My Arms, Your Hearse... I'm starting to really dig it.

wut wut

ROADS ICY ROADS
Apr 22, 2008
I've never been able to get into Opeth's first 3 albums. There have been times where I thought Morningrise, for example, was interesting (like, the first week I had it), but they could never hold my attention for very long.

Well, Orchid and Morningrise I still don't like, but for the last couple days I've really been getting into MAYH. I guess it was too aggressive for me before... that big wall of mud that is the opening riff of April Ethereal, which made me understand what my friends meant when they said metal was just irritating noise, is actually sounding good to me now. I always thought The Amen Corner didn't flow well, but I find myself enjoying that song as well. The production suits the album, but that used to be one of the big reasons I didn't like it.

Anyway, I guess I'm a MAYH fan now. :Smokin:

That's how I am too. I've gotten into everything else by Opeth, but the first 3. But most albums tend to grow on me more if I listen to them again in a few months so I'm expecting that to happen with MAYH as well.

On a crappy stereo (and even on most decent stereos) MAYH loses all effects for me because that wall of mud you're talking about is very difficult to decipher. But with a good pair of headphones it's my favorite Opeth album, because there is A LOT going on, and with every listen I pick up something new.

^whot? you discovered When?? you never heard it before or what?? oO

Well during a big amount of time, I knew April Ethereal, Demon of the Fall, Karma, Epilogue. I knew I didn't like the rest, but never really paid attention to When. And everyone here, during a poll, voted When as the best MAYH song so I gave it a try. Really good finally. But this is not recent. It's been a bit less then a year. I love it now.

^ There's for sure a lot to discover in Still Life (like MAYH) and the lyrics are quite good. I like the storyline and the concept even if it sounds at first cheesy and simple. There's a strong emotion in songs like White Cluster and in the ending lyrics of MAYH.

Well during a big amount of time, I knew April Ethereal, Demon of the Fall, Karma, Epilogue. I knew I didn't like the rest, but never really paid attention to When. And everyone here, during a poll, voted When as the best MAYH song so I gave it a try. Really good finally. But this is not recent. It's been a bit less then a year. I love it now.

ah okay I see.
Discovering songs of your favorite band may be a matter of time. I never liked MAYH and said it's the worst Opeth album ever, and after three years of listening to Opeth I found out that it's a kick ass album.

Welcome aboard. MAYH is hard for me to stop listening to. My favorite moment is the beginning of Karma where the "wall of mud" slips into a nice comfortable vocal harmony where it just seems to put your unease at rest.

This album never really clicked for me. Don't get me wrong - none of the tracks are bad or anything, but the overall sound of the album turns me off. It's one big wall of sound, and the dynamics of Opeth's other works are far and few between here. It isn't just the production, either - the style of the album is what brings it down for me. I think. I'm not really sure how to explain it.

Recently bought MAYH to replace my original never returned by a friend who "borrowed" it once upon a time. It was never at the top of my O' list, but after listening to the entire album again (especially on headphones), it's definitely amongst my favourites.

And, oh, hello...new here.