My flights are booked! I'm going to Metal Camp in Slovenia!

OK I'm back!

Slovenia = fantastic!

I flew out on a Tuesday afternoon, thinking the plane would be half empty because, you know, who's flying out to Slovenia from London on a random Tuesday afternoon? Well, the plane was packed.

Seems like East Europe is on the verge of exploding in the next big "hot spot". Loads of people cramming on to planes to fly into places like Croatia, and a bunch more investing in property (for their second homes).

Anyway, we stayed in Kobarid, Slovenia which is in the heart of the Soca Valley. Stunning scenery, valleys, rivers, caves, castles, etc. It's also cool that you can drive into Trieste, Italy within 2 hours, or same distance to Austria in the opposite direction.

Metal Camp was phenomenal -- we could only manage one day, but it was awesome. Big field, lots of tents, big stage, a whole area dedicated to merchandise and food....and then down the hill to the Tomlinka River! So fucking cool. Great weather, and really hot, but the river bank is shaded with trees and they've set up bars and a metal DJ serving everyone hanging out at the river. People are swimming, or out in kayaks, and others are drinking and listening to classic metal spun by the DJ.

Occasionally you go up the hill to the stage to see the bands perform. We basically focused on Satyricon and Kreator (where Satyricon stole the show), but otherwise, most of the time was spent drinking, having fun, taking pictures with groups of Aussies, Germans, Croats, Romanians, etc.

Metal Camp is basically a metal fest for those who like to chill out. There's nothing intense to it, it really is a bunch of metal hippies congregating in the middle of some green valley in some corner of Slovenia.

Would I go again? Absolutely.

Also, one thing I've found with a festival such as this (compared to say, Heathen Crusade), is that the band selection is totally secondary. You really go to the festival to hang out with folks, get drunk, and have stupid fun. I suppose it's because there's so much to do and so many distractions.

Then went to London for my best friend's wedding and flew back in last night. Today is my wedding anniversary so we're going to the movies!

Great week. Will post pictures later.

so ... cool report. I read today that CoF cut their set short because of IMMORTAL chants???

where are the pics nignog?

pics are on some phone on some dude somewhere on his honeymoon

perhaps next week?

I'll tell you what -- you don't need really any backstage pass access at Metal Camp. The bars, DJ, fans and bands hanging out at the river are all you needed. Shaded too.

How many stages were there? IF for some reason, you chose not to camp out, do you know if there were hotels nearby?

I was considering this this past year and contemplating going in the future.

There were 2 stages: 1 for the main acts, and the other for unsigned artists.

We didn't camp - I'm not much of a tent guy. I like hot showers, flushing toilets, and continental breakfasts. We rented a car and stayed in a hotel in Kobarid (about 5 miles away) called Hotel Hvala. There are a few other small hotels in the locale.

Hotel Hvala was fantastic, I'd stay there again if I went back to Metal Camp.