powerball rant

I agree....

The Engl and Framus amps are sooo muddy and nasty. But probably great for people that love the "scooped" sound.:Smug:

Well I assume that you've played amps by both companies to validate that statement, but to clarify, I don't think anyone would call an Engl Savage/Blackmore scooped, and the Framus Cobra only sounds scooped when you have the (entirely useless IMO) "notch" switch engaged.

Ive recorded a powerball and it turned out shitty. I suck at recording though and was worse then so i did it no justice. I would rather have a Mesa dual rec and 5150 used for the price the guy payed for the thing new.

My apologies about my first comment. It was intended as a knock to the nu metal band who insisted on using the amp yet got a muddy sound. Definitely NOT intended as a knock to Lasse, as he very clearly stated he planned to reamp the tracks and do his own tone dialling anyway.

Very sorry about that, Lasse - I can see how that could easily be misconstrued. As everyone knows here, you get amazing tones!!! :headbang: :kickass:

Also I think I've gotten the Powerball mixed up with the Fireball. :loco:

My apologies about my first comment. It was intended as a knock to the nu metal band who insisted on using the amp yet got a muddy sound. Definitely NOT intended as a knock to Lasse, as he very clearly stated he planned to reamp the tracks and do his own tone dialling anyway.

Very sorry about that, Lasse - I can see how that could easily be misconstrued. As everyone knows here, you get amazing tones!!! :headbang: :kickass:

Also I think I've gotten the Powerball mixed up with the Fireball. :loco:

haha, thanks, np man, I actually haven't even understood your post like that and definitely was not offended in any way ;)

actually the notch switch is the only way how to NOT make the cobra sound like a car horn if you ask me...which you don't :lol:

anyways, my other guitar player's using a PB, and we recorded our last CD with that and my 5150...mainly the PB though. sounds fine to me...check out www.myspace.com/backslashmetal , the song desperation to be more precise - but granted, that's just the myspace player...
i found the cobra/PB combo to be not all that great...imho the PB sounds better. you either have the notch switch on the cobra disengaged, and consequently have all your treble and bass swallowed by the PB leaving the cobra with nothing but honky midrange, of engage the notch and have a balanced sound/good blend of tones but suffer from a severe lack of volume.
the 5150 blends far better with the PB (although the 5150 blends really well with a lot of amps, so go figure...), and right now i'm back to using my old marshall jcm800 2210 which totally destroys the PB in terms of volume, cut, and most importantly tone....the PB has more bass, gain, and certainly more features, but put up against the super liquid and organic sound of the 2210 it's just sterile and harsh sounding imho.

having that said, why somebody who's clearly after a "nu-metal" sound would choose the PB over a rectifier - especially an older one - is far beyond my horizon really....that's like choosing a vox ac30 over a marshall 2203 for that bay area thrash sound :lol:

I own a Powerball, so will try to be as unbiased as possible.

I think the reason it is so popular is because it probably has one of the best clean channels for a high gain amp. For example, the 5150, which has an absolutely horrible clean channel, but an amazing rhythm tone. I quite like the rhythm tone I get from my engl, running an EQ in the FX loop to get rid of the fizz, as well as a few adjustments to taste.

I run my gain around 7-9 o'clock depending on the master, and I get plenty of sustain out of it, as well as some extremely clear sounding rhythm tone. I did a quick youtube video with an audix i5 on my friends Marshall v30 cab with beam blockers and I was pretty happy with the tone. Haven't actually had a chance to have a proper go at recording the Powerball. A friend of mine is selling his, as he really liked it for live stuff, but was not a fan of it recorded.

Im going to try and prove him wrong :heh:

I'm actually getting some awesome tone out of my Powerball now that I've spent so much time with it. Definitely not muddy and no more processed sounding that my 5150. I might chuck some clips up and you guys can judge.

I see more dual and tri recs than I do engl stuff, along with 5150 half stacks (shit I know 4 people with 5150s). Welcome to America.
I'm pretty sure that has to do with the prizes... A Dual Rec is way over 2.000 Euros over here (last time I checked it was even 100 more than the Triple...) while the ENGL stuff is at about ~1.500 afaik.

I guess everyone here would love a Mesa but most people can't afford it so they go for an ENGL - or sometimes, if things get really waaaaay bad - a Mode Four. :puke:

Even though the 6505 is cheap I have only seen one (1) guy play it in a Soulflyish Band.

I think the reason it is so popular is because it probably has one of the best clean channels for a high gain amp. For example, the 5150, which has an absolutely horrible clean channel, but an amazing rhythm tone.

get something cheap like a behringer v-amp pro as well as a decent signal splitter like the morley aby box.
guitar->splitter-> a) vamp pro->fx return 5150
b) 5150 input
set the vamp for a decent clean tone with whatever fx you want, set the 5150's lead channels (yes channels) for your lead and rhythm sounds (you can have a boost in front to tighten things up, just put it between the splitter and the 5150 so it won't affect the vamp), and use your 5150 footswitch to switch between lead/rhythm (channel switch) as well as clean/dirty (fx loop switch). voila, the 5150 just turned into an awesome sounding 3 channel amp - with only a 2 button footswitch out front.
don't forget to plug a dummy cable in the fx send of the 5150 or it won't work.

as i said, right now i'm back to the marshall 2210, but if it doesn't work well in a live situation (for some reason) this is definitely the setup i'll be building. easy to set up, cheap to build, and a great sound.

actually the notch switch is the only way how to NOT make the cobra sound like a car horn if you ask me...which you don't :lol:

anyways, my other guitar player's using a PB, and we recorded our last CD with that and my 5150...mainly the PB though. sounds fine to me...check out www.myspace.com/backslashmetal , the song desperation to be more precise - but granted, that's just the myspace player...
i found the cobra/PB combo to be not all that great...imho the PB sounds better. you either have the notch switch on the cobra disengaged, and consequently have all your treble and bass swallowed by the PB leaving the cobra with nothing but honky midrange, of engage the notch and have a balanced sound/good blend of tones but suffer from a severe lack of volume.
the 5150 blends far better with the PB (although the 5150 blends really well with a lot of amps, so go figure...), and right now i'm back to using my old marshall jcm800 2210 which totally destroys the PB in terms of volume, cut, and most importantly tone....the PB has more bass, gain, and certainly more features, but put up against the super liquid and organic sound of the 2210 it's just sterile and harsh sounding imho.

having that said, why somebody who's clearly after a "nu-metal" sound would choose the PB over a rectifier - especially an older one - is far beyond my horizon really....that's like choosing a vox ac30 over a marshall 2203 for that bay area thrash sound :lol:

Man, that does sound good... the least fizzy and most balanced PB tone I've heard, although that could just be the MySpace player rolling off the highs. :loco:

Edit: the tones in Poidaobi's Braveheart clip are awesome as well, although the high end sounds a bit harsher in the rhythm tracks, a bit modeler-ish. His 5150 wins by a long shot, although I'd be happy with either tone!