my saturday morning thread

Please let me know what other option there is for $479 that gives me an 80Gb Mp3 player which also does video?

No matter how much you don't like apple, the unfortunate truth is Ipods are the cheapest.

The only things that really compete are the Irivers which are like, half the size and more expensive? Creatives options are pretty limited these days too.

Ipod lacks EQ it just has all presets, and unless you have great headphones the presets stink. I much prefer my creative.

Edit: Yes, I know it is a mp3 player so sound quality lacks already and most people don't get mp3 players for the sound. But I prefer having the option to change my sound to what I think is a better. That an Ipod is made by Apple, so it loses there too.

Ok so this topic is totally off course, I'll continue that.

I used to have an iRiver. It was cheaper than iPods when I bought it (2004 or 2005). It was good. MP3s/OGG/Radio/Mic etc. Heaps cheaper than the same GB sized iPods and it did a lot more. Apple realised they needed to do something to crush their cometition before they became a major threat, and they did.

I bought an iPod photo after my iRiver died, the week the 80GB iPod photos were released, for $480, band new. Being able to watch tv shows/movies/video clips etc on trains and buses and planes is a godsend. That's the primary reason I bought the iPod over an alternative, that and the fact it was cheaper to get an iPod than any other device with simlar features. I don't feel like using public transport is such a time waster anymore as I can watch video, and listen to music when I'm on my feet. On top of that, iTunes adds lyrics and art for albums and songs now, which is a nice bonus.

You can put photos on iPods too which has actually come in pretty useful for me, though I doubt that would be the case for everyone.

I hadn't even realised the iPod didn't have a custom EQ setting (very strange) but that's because I always listen on flat settings.

ok well that was nowhere near the feat i thought it would be...
i got to sydenham at like 7:35, stretched like all hell and left the station at 7:45 on the dot
got back here at 9:20
i could've gone a lot quicker, too - i took it easy in case my knee got fucked up, plus at Taren Point i had to stop and jump a fence on the highway haha.

next time i reckon i can cut a good 15-20min off that time

haha the book is still in progress but i've only written a couple of pages so far
problem is i've had to cut back on the booze a lot and probably won't be hitting it much until i go overseas at this point.

im a busy man ferret! between writing my book, album and running i seem to be out of time for b00zing

i have about 6 gazillion riffs recorded, and a few 2-3 minute passages etc that i plan on using, but i just acn't make anything mesh. also it doesn't help that i can't program drums for SHIT

Ditto to the max. I've never used Fruity Loops but it sounds like its a shitload more work for very little advantage.

Guitar Pro is obviously better for getting guitar parts down due to the native tab interface but FL Studio shits all over Guitar Pro for absolutely ANYTHING else- especially drum tracks. That's not even getting into the production side of things, I'm just talking about getting ideas down. Guitar Pro obviously doesn't even come close when it comes to making a finished product.

Well -1 for it being difficult.
I've struggled to get used to Reason, Cakewalk and Sonar amongst others but I found FL Studio to be EXTREMELY intuitive to use. If you're just dismissing it on hearing other people say it's hard I really recommend giving it a try. It's tank.

ok well that was nowhere near the feat i thought it would be...
i got to sydenham at like 7:35, stretched like all hell and left the station at 7:45 on the dot
got back here at 9:20
i could've gone a lot quicker, too - i took it easy in case my knee got fucked up, plus at Taren Point i had to stop and jump a fence on the highway haha.

next time i reckon i can cut a good 15-20min off that time

Dude, are you fucked? How do fuck did you jog all that straight? how many km is it again? FUCK man, i wish i could do what u did!

It's actually pretty easy
Keep in mind I've been running (although never that far) for at least 2 years pretty much every day. You'd think i'd be in better shape than i am, haha. If you want to be able to do it, invest in some decent running shoes and just keep pushing yourself. I started off running 2.4km before work in the mornings and sometimes I was so fucked I couldn't even finish it. But I kept trying to do that little bit further every week or 2. These days I actually feel like I haven't worked out if I do less than about 10km.

anyway it was *about* 22km all up. whereis says 20.5 or something but I had to take an alternate route at one point which threw me off a little. My right knee gave me absolute HELL last night - I had a seated ticket at the GNR concert and having it bent in that crappy little space for 4 hours or so really took it's toll. I'm feeling fine now though. Calf muscles are a little stiff which I don't understand cause i made sure to stretch them more than anything else.

oh and 2 more things:
- fruityloops is what I use. It's not that I can't get it down, it's that I can't do things like drum rolls with it. Basic beats are fine but trying to copy other bands' songs is really hard.
- GNR gig was great! Axl sounded awesome and his backing band can really shred! Gotta hand it to Sebastian Bach though, he stole the show something fierce. didn't have any pyro or the big screens Axl did, but he absolutely tore the stage apart and his voice was in fucking GREAT shape! Also lots of people in the crowd were impressed with both him and Rose Tattoo - considering most people there probably hadn't heard either band before, it's good exposure.

Yeh man im the same, been jogging for about two years, couldnt jog like 3-400m before i was out of breath, now i can do 6km and feel really down when i dont do six (say if i do 4 or 2km). But ive gone thru spells. 3 months into it, then 3 months out, then 3 months full on, then i get sick or inured and can only do a few km a week. Shits me. Good on ya tho, id be fucking so happy if i were at ur stage, ill keep trying tho!

Well -1 for it being difficult.
I've struggled to get used to Reason, Cakewalk and Sonar amongst others but I found FL Studio to be EXTREMELY intuitive to use. If you're just dismissing it on hearing other people say it's hard I really recommend giving it a try. It's tank.

Took me a few goes to try and get used to Fruity Loops, now it's not that bad, but i'm still trying to figure out Cakewalk.