NAMM Show

Whooo hoo, I've been NAMM-ly hooked up! I shall be there, maybe Friday or all three days. Aaaahhhh, to be on vacation! hehehheh...

Anyway, speaking of pimping shows, if you're looking for something to do on Saturday 1/17, drop by The Shack (located very close to the NAMM show just north of where the 91 and 57 meet) for a night of metal and rock tributes, featuring Hangar 18: A Tribute to Megadeth. This will be my debut show behind dah big bad five string for this band, which includes some of my former Raven Mad bandmates -- wheeeee! Other bands on the bill are Lemmy's Wart, a killer tribute to Motorhead, featuring Abattoir's Steve Gaines as Lemmeister himself, