My butt has been kicked by the following bands...

Strange Highways is Dio's best album IMO.

I made a mistake in my tired state. I haven't heard Strange Highways other than the first track and wasn't overly impressed, but it appears to deserve a second look yes?... Angry Machines is the Dio album that I found laughable. Apologies for the mistake, I'll check out SH and see if it does anything to me this time.

Bleed is all you really need. Their other albums are fairly average.

Dude, you really need to either clean your ears or you never really listened to Enlighten the Darkness which is way better than Bleed. I'll give you the title track over all of their songs but as for the rest, EtL crushes Bleed.

Steve

It's not so much Warrel's anti-religious lyrics, because that's very common in metal. It more or less sounds like the guy is on the verge of a mental breakdown on some of his songs.
I think that's part of what makes him unique. His style, combined with Jeff's style and the frenetic pace of Van's drumming, create a sense of darkness and ominousness that few bands have ever achieved.

Zod

Nevermore Dreaming Neon Black FTW. Great album. If they'd played the title track during their headlining show here a few years ago, I'd have gone back inside to watch them.

Bleed is great, too. I'm particularly fond of the two part "Follow Me" song on there. :headbang:

Warrel's solo disc, Praises to the War Machine, is good as well. I think it gives a bit of insight on his cynicism. Of course, if you like Nevermore you might want to check out Sanctuary too! This is Warrel and Jim Sheppard's old band.