NAD - or isnt it?

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
I almost made a deal. peavey 6505, one year old. i took it for testing like for day or 2 and i have to decide by tomrrow if i want it.
my other head is a powerball. at first the powerball seemd to be much more digital sounding then the 6505, but then i understood finally i have to take the powerball treble way down.

my conclusions - the 6505 is a beast, but i find it a bit less versatile on its distortion. the PB knobs has much stronger effects, but much of it is inusable because it becomes harsh.

the biggest diiference i find is the low mids. never realized the powerball has so much low mids that you can get rid off. it makes it really darker sounding, and even harder to record i find, because those 200 hz are also a common resonance freq in thoe small rooms.

the 6505 is much more cleaner in this area, its almost like taking an EQ pedal and reducing 6 db from the powerball 200hz.

now the big desicion - Will i buy it? :err::err: i am too connected to my powerball to sell it, plus - the 6505 cleans suck ass. also the leads arent quite there. the powerball is much more polished for this stuff.

but 2 heads?! lol, i even dont have any band :zombie:

I find the pb amazing for clean and crunch. i also like its rythm channel but yea its hard to record it. i actually think that both of the amps get me quite covered tonewise no?

I've owned practically every high gain tube amp ever made (not even joking there, I'd be glad to provide a list :p ), and out of all of them, my 5150 is the only one I've kept. It just feels right.

never played a 5150.. they feel like a 6505? i remeber playing several heads when i bought the PB. i tried the 6505, Rctifier, Mark 5, and i really prefered the powerball back then.

and show us your list!!

also before i buy it.
just noticed something strange (or maybe not?).
when turning off the amp, i first put it on SB, then after a sec i turn off the main switch.
when turning off the main switch i actually here the amp diming, like turning it off with the SB off. is that normal?

also before i buy it.
just noticed something strange (or maybe not?).
when turning off the amp, i first put it on SB, then after a sec i turn off the main switch.
when turning off the main switch i actually here the amp diming, like turning it off with the SB off. is that normal?

after turning off the power, wait till the light goes out before turning off the standby, or it makes that popping noise

also, it's been said a million times before, but 5150 = 6505

lol , i was expecting evveryone to vote for the 6505 , it seems to be a large consensus on this thing.