My Sincere Take on Suicide Silence

CrazyInsomniac

Deathcore Lover
Dec 4, 2008
SC, USA
www.myspace.com
Personally I hope for some better new stuff from these guys on their next CD. I think they are one of the most overrated bands in their genre. They have SOOO much talent, but it seems to me that they barely use it. Most of their CD sounds the exact same to me...they never seem to change it up or do anything very impressive. I know deathcore is a simplistic genre, but that doesn't mean you can't show your talents off (Whitechapel, Born of Osiris, The Faceless). With all that said, I do think SS is a good band, but they have the potential to be one of the best out there, and they fail miserably at that in my eyes.

The last thing I will say is that : I am SOOO freaking sick of hearing people say, Hell yeah man! Suicide Silence...Pull the trigger, bitch! Yeah man, that's so brutal!"

A band must have more than one or two cool lines to gain respect, from me at least.

(I can already feel the heat from the flamers I'm sure this will get)

What do you guys think?

I think it's pretty obvious what that means...as I stated earlier, it seems like everyone who knows them is like oh yeah suicide silence pull the trigger bitch...making that pretty much the sole reason they are popular. Most SS "fans" know "No Pity for a Coward" and maybe "Unanswered" or Bludgeoned"...maybe, but thats it.

In other words, they aren't great in my opinion, they just have their moments, and few of them at that. You gotta have a good cd, not just a good part of a song every now and then.

Ehh... I must digress... I love that part of No Pity for a Coward... and as said before, from their first full length I usually remember Unanswered and Bludgeoned to Death also... I think its just that the songs start to run together... and that's the only thing that really sticks out.

"A band must have more than one or two cool lines to gain respect"

Well.. they have only released one full length so far so.. if they can muster 2-3 memorable songs per album they'll be fine. Six Feet Under has been doing it for years. (and I'm not really bashing them either... they always have a couple songs per cd I love and the rest just are just bland and boring)

I completely understand what you're saying. That's very true.

I tend to listen to bands that have a LOT of stuff that I love though.

For instance, Born of Osiris...I love every second of their debut album "The New Reign." The album has 8 songs (pretty short for a full length) and I love every single song. Also, Whitechapel...I love every song one their first CD "The Somatic Defilement." Their new CD "This is Exile" is very good too, whereas I like every song, but not as much as their first CD that was flawless :)

Anyways, intelligent post bro, so thanks for that!

I think I can also agree on Whitechapel being beyond great... In my opinion, they are probably the best deathcore band there is. (a genre I'm not that into.. but it's death metal, so I dont mind picking through the bad to see the good) The only things that particularly bug me they're released are "Fairy Fay" and "Festering Fiesta". Something about those two songs just bugs me... maybe it's just the titles being ridiculous when the songs are about mutilation? Father of Lies is my personal favorite followed closely by Prostatic Fluid Asphyxiation.

I think in general deathcore gets hated on unfairly... people want to look at the albums like they are pure death metal and rate accordingly. Yet... Melodic death metal never gets a bad rating because it isnt brutal death metal enough and technical death metal doesnt get bashed because it isnt old school death metal enough. (if that makes sense) Okay... enough before I start ranting.

lmao yeah I know what you mean about Fairy Fray and Festering Fiesta...very cheesy...unfortunately a lot of bands are doing that now days.

Even more so in the grindcore genre. For instance, Gutteral Secrete...with song titles like "Gluttonous Portions of Intestines," "Reek of Pubescent Despoilment," and "Of Vaginal Discharge."

Try hard enough to be gross?

In my opinion, they are probably the best deathcore band there is. (a genre I'm not that into.. but it's death metal, so I dont mind picking through the bad to see the good)

Not trying to sound like a know it all, but Deathcore isn't death metal, it's a sub genre of Metalcore which has some death metal influences.

Not trying to sound like a know it all, but Deathcore isn't death metal, it's a sub genre of Metalcore which has some death metal influences.

But... then what is death metal with metalcore influences? The lines blur to some degree.

Whitechapel is a great example in my opinion... of a band that's alot more death metal than metalcore.

But... then what is death metal with metalcore influences? The lines blur to some degree.

Whitechapel is a great example in my opinion... of a band that's alot more death metal than metalcore.

:erk:Oh darn, you got me but I tend to see deathcore in general as death influenced metalcore bands, since they're more common.

Deathcore is a combination of elements of death metal and metalcore (sometimes hardcore and thrash as well).

It's basically death metal slowed down with more obvious breakdowns.

and unfortunately....a LOT of people bash it :(

I listen to primarily death metal... and I tend to be able to keep a open mind... things that particiularly offend my senses however are Waking the Cadaver and Bring me the Horizon... something about the genre just doesnt mesh very well though... I think lyrical content bugs me. Death metal is violence war... and intense emotion... metalcore is just not... and whatever side you go to, you're going to offend the other.

A song about your girlfriend breaking up with you is all fine and well... but its only death metal when you decapitate her. :rofl:

hehe true about that...in death metal you would decapitate her, in grindcore you would bree in her reet-ree, but in deathcore you would rape her in every orifice of her being then amputate her salty clitoris (actual lyrics)

in grindcore you would bree in her reet-ree

When gore grind and other extreme types of grind start talking about things like that... What they are actually saying is usually best left to the unintelligible vocals. (whether it be gurgling... pitchshifted vocals... or pigsqueals... lets face it... most grind vocals are pretty much indecipherable...)

very much agreed....for instance "Annotations of An Autopsy"

the only understandable lyrics are the chants...."When I'm done with you, you won't have a cunt left." And "She bled from every fucking hole."

Annotations of an Autopsy fucking suck...
They overdo the hardcore pig squealing to a major degree until their songs get annoying... then chant something "brootal" that's just plain stupid. The shit they put out is what bastardizes deathcore... and makes it hard for a decent band to shine through the shitstorm.

But...I'm all for grind done correctly... The Berzerker, Mortician, Napalm Death, Impetigo, and a few others pull it with death metal gracefully.