My reason for not wanting bloodstock to diversify styles...

and i believe that crwod reaction is the only reason ever not to diversify... coz its the crowd who pay to go to the fest, its the crowd who are tryin to be pleased, the aim of the fest is to please the majority of the crowd:) and that is a valid point if you really think about it:)

but yeah lagoon although i have disagreed with you on the most of this post (lol majorly due to my hate for pl and your love for em) i have to say well sed about the rock soc comment :):headbang: :kickass: :smokedev:

but the fact remains that it WAS a MAINLY power metal fest HENCE the crowd mostly being in to power metal ... a more diverse festival would bring equally as many people and your crowd reaction would be the same ... just more metal people ... heaven forbid you may even find that you like some different types of metal.

im not the worlds biggest power metal fan (infact i think it sucks ... quite alot actually) but i watched Nightwish & quite enjoyed them ... now i would normally NEVER have even given them a second look.

so i think your point is weak ... to say the least!

ok then, i was saying id prefer it to stay that way, not a weak point really, just give paople a festival of a genre... is nice to have one fest that has a powermetal majority then another fest with a black feel and such... ive always prefered this style as then the crowd know a general idea that the festival will have the same feel and then have a different style of festi at another festival, would be much better especially given the size of bloodstock:) as i said before in wacken you can afford 2 3rds of the crowd hatin a band coz the one 3rd is big enough to make a good crodw reaction, but not really with only 2000 people, if you want to please a crowd you aim at the majority and i think that b-s should stay predominantly power metal... and yes i happen to like almost all metal just not much new stuff... but as black, death, heavy and power metal go i love it... its like when cradle of filth played tattoo the planet, they sucked arse because they where in the mix with thrash music and to come out with techno crappy black metal, they style change put the crowd right off... and people jus left, bloodstock should aim at 1 crowd and gauin a reputation for doing so, for sticking to its guns and keepin with the power... the new fest mentioned b4 the ides of march would be a good place to put more extreme types of metal then you get 2 festivals with different feels... id just prefer if bs didnt just become and indoor wacken, its not big enough to accomodate the right fan balance, maybe in a few years with a bigger venue yeah but i like it as it is in the assembly rooms and such:)

no i really cant see your point ... i dont think that festivals should be pure anything ...

for bloodstock to become "the biggest & best" uk festival in needs to expand ... more bands, more styles, more people, bigger venue (assembly rooms is ok & i live about 5 minutes from it).

Heavy Metal Samurai said:
So if I want to hear Black Metal and Death Metal I should go somewhere else because Bloodstock is for true metal only?

True Metal = Power Metal

Well, I learn something new everyday.

here, here. Well said that man.

Hi all.
This is my foirst post here, so bare with me.

'03 was my first Bloodstock (had to work '01, 0#'02 clashed with another event), and I must say I enjoyed it.

Now, I went to see Nightwish, Dragonforce and Blaze.

However, I mostly enjoyed Nightwish, Biomechanical, Fourwaykill, Illuminatus & Cruel Humanity.

Note, that what I liked wasn't power metal as such.

Also, going by bands I wanted to see at previous Bloodstocks, I would say that it's an old school festival.

The only '03 bands I saw make concession to nu-school where Bumsnogger & Ninedine.

I gather from the posts that Eagle didn't make much time for the Darwin suite. If he had, he'd know the festival *HAD* diversified already.

--
Slev
;-}

The Darwin suite was the place to be. Pity it doesn't always get the support it deserves over there.

Hat off to Vince though for getting in some cracking bands with different styles who generally all were excellent.

Slev said:
I gather from the posts that Eagle didn't make much time for the Darwin suite. If he had, he'd know the festival *HAD* diversified already.

--
Slev
;-}

What's this 'Let's try and pick on Eagle week'

Explanation for not making time for the darwin suit.

