powerball rant

Hate Eternal 'I, Monarch' was 4 tracks of Powerball and 2 tracks of JCM 800. I love that guitar tone but have never been blown away by any other PB recordings.

I agree....

The Engl and Framus amps are sooo muddy and nasty. But probably great for people that love the "scooped" sound.:Smug:
Well I assume that you've played amps by both companies to validate that statement, but to clarify, I don't think anyone would call an Engl Savage/Blackmore scooped, and the Framus Cobra only sounds scooped when you have the (entirely useless IMO) "notch" switch engaged.

well... I played an Engl Blackmore I believe, Framus Cobra, Bogner Uber, and a 6505 , all through a Bogner Uber cab..
Lets just say the Bogner blew everything away except for the 6505...... the Bogner sounded better than the 6505 I think, but not really $1500 better. So I bought the 6505.
:headbang:
But now I'm on a Revalver trip, I can get Revalver mk2 to sound identical to my 6505 mic'd up..........so I'm just waiting for mk3!!!!:Smokin:

I guess everyone here would love a Mesa but most people can't afford it so they go for an ENGL - or sometimes, if things get really waaaaay bad - a Mode Four. :puke:

I'd take an ENGL before the Mesas any day. My bandmate owns a Savage and it's the tightest heaviest amp I've played. No need for pedals as with the Dual rec.

why do guitarists insist on using their own amp in the studio?
why is it in 80% of those cases the Powerball??

NuMetalband I offered them a '93 Dualrec..."no, our guitarist has a PB and insists on using it"....

/rant

I your case I think it's just a typical guitarist thing. Telling a guitarist his gear sounds bad is like insulting his mother.

But you know there are people who don't like rectos (like me for instance). Maybe they prefer that tone and want something more unusual than the recto tone that you have heard on 1000 other cd's. I haven't played the Powerball but I know that it is commonly used in swedish metal. :saint:

I your case I think it's just a typical guitarist thing. Telling a guitarist his gear sounds bad is like insulting his mother.

But you know there are people who don't like rectos (like me for instance). Maybe they prefer that tone and want something more unusual than the recto tone that you have heard on 1000 other cd's. I haven't played the Powerball but I know that it is commonly used in swedish metal. :saint:

yeah, but sound-reference is Korn, Linking Park, Limp Bizkit.....

that's sooo not powerball;)

Just to make sure it: The :puke: was aimed at the Mode4! ;)

i used to think the same about the mode four and i still kinda do, but i know this one guitarist who somehow gets this just amazing tone outa one, no fucking clue how he does it but it definatly does not sound like a mode four it sounds ....good.

First time i ever heard a powerball, was a kid in a emo-hardcore band, he had a PRS Custom > PB > Mesa oversized cab, his tone was hands down phenominal, the band sucked but his sound blew me away. I've bleed mesa for 13yrs and i want an Engl bad after the hearing this kid and some of the clips Engl users have posted here. not to mention the vids of Jeff Loomis in germany playing thru an SE was also awesome.

Those clips of Frequency are awesome too.

I love the guitar sound on "pitch black"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=265529

That's a pretty good representation of the Powerball sound. It does sound very cool, especially with the Yngwie meets In Flames music.

I tend to prefer a less grainy sound for myself these days though.

First time i ever heard a powerball, was a kid in a emo-hardcore band, he had a PRS Custom > PB > Mesa oversized cab, his tone was hands down phenominal, the band sucked but his sound blew me away. I've bleed mesa for 13yrs and i want an Engl bad after the hearing this kid and some of the clips Engl users have posted here. not to mention the vids of Jeff Loomis in germany playing thru an SE was also awesome.

Those clips of Frequency are awesome too.

I love the guitar sound on "pitch black"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=265529

That sounds like the ENGL sound, :kickass: I love it. Don't forget Rammstein, I think they play a mix between engl and mesa and their tone is huge.

Just a price comparison too, for those not familiar with prices in Europe:

Dual Rectifier = 2590 euros (4092 USD)
Triple Rectifier = 2490 euros (3934 USD) (don't ask me why the triple is cheaper :loco:)

Powerball = 1555 euros (2457 USD)
Savage = 1950 euros (3081 USD)

6505 = 1111 euros (1755 USD)
Krank Revolution = 1499 euros (2368 USD)

Oh by the way, in Europe we have 220-240V electricity. I have heard people say that the mesas sound better in america and the peaveys sound better in europe because of the electricity (don't know if it's true though). Maybe that's why the ENGL's and peaveys are more popular than the mesas over here in sweden, because they simply sound better over here :) Who knows. :lol: