powerball rant

Oh by the way, in Europe we have 220-240V electricity. I have heard people say that the mesas sound better in america and the peaveys sound better in europe because of the electricity (don't know if it's true though). Maybe that's why the ENGL's and peaveys are more popular than the mesas over here in sweden, because they simply sound better over here :) Who knows. :lol:

nope, IF AT ALL it'd be the 50/60Hz.thing.

the voltage in the amp (secondary windings) is the same.

We used a 5150 and a Powerball to reamp some of the tracks for a demo of my band this weekend.

Chain was : Reamp device=>Maxon OD808=>Powerball=>Bogner 2x12" cab=> 57 and Royer going into Great River and API pres=>Rosetta 200

57 :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/guitars/Angels Guitars ENGL (sm57).mp3
Royer :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/guitars/Angels Guitars ENGL (royer).mp3

Tracks are raw, we tried to get a very metal tone out of it. In the end most of the guitar sound will be 5150 which is better balanced, but those tracks add something good I think.

Sounds to fizzy for me and imho there's to much gain going on, and the sm57 sample sounds better to me.
Is that your chain?
Powerball into Maxon and than into the cab? I hope that this is wrong (even if you mean that the Maxon is in the Loop).
Played the P-Ball a few times, it's not bad if you set it up right but you have to set gain really low (that thing has gain for like 10 amps).

But if I would play in a new metal band I would just use Lasse's amps, eventually reamp through the Powerball to get another sound but as main amp I would use the Dual Recto. Just for new metal.
For the stuff I play most of the time 5150 all the time.

Rammstein don't play Engls Richard uses a Dual Recto and Paul plays Tech21 PSA-1 pre into a Mesa Strategy 500 Poweramp.

125_b.jpg

Hey, I'm sure Krank would show something very similar with Nergal and Seth from Behemoth, but we've all heard about the dummy backline of Kranks with a Recto and Laboga half stack making the sound behind 'em ;)

I'm sure Paul Landers doesn't need the possible money Engl gives or that he would just pick some random manufacturer to "endorse" him while he would really use some other amps (for which he could easily get an endorsement with the world-wide fame of Rammstein).

I'm sure Paul Landers doesn't need the possible money Engl gives or that he would just pick some random manufacturer to "endorse" him while he would really use some other amps (for which he could easily get an endorsement with the world-wide fame of Rammstein).

agreed. unless maybe they offered more money or a better deal. i would definitely play with a dummy backline for extra money, but thats me and i`m a whore lol

not to mention the vids of Jeff Loomis in germany playing thru an SE was also awesome.

Can you post the link please ?

Anyway i like all of the PB tones that you guys put as links.

A friend of mine (guitar player fromthe band EYELESS) is using the PB also and has a badass tone (live/rehearsal/studio). I own an SE myself and dig ENGL amps (love the Blackmore also).

My last band got a powerball and it turned out quiet well I think.
Although the gate sucks-only useable for live applications because it cuts a lot of attack when opening.

Synaptic

Can you post the link please ?

Anyway i like all of the PB tones that you guys put as links.

A friend of mine (guitar player fromthe band EYELESS) is using the PB also and has a badass tone (live/rehearsal/studio). I own an SE myself and dig ENGL amps (love the Blackmore also).

Part 1:

Part 2:

Last edited by a moderator: