My first label release is out!

I see you listed the bass and chain for tracking, but any tidbits on the processing? This kind of bass is what I'd like to do with my band's mix, and I'm having trouble finding the middle ground between a nice thick underlayment for the guitars and a prominent grind.

I can't entirely remember, to be honest. I know there was fairly heavy compression likely involving Stillwell Rocket and Waves L1. The bass guitar itself had a really flubby, undefined sound that was just full of junk, so there was an absolute ton of EQ to shape it this way. I normally just start from scratch and let my ears guide me, so every new thing ends up different, according to what its perceived needs are. In this case it was an absolute ton of dynamic range compression, to the point where it almost sounded like a synth-bass, Bergstrand style, and after that it was a matter of carving it up into useful parts of the spectrum. Mostly trying to control ridiculously flubby sub-lows and undefined low-mids, and midbass. Lots and lots of EQ.

Sorry I can't get more specific, but aside from the standard fare stuff like using SVX, and the PSA-1, along with lowpassing the low-end track and highpassing the grit track, there is nothing that would be universally applicable to all bass guitars. A lot of the processing was very specific to this particular raw tone.

Finally got around to listening to this in the car. Very nice indeed.
Interesting to note how much of a metalic quality the 5150 III has when I listen in the car, which is something that my JSX is "looked down upon" around here :p

Dan, I thought you'd be keen to know, the clean vox in Facade along with some of the growls are the exact ones taken from the EP. Just tuned up, and processed differently.

They kinda botched some of the cleans during the album takes, so fortunately we pulled em from the EP and realized the tempos were still identical.

To everyone else, this is the track in question:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah right. Shame the cleans weren't re-tracked. The auto tune is a bit much. Still gets the point and vibe across though. I probably wouldn't even complain about the tuning if it wasn't for the slight glitching in it.

Good driving album though!