My studio Desk build Part 2

the_drip

Martriden K
Jan 8, 2004
Spokane WA.
I finished it!

The weather had set me back a few days, so i brought the whole mess inside and varnished the whole thing. 5 coats on the table top and 3 on everything else... Extra thick on the table just encase I spill my beer. The fumes might help my massive spiral into spelling issues on all my posts.

I normally do not like High gloss finishes cause they just feel kinda cheap and plastic. But after two coats of High gloss i tried my usual finish coat of Semi gloss and it just looked like shit so I sanded it down and started again with just gloss turned out much better.

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

that thing looks amazing. I missed out on part 1, so i'm assuming you built that entire thing yourself?

ya i built it took about 4 weeks and cost around 400-500...could have made it cheaper probably a third of that but i wanted something worth keeping for a while.

baltic Birch, and cherry plywood, along with some Solid cherry.

It really does look great. Fantastic work.

I don't suppose you put together those plans, or have a list of the woods you used etc.?

Hey Ermz im getting the plans together When i move into my new apartment On thursday. Im also going to work on a plan for a desk without sides for people with Stands like you had said. But HEY! i had a question for you, my Next build is going to be some serious Bass traps, i looked at real traps. and Watched a bunch of diy stuff on youtube but im a little confused cause some say leave them open and others say Back them With some mdf Should i just copy the real traps ones? and would you say 2" is fine.....Or would finding some 4" Owens corning or rockwhool and just using fewer traps be more economical?

Im only gonna be in the apartment for a short time so I'm looking to a future dedicated home studio.

looks great.....yeah dude if you could post those plans....that would be great......what could you have done different to knock it down a third of it's price? change the woods of course ....but what wood would you have used?

Well The one sheet of Cherry plywood cost 140 bucks...

And the birch plywood comes in a 5' by 5' sheet Around 50 bucks a sheet. Takes about 3

Paint/primer/Supplies Will cost another 50 bucks.

Stain and Poly will cost around 30 Depending on your Stain I used A high end Gel stain from Bartley. Minwax Gel stain sucks my taint.

And all the rack rails cost another 50 bucks.

Soo im lookin at...420

Now to make it alot cheaper and You could us just 3/4 AC plywood for about 30 bucks for a 4' by 8' sheet probably only need two sheets In total for the entire thing. total of 60

The hard wood trim and plywood top Is all personal preference You can get anything From Bubinga, walnut, Maple, teak, Mahogany, There's a ton of choices just depends were you go and availability But prices vary Hugely depending on what you pick...If i was going cheap but wanted to keep a wood look I would go for Oak or Mahogany, Lean towards Oak just because of its Durability. If you choose to do this your looking at probably 60 bucks

NOW the biggest thing i would change would have to definitely be the paint....I would scrap painting completely and go with black Formica and just Stick it on to the plywood and trim it off with a router ....This might not be cheaper then paint but Holy shit it would be alot tougher. Lady at the store said it would cost about 2 a square foot....so about 128 dollars.

If you skipped the wood trim and went the formica route you could probably do it for 240-250 plus the rack rails

If you went completely 3/4 mdf and just painted everything . your looking at about 110 bucks....but you'd chip in a half hour of using it..and it would look like shit shortly there after...plus it would weigh about 250 lbs. even if your working in pieces that's still not fun to move around.

These are ball park estimates by the way, Im in Montana so it might be Cheaper or maybe more expensive where you guys live.

Nice. Thanks for the run through.

As far as bass traps go, if you're really serious then the best thing you can do is cut up some superchunk bass traps. That's essentially when you cut the insulation into triangular pieces and stack them from top to bottom in your corners. Works way more effectively than straddling the corner with a panel. Much easier to do in terms of mounting, covering and stuff.

As far as panels go, if you're going for bass absorption make sure you're using stuff at least 4" thick.. ideally 6". The general rule is that coverage area beats mass, so cover as much of your corners as you can, even if it means sacrificing some 6" traps to make some 4" ones. But once again, if you're serious about it, make some superchunks. Even RealTraps recently released a superchunk based bass trap recently, and they tout it as the most effective bass trap on the market. So it really is all about cramming those corners with insulation.

With your future desk plan, if you could just design a sexier model of this thing, it would be ideal: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Studio_Desk_Plans.pdf

As far as practicality goes, that above desk is fantastic for most ITB guys. Only thing I'd change is adding another rack to the left side instead of the drawers. And beyond that just adding some angles for a 'wrap-around' effect, to make it more of a mothership feel. The Argosy Aura desks still slay me.

+infinity! :/

The bottom racks are only 12 spacers so Its not near as tall as the studio Rta

Holy shit Erms! Every time i watch those real trap videos I start freaking out over bass traps...damn apartment. But those Mega traps are super expensive. 249 or something per section...yikes. Im gonna have to figure out something that works similar but costs way cheaper.

So this wont work but i thought id ask just to see what you think.

If you had a full book shelf and moved the books back and fourth on each shelf to different Depths would it work as a sort of Half ass free diffuser if placed on your rear wall? would this do anything related to a real diffuser or have i just been thinking about this stuff to much?

If you had a full book shelf and moved the books back and fourth on each shelf to different Depths would it work as a sort of Half ass free diffuser if placed on your rear wall? would this do anything related to a real diffuser or have i just been thinking about this stuff to much?

From similar questions posted elsewhere, the answer seems to be that it's better than a bare wall, but (probably) won't be as effective as a real diffusor.

Nice desk, btw! :)

Oh and about the basstraps with or without an MDF backing, leave it out!
Make a frame out of wood, put some glass/rockwool inside, cover up with cloth and you're good to go. Judging from the desk, this shouldn't be a problem for you to make ;)

From similar questions posted elsewhere, the answer seems to be that it's better than a bare wall, but (probably) won't be as effective as a real diffusor.

Nice desk, btw! :)

Oh and about the basstraps with or without an MDF backing, leave it out!
Make a frame out of wood, put some glass/rockwool inside, cover up with cloth and you're good to go. Judging from the desk, this shouldn't be a problem for you to make ;)

Thanks Man! I will Leave the Mdf out.

As for mounting I figured that a bass trap must weigh what 5 lbs? Maybe typical picture frame mounting would be to flimsy and wouldn't keep the traps square on the wall.... Im thinking a laser level, some drywall anchors and putting some keyhole's in the bass trap frames with a router might be the best way to hang them up. Sorta like this

IMG_0224.jpg

Any thoughts?

the_drip@ looks awesome, what mixing console you're planning to get?