My Dying Bride

bleed for me

Sep 9, 2001
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
I have MDB's "the dreadful hours" and "turn loose the swans" and i love them both (although i like TDH better). Which album should i check out next?

and, wat is wrong with the "37.8888 complete" album, i've heard nothing but bad thigns about it.

If you like TDH, go for "The Light at the end of the world", it is the one previous to TDH, and is pretty similar. After that, "The Angel & the Dark River is probably the next one to get (no death vocals on this), then "Like Gods of the Sun" (assuming you want to keep buying their albums ;)). After that, if you want some all-death vocal stuff, give "As the flower withers" or "Trinity" a shot, or for a more 'modern' approach (again, all-clean vocals), "34.788% complete".

In regards to 34.788%, I hated it initially, but now really like it. It is a little different from their other stuff, like I mentioned before, more of a 'modern' feel to it. It kinda lacks the over-the-top dramatics of other albums, the songs are more direct and to the point. And there is a trip-hop song, which most people hate, and everyone that hates the album seems to have based their opinion solely on that song, rather than all the others (it's a rather boring song too, but there are 6 others to get into). The opening track, "The Whore, the Cook, and the Mother" is one of their best, and quite stunning.

I've got most of The Angel and the Dark River, and I have to say it's almost as good as Opeth. I might buy the album next. Two Winters Only is just SO sad, and I haven't even got the full song...

I've got all their albums, and have to advise that 'The Angel and The Dark River' and 'Like Gods of the Sun' are my favourites.

I made this joke in the Katatonia forum, so forgive me if I seem to be repeating myself.. but:

Q. What do you get when you cross 'The Light at the End of the World with the new album?

A. A couple of dreadful hours.

These two albums and 34.788%... Complete don't have any violin, which was originally their trade mark.

I only have The Angel and The Dark River. I got it a long time ago, but I love it. It's a great album. I really need to get more of their stuff. I'll probably pick up Turn Loose The Swans and As The Flower Withers next. I haven't heard any of the new one. What's it like?

It's ok. Musically, it's quite good, but it just seems to lack something. They just don't excite me in the way that they used to during the mid-nineties.

I liked it better when every album had a marked difference and they were constantly expanding. They seem to be relatively static now which is a bit of a pity, although they seem to be enjoying themselves.

I love the progression from 'As the Flower Whithers' 1992 to '34.788%...Complete' 1998. They went from primitive and ancient to technological and modern. I liken it to a journey of evolution.

The last two albums have gone back to the heavy, growling style, with no violin and basic keyboards.

All of their albums are really good (I haven't had the chance to listen to The Dreadful Hours yet). The best are probably The Angel and the dark River and Turn Loose the swans. As for 34,788%...Complete I was also reluctant at getting it at first because of all the bad comments but when I bought I found out that it is a beautiful album. And Heroin Chic (the trip-hop song mentioned above) is one of the best in the album.

Just save some money and buy everything... :D :D

Originally posted by requiem
It's ok. Musically, it's quite good, but it just seems to lack something. They just don't excite me in the way that they used to during the mid-nineties.

I liked it better when every album had a marked difference and they were constantly expanding. They seem to be relatively static now which is a bit of a pity, although they seem to be enjoying themselves.

I love the progression from 'As the Flower Whithers' 1992 to '34.788%...Complete' 1998. They went from primitive and ancient to technological and modern. I liken it to a journey of evolution.

The last two albums have gone back to the heavy, growling style, with no violin and basic keyboards.

great comments, requiem. right on spot.