move when he plays them and stuff?

For the rest of the drums I just plan on stuffing pillows in the toms/kick/snare to mute them as much as possible but if you have a better idea that would be nice

This counts as a "Production Tip"..right?..lol

Thanks

what we did: shoot the main parts of the video without the drummer hitting anything, and do some extra close up shots with the drummer actually hitting the kit. edit the video, done.

what we did: shoot the main parts of the video without the drummer hitting anything, and do some extra close up shots with the drummer actually hitting the kit. edit the video, done.

yes, you can additionally use some mute pads (for shells and cymbals too), so the drummer can play as normal, when not being on closeup.

alot of the bigger bands,or drummers that have the cash to have 2 sets of cymbals will double stack the cymbals. it totally mutes it out, ..... haha I couldn't afford to do it when we shot ours so we had to just crank the playback loud through a pa and I just played with it. also if you use a version of the song with a click in it. it will make things alot easier durring the shoot as far as timing ;-)

there's a good chance you will see the mute pads in the video, I would personally avoid using them.

Can't you just film the session, then use the audio from say, their album, to lay on top of the video? I don't quite grasp the concept here.....

EDIT: Ok, so apparently he just simply can not make a lot of loud noise? My bad..... -.- I just figured it'd be play + shoot then edit and place video to actual song.

Try Using clear sign vinyl or over laminate for the cymbals. check out any sign shop I'm sure they will hook you up pretty cheap. Or look for a sign shop supplier on google. I have never done this but I am pretty sure it would work. Hope this helps

I know cymbal companies do have specific cymbals for this that are just dead and shite sounding, like mesh heads but the entire cymbal is made of some dull material and then coated to look like the real thing. If he's endorsed, it shouldn't be hard to get a loaner pair. If not... not sure. :(

I've see behind-the-scenes of, and been to, some video shoots, and it seems like most of the time they don't worry too much about the kit.

At least that's been my experience.

I would just mute the drums w/ a set of practice pads and probably duct tape the underside of the cymbals to take some/most of the ring out.. blast the play back of the track (with a click as mentioned earlier (preferably with a lone click in the beginning so as to make aligning the audio and video that much easier)).. then just toss the drum mutes for the close ups..

If the drummer doesn't slam the shit out of their cymbals, you should be good to go.. You could also use the cymbal mutes from the practice pad set for the far shots, just check you line of sight and make sure they're hidden..

EDIT: And make sure the vocalist actually sings/screams/whatever the parts during playback and doesn't just mouth the words.. haha..

-P

I dont really give any fucks if you like the band/music/video

drummer actually plays his kit, screamer/singer actually sings and everyone plays along to the pre recorded music.
either get a really good PA or run the music through a bass amp/cab

and if you cant be loud at the studio you want to use to shoot it, find a different one

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea it just seems strange that you cant be loud at a studio.

Anyways, the cymbals are tough. As far as drums, you can reduce the noise trmendously if you just leave the bottom head super super loose. Tighten the lugs enough to keep the head on the drum but leave the head really loose and wrinkled. This will result in a thud with a very fast decay when the drum is hit.

is not a recording studio..is a movie studio with other shoots going on in the other rooms...so blasting music disturbs the rest of the building and the reason im using is is because of the grid on the ceiling and their lights