My butt has been kicked by the following bands...

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
Lately, I've really been trying to branch out and explore new music, to me that is. With that said, I'm getting my butt kicked by the following three bands:

1. Nevermore...Yes, I know, I'm a late bloomer when it comes to these guys. Eventhough Warrel's lyrics are very cynical, the music outweighs that for me. I honestly think Jeff Loomis is one of the best metal guitarist I've ever heard! I love the guy's style. So far, I've purchased the band's self titled album, Dead Heart In A Dead World, and The Politics of Ecstacy. Serious riffage with this band! :headbang:

2. Morgana Lefay...There are some hardcore Lefay fans around here that pull for these guys to be on the PP roster every year. With that said, the band sparked an interest with me at some point during 2008. If I had ever known that the lead singer sounded like Jon Oliva's evil offspring, I would've checked them out several years back! :lol: So far, I've purchased Sanctified, Malfacium and Grand Materna. I join those in saying, please bring Morgana Lefay to Hotlanta! :kickass:

3. Angel Dust...Several people mentioned this band on the "We Need More Music Like Savatage" thread recently. More specifically, those people mentioned the band's release entitled, Bleed. The title track is worth the price of admission alone! All the other stuff is icing on the cake for me. Much like the previous two bands mentioned, there's some serious riffage here! Bleed is the only release that I have from these guys, so I'm clueless when it comes to the rest of their stuff. Any suggestions?

~Brian~

All bands are good, I love Nevermore, Angel Dust is awesome too. Bleed is probably their best album but you might try Border of Reality next.

3. Angel Dust...Several people mentioned this band on the "We Need More Music Like Savatage" thread recently. More specifically, those people mentioned the band's release entitled, Bleed. The title track is worth the price of admission alone! All the other stuff is icing on the cake for me. Much like the previous two bands mentioned, there's some serious riffage here! Bleed is the only release that I have from these guys, so I'm clueless when it comes to the rest of their stuff. Any suggestions?

~Brian~

Enlighten the Darkness is easily my fav with Bleed a close second.

Lately, I've really been trying to branch out and explore new music, to me that is. With that said, I'm getting my butt kicked by the following three bands:

~Brian~

Their best is definitely "Enlighten the Darkness". This disc is heavy, melodic and a bit darker than Bleed but certainly more even. While Bleed has the best song being the title track, EtD has everything else over it.

Border of Reality is good but doesn't compare to those two imn my opinion. Sorry TychoCelchu... ;-)

Steve

All bands are good, I love Nevermore, Angel Dust is awesome too. Bleed is probably their best album but you might try Border of Reality next.

Thanks, we'll do.

Enlighten the Darkness is easily my fav with Bleed a close second.

Thanks

Their best is definitely "Enlighten the Darkness". This disc is heavy, melodic and a bit darker than Bleed but certainly more even. While Bleed has the best song being the title track, EtD has everything else over it.

Border of Reality is good but doesn't compare to those two imn my opinion. Sorry TychoCelchu... ;-)

Steve

It's funny how everyone differs about these things! :)

I dig all three of those bands! I even love Warrel's lyrics too... They help lay another ominous layer on their music...

Don't get me wrong about Warrel's lyrics. He's very talented no doubt, but I do wish that he'd get a little "hope" every now and again. :erk:

~Brian~

Wow...cool thread from a guy that (I have felt...over the years) shares similar tastes...

MORGANA LEFAY -- You are on the right path...keep digging...and don't forget about their (legally obligated) Lefay releases...

NEVERMORE -- If you're digging what you've heard so far...than Dreaming Neon Black is a must!

ANGEL DUST -- Enlighten The Darkness is a true Teutonic masterpiece from start-to-finish. Think about what Accept accomplished in the 80s, then squeeze it's nuts just enough to piss it off...there's Angel Dust on Enlighten The Darkness...it's all there: unrequited love, street-fights, pain, yearning, frustration...aaahhhh! Sing it with me, brother!......: CROSS OF HATRED!.....CROSS OF HAAAAATRREEEEEEDDDDDD!

Rock on!

NEW STUFF is what has my attention these days-
Looking forward to hearing more from Eumeria. It's a great team of really talented guys and what they have out on their page so far has grabbed me good.

I wanna see Coldera pull off some more tunes too. I like what I've heard so far and in this girl's opinion and is pretty well known to my listeners; Superstition is one of the best cover tunes EVER. I do not get tired of it. My first show I had like 6 other HardRockRadioLive DJs in the room- Five of them asked for it on the spot.

