My "somewhat" Chicago review

John is a much better singer.
However...they sounded very good last night.

Joey sounded better than he did back in the day.
Dan played the leads well...better than I thought he could after putting the guitar away for so long.

Lordlindsey said:
John is a much better singer.
However...they sounded very good last night.

Joey sounded better than he did back in the day.
Dan played the leads well...better than I thought he could after putting the guitar away for so long.

I don;t get this myth, John can only dream of having Joey's vocal range....I mean he is a very limited vocalist and sounds really whiny in most soings if you listen carefully...he basically only has one strong mid to low range vocals but that's it.

The only thing you can say it John fits the current musical trend better, but that doesn;t mean he is a better singer cause simply put he isn;t!

If Joey sounds better than in the day it means he must have been incredible because he was already good back then, it's OIK if you never liked Joey in the first place but also again that sais nothing about his vocal abilities, however I don;t get why you like ANTHRAX if you don;t like Joeys voice...it's basically what ANTHRAX was all about...all the ANTHRAX classics are branded with his vox.

The thing that's funny about this shit is how things get turned around. I never said I think that they're doing it all for the $$$$$$$$$$$, and in reply to Spacebeer's comment about how can you say you like Anthrax and don't like Belladonna's stuff, I never said I didn't like Belladonna's shit. Once again, I was a HUGE fan of the old stuff, all I said was to me he didn't sound half as good as he did on the Among, State, or Persistence tours. They are a better band with Bush on leads in my opinion. I'm not gonna come on here and say it rocked because that's what alot of people want to hear, to me it didn't, 'nuff said. As you all can see many people liked it, I didn't.

Thrash fiend said:
what was wrong with him ?? Its just im hearing alot of mixed things here

To me, he just didn't sound good at all. The band sounded great as usual, but the vocals were weak. He did sound great on Lone Justice, but the rest didn't sound good to me at all. I know he's older and shit, but compared to the times I've seen them with Joey back in the day, or John nowadays, he couldn't keep up. His stage presence is lame, doesn't possess half the energy John has. Just boring to watch and when he "attempted" to sing Deathrider, I couldn't take anymore. Like I said several times now, I'm not bashing just to bash, it just didn't live up to the hype that surrounds this whole reunion thing. But you make your own decisions. If you get a chance to see this lineup, check them out, you may think completely opposite.

i'd rather you were honest than sya things you think people wanna hear.........nice one for the review ................ good to get mixed reviews for sure, i'd be just as dubious if everyone came back saying it was the greatest show on earth ;)

hope i see em with my own peepers tho........

out of interest............. what numbers did frank joey and dan have?!!?!? hmmm that may have required a fair amount of observation tho :)

I won't say he sounded like shit... But I will say he sounded 'weak'. This was the dude's second show (they played detroit previous night), so you gotta expect his pipes are gonna be a little weak. It was kinda nice to see a guy interact with the crowd for once. I mean, Joey is the ultimate cheeseball frontman ('oh fuck chicago, we are sure glad to have you here tonight' x 20), but it was nice for a change; that is what a front man is supposed to do.

The band ROCKED. Danny looked like a smurf on steroids and he just stood there and rocked. Yeah, he poses, but I can deal with that because his solos where almost spot on and he kicked ass. Again, the whole band was tight. It was definately a great show.

I love Bush, and maybe even perfer Bush era material to Joey era, but.... i definately can't complain about this show.

lokey said:
out of interest............. what numbers did frank joey and dan have?!!?!? hmmm that may have required a fair amount of observation tho :)

If I remember correctly, Joey had the number 8, Danny was 3 I think, and Frankie was 12. I believe that's right, at least I know Joey's is right.

There will be a shitload of reviews, pix and opinions coming this week from others so hang in there. Joey was Joey and he rocked in Detroit. :headbang: This is an opinionated lot and "walking on eggshells" doesn't fit the attitude around here but: Why would anyone even start a thread like this on the bands website??? Everything under the sun gets talked about here and someone doesn't have a good time at the show. Big fucking deal.

Joey was awesome although he messed up during lone justice. Dan was more energetic than I remember him from the old days.

They booed when they got to the joey being fired part of the video. There were some cheers when they got to the john part but that really doesn't matter. I dig both guys but I think John is better for armored saint.

It was an amazing show!

This was my review of the whole day as I typed in a separate post:

I got into town around 2pm and headed downtown on the Orange rail from Midway.

I immediately went to the House of Blues. I happened to find Thraxx in the restaurant. Mister, I look forward to checking out that death angel dvd! :headbang:

I saw buddy, brent, Pink, lord, defragger(did I spell that correctly?), and others. I also met a cool anthrax fanatic metalhead lady that I know from myspace.

After eating some early meal, I am sorry I didn't make the board member meal but 6:30 was going to be too late and I had this insane thought that I should go up front.

I bought one of the cool new anthrax shirts with the picture from the website on front and the first few dates up thru Australia on the back. I also got one of the new flexi fitted hats. Cool design Brent!! :worship:

Ironically, I commented about the cushions around the top of the barricade which probably prevented me from being worse off than I am today. More about this in a minute, I first had to put up with a band from brooklyn that was Pantera junior without the excellent solos. Some liked them. I didn't get much out of it.

Okay, they brought down this movie screen and they proceeded thru all the anthrax cds up until We have come for you all. They did a behind the scenes type thing from the latest press conference, to old interviews, inside the studio where we saw charlie with his old bird's nest 80's hair to scott with his limited hair. They showed a few clips from the married with children episode and more.

The blues brothers started to play.

They played most of what was in Detroit except they replaced gung ho with lone justice, belly of the beast with in my world. They added madhouse.

Joey fucked up during lone justice and the crowd started the chant of Joey fucked up. :Spin: Scott got a good laugh and said "tough crowd!!" :loco:

As for my war wound, i HATE body surfers. That was cool back in 1990, I hate them with a passion. The first one was unexpected and between him falling on me and the bouncer pulling him over me to get him over the barricade,, he fell on me as I was over the barricade causing me to fall directing on my sternum getting a direct hit on top of barricade. Man, it hurts here and there. I survived though.

What was cool as when they were finished, Scott comes up to me without me asking for them and he says or at least I think so as my hearing wasn't good " You rock brother!" and he gave me a couple picks.

Dan was awesome! This was my 96th anthrax gig and he seemed very energetic even for him. Joey was being Joey!! He had the huge headdress during Indians!!

I can't say enough how awesome it was! I see why Chicago has it's reputation.

I got to be like Tom Hanks in the terminal. I got back to the airport at 11pm so I avoided a huge taxi cost but I ended up sleeping on chairs along with a group of 2 older ladies, old guy and their son who missed their connection. There was also a guy on his way back to Peru. We all took up our own chair/bed while the cleaning people did their nightly jobs. o_O

My sore/tired self is back in New Mexico.

I want to say it was awesome to meet all my fellow board members. Thanks thraxx for the dvd along with the cool hoody! Thanks Brent for trying to hook me up for the 2nd night although I wouldn't be able to be there!!

Thrashard925 said:
It took me a very long time to get into Sound Of White Noise. When I first heard Potters Field, My heart sank and was like WTF is this crap.

Potter's Field is one of the best songs of the Bush era. The song absolutely kicks ass and still sounds fresh 12 years later.