My band's mix with Krankenstein

Kick ass mix and sick song
Thanks so much man. My broken ego needed that. After spending hours upon hours upon hours reamping with the Krank and just not getting the tone I wanted, I felt like I had just settled. Same for the mix in general.

Thanks Dan!

When you say "dry" do you mean in the most commonly used sense, "needs more reverb." That would make sense because for most of my ambiance I ended up using nothing but delays and there is VERY little reverb processing going on in this mix.

Thanks Dan!

When you say "dry" do you mean in the most commonly used sense, "needs more reverb." That would make sense because for most of my ambiance I ended up using nothing but delays and there is VERY little reverb processing going on in this mix.

yeah I think some reverb on vocals and drums could help, but not just that, I feel it just needs some overall glue, like guitars sound too separated from drums, which is probably cause the bass guitar isn´t filling the gap between drums and guitars completely. I personally would add a bit more low end to the mix, but of course in that genre what you have is normally the amount of low end you need

this song is FUCKING AMAZINGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! the little wurlitzer or whatever part fucking blew my away.

fuck the mix, the song is fucking incredible.

my advice to you guys: hire yourself a good producer/engineer/mixer and worry ONLY about your music....

i see SO much potential.

i'd LOVE to work with you guys.... omg. incredible things would result.

wow, good tune.

mix is ok, but i agree it would really benefit from a better production, especially a nicely tuned miced und played real drumset!

wow that sounds realy insane !
any chance you can share details / preset /midi about the drums?

what youve done with the oh / midi its sound realy awesome :)
and how you mixed the snare sound realy good - are it sd2 or something else?

wow, good tune.

mix is ok, but i agree it would really benefit from a better production, especially a nicely tuned miced und played real drumset!
Thanks bro. Just to clarify though, I originally played and recorded the drums you hear on this tune, but because my basement is rather unexciting sounding I used Logic's drum replacer program to get midi data for the drums to use with Superior Drummer and I just muted all my close mics, leaving nothing but the Overheads with a highpass of 600hz on the recording.

So the drums are played by a real drummer... Just a real drummer who does not know how to record real crushing drum sounds.

wow that sounds realy insane !
any chance you can share details / preset /midi about the drums?

what youve done with the oh / midi its sound realy awesome :)
and how you mixed the snare sound realy good - are it sd2 or something else?
For the snare I really had no idea what I was doing. I used a TINY amount of compression on the Black Beauty snare inside Superior Drummer. (I don't know why). I then cut 350hz by about 2.5db and boosted 2.35khz by 3db. From there I did the rest of the processing in logic, boosting 200hz and boosting with a high shelf. Some more compression, (I'm surprised by how little I used looking back: a ratio of 3:1 only knocking off about 4db) and that was it for the top mic.

I've heard people say that they don't even bother with the other snare mic in Superior, but I found I needed it for body so its mixed in there with it about 7db quieter. Same with the bottom mic, although that's more like 12db quieter than the top.

Also I've heard people say they use velocities 120-127 for the snare, but whenever I use those it sounds like its clipping or something, so they are unusable for me. (I'm hoping someone can help me out here.) So I keep the velocities around the 108-115 range.

As for the toms, got to give Ermz all the credit there. I can't find it right now but he posted some presets of how he generally works in Superior Drummer and I basically just copied his tom preset.

The kick in SD2 is no good, so I am actually using a sample from the Alesis Dm5 unit. I can't remember which one though.

This is all running into a drum bus with the FET compressor circuit in logic with a 4:1 ratio, 35ms attack, and 8ms release. But yeah as I hope I made clear, I don't really know what I am doing so take all of this with a couple hand fulls of salt.

this song is FUCKING AMAZINGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! the little wurlitzer or whatever part fucking blew my away.

fuck the mix, the song is fucking incredible.

my advice to you guys: hire yourself a good producer/engineer/mixer and worry ONLY about your music....

i see SO much potential.

i'd LOVE to work with you guys.... omg. incredible things would result.
Wow, that means a lot man! We have been dying to get into a real studio! :) By the way I love the work you do in your studio; your tracks sound killer!