The new Futures End CD is gonna be sick. I've heard quite a few of the tunes, although it's not finished, and I know they are still adding to it- so what is to come is surely gonna be tight. I do play a few of the new tunes on my show and the music is first-rate.

Lately, I've really been trying to branch out and explore new music, to me that is.
Good job Brian.

All three bands are amazing indeed. I would be surprised if you didn't like them. Nevermore is killer and Warrel Dane is without doubt among the most unique and powerful vocalists ever. His solo album is also worth checking out; just don't expect another Nevermore. If you liked the debut and Dead Heart in a Dead World, I think you're in for a real treat. To me, these two albums are the band's "least good" ones (along with Enemies). Dead Heart was sort of a breakthrough for them, so many people discovered Nevermore through this one and consider it among their best. I beg to differ. I think Nevermore's finest album is still Dreaming Neon Black, which is their darkest and most emotional. Less shredding perhaps, but the songwriting is top-notch. Also, This Godless Endeavor is absolutely essential. It is so heavy it's not even funny anymore. It crushes just about any other album in terms of brutality, but melody and content is not sacrificed. I think after listening to this one, you will be convinced that Loomis is a living legend. He shreds like no one else out there. Also, The Politics of Ecstasy is a great record. Very thrashy too.

Morgana Lefay also slays. I actually usually listen to Nevermore and Morgana Lefay and even Savatage back to back. I think you should get The Seventh Seal right away. It's their doomiest album. Kind of like Dio's Strange Highways. Also, S.O.S. should be next on your list. I don't think Rytkonen sounds as much like Oliva on these albums though. For that, nothing beats Maleficium.

By buying Angel Dust's Bleed you've gotten their best. The title track, from the keys to the scorching screams and melodic guitar work, is mesmerizing. I think if you like Bleed, you should get Enlighten the Darkness next, which is considered the band's zenith by most fans. Border of Reality is also good. The rest, to me, are all average, especially their last one.

Cheers!

1. Nevermore...Yes, I know, I'm a late bloomer when it comes to these guys. Eventhough Warrel's lyrics are very cynical, the music outweighs that for me.
Is it specifically "cynicism"? Metal doesn't typically have uplifting lyrics. Or is it more specifically his anti-religious tone? Just curious.

I've purchased the band's self titled album, Dead Heart In A Dead World, and The Politics of Ecstacy. Serious riffage with this band!
Not a big fan of the self-titled release. I'd actually put the two not listed here, as two of their best three; Godless Endeavor and Dreaming Neon Black.

Zod

YOu must hear Dreaming Neon Black by Nevermore. It is their best, IMO.

Wow...cool thread from a guy that (I have felt...over the years) shares similar tastes...
Rock on!

Thanks Ashaman! :kickass:

Good job Brian.
Morgana Lefay also slays. I actually usually listen to Nevermore and Morgana Lefay and even Savatage back to back. I think you should get The Seventh Seal right away. It's their doomiest album. Kind of like Dio's Strange Highways. Also, S.O.S. should be next on your list. I don't think Rytkonen sounds as much like Oliva on these albums though. For that, nothing beats Maleficium.
Cheers!

I'll check out The Seventh Seal. Dio's Strange Highways is one of his strongest....ever! I love that album and Tracey G's guitar work...it's essential!

~Brian~

Is it specifically "cynicism"? Metal doesn't typically have uplifting lyrics. Or is it more specifically his anti-religious tone? Just curious.

Not a big fan of the self-titled release. I'd actually put the two not listed here, as two of their best three; Godless Endeavor and Dreaming Neon Black.

Zod

Zod, how did I know that you'd pick up on this? :) It's not so much Warrel's anti-religious lyrics, because that's very common in metal. It more or less sounds like the guy is on the verge of a mental breakdown on some of his songs. He can't really be like that in his everyday life or he wouldn't be able to function. I do realize that metal isn't suppose to be uplifting per se, but I don't knock it when it is. With that said, Warrel is very talented without a doubt and I give credit where credit is due. :kickass:

~Brian~

iF you like Angel Dust try Mercury Tide, it is the band that picked up the peices of Angel Dust, they only put out one disc.

~Brian~[/QUOTE]

Bleed is all you really need. Their other albums are fairly average.