my mom is dead, should i feel bad about it?

It doesn't just boil down to "should I feel sad" ..it depends..on several factors, personalities, attitudes, actions,
My real parents where drug and alcohol riddled messes that where also abusive, to the point where I was taken away from them with broken bones. I have no idea if they are still alive, and quite frankly if I heard they had died, I would only be disappointed that I hadn't had the chance to confront them about their treatment of me.

So, using my case as an example, the only real answer to the original question is, no you shouldn't necessarily feel anything specific, we are complex creatures with complex emotions and thoughts. trying to divide things into simplistic yes or no categories just doesn't cover all bases.

Personally I think however you feel, is the right feeling, you cant just change feeling because someone says "that's wrong" it doesn't work like that

The "sane" / "normal" response is often to keep dwelling and continue feeling negative emotions. Eg. anger and resentment because your shitty parent died without ever apologising or admitting their mistakes.

If you felt something like that for a moment before you snapped out of it and took a step back to see things from the funny perspective and laugh your ass off then I can relate. It's one of the ways I deal with negative emotions. Forcing yourself to think about something from the "wrong"/loony perspective. Sort of a healthy, simulated craziness.

If you didn't experience anything like that and just burst out laughing straight away then I guess you're crazy, but not necessarily in an unhealthy way. :D It's still a respectable way of handling the absurdity of life.

these 2 posts were actually helpful

i haven't lived with my mom in over a year, i haven't seen or spoken to her in over 3 months and last night i found out that she's been dead for 3 weeks
last night, as i was coming home from the huge free thanksgiving food thing in fair park (dallas texas) i see my mom's best friend's daughter (who is my age) and this woman tells me that my mother is dead, and that she's been dead for an entire 3 weeks, she tells me that her and my brother have been talking on the phone every day since (i haven't talked to my brother since his now 2 year old kid was still in the womb) and she calls him for me on her cell, (my cell was stolen last thursday morning) and he tells me that all the funeral stuff is already over and done with and that his 2 year old boy is perfectly healthy and that our sister had told him that i was in prison for 25-to-life. i feel happy that mom's dead because she's been a pain in my ass for a very long time, should i feel sad about this even though i don't? am i a monster or can anyone sympathize with me?
No you shouldn't feel anything about it because its your valid right to feel how you feel all of us are different and you don't deserve to feel bad