I didn't go into the darwin as the majority of the bands I wanted to see where in the main hall (Nightwish, Saxon, Blaze, Masterplan, Edguy, Power Quest, Dragonforce, Mercury Rain & Saracen). No disrespect aimed at Bates Motel, Invey & Bumsnogger etc but at the moment I wouldn't pay £35 to go and see them.

A band that I did see in the Darwin Suite was Biomechanical who were very impressive and they seem to have improved since I saw them at their bloodstock debut last year. I’m looking very much forward to see tjhem again with Infobia and Fourwaykill. I was very gutted I missed Fourwaykill as I'd seem them on the wednesday before in Bradford and they were absolutely excellent. However I know I'm going to see them again soon so that's something for me to look forward to. The two other bands I wanted to see but I missed out on was Illuminatus and Waylander but I'm confident I'll get to see them both at some point in the future. I'd already seen Fulc a few years back and they're a good band (not really my thing). Also they do a fair few gigs up here so I can see them again.

Explanation for not thinking bloodstock has/had diversified:

Please show me where I've stated that bloodstock hasn't/has/Had/never/did diversified :err:

Also after reading your report on another thread I hope your wrist is much better now.

Cheers

Eagle

dude, I'm not picking on anyone. I just think you're wrong.

Writst???
I'm dyslexic. What on earth did I miss-spelll??

Quick Addenda: I said in my original post the word'gather' meaning that through your posting you had implyed something. Implication is something I have never been good with and I apparently will oft imply without realising it and, in similar vein, draw implication from statements made which are devoid of obfuscation.

If it is the case that I have made this mistake, I appologies. It's not the first time, and it won't be the last.

Slev said:
dude, I'm not picking on anyone. I just think you're wrong.

Writst???
I'm dyslexic. What on earth did I miss-spelll??

Quick Addenda: I said in my original post the word'gather' meaning that through your posting you had implyed something. Implication is something I have never been good with and I apparently will oft imply without realising it and, in similar vein, draw implication from statements made which are devoid of obfuscation.

If it is the case that I have made this mistake, I appologies. It's not the first time, and it won't be the last.

No Apology is needed and your totally entitled to disagree with me. I still think that all the past 3 bloodstocks have been metal fests and not power metal fests and I'll not change my mind on this - so we can agree to dissagree.

Also I was just showing concern about your wrist. I read on you report

'but I had trouble with the wrist bands being too small'.

I hope the circulation has returned.

It seems I mistook your point, which I, partialy, at least, agree with.

It's a Metal event, lets keep it that way. However, Metal covers a whole barrage of styles, sub-classifications and crossovers, and, while I'd like to see the core of the event as 'mainstream' metal (that's mainstream of metal, not 'metal' which is in the mainstream), I don't mind any further diversification.

The wrist was fine by mid afternoon on the day. I hope they make larger wrist bands next year ;)

The G man said:
makes some sence I suppose. Do you think Paradise Lost may have gone down better in the Darwin suite?, I thought they were out of there depth on the main stage.

I thought Paradise Lost were easily the best band on the main stage.
Masterplan - Love the album, total let down live. Dreadful guitar sound.
Nightwish - Excellent but I was ' euro'ed ' out by this point.
Edguy - Good stuff, a little twee at times
Saracen - Good singer, dreadful guitarist
Dragonforce - Second Division
Mercury Rain - Oh god

I think Paradise Lost were very good aswell.

I think the problem that people had was, and this has been said, that people think Bloodstock is a power Metal festival.

So people expecting power metal had been given power metal all day, and then confronted with some angry doom band, so, I would agree if next year there is, on the main stage, 7 power metal bands and then Cannibal Corpse before the headliner, then there will obviously be a problem.

so variety should be thought of throughout the day and not just "Let's throw a doom band on after 6 hours of power metal"

So I agree diversity would be bad in that situation, but the bottom line is that most people like a variety of metal, a bit of power metal, a bit of doom a bit of death metal so why not have diversity, and to be honest I was bored of power metal at Bloodstock. I love Edguy so that was a highlight, but I was pleased when Paradise Lost came and lowered the tone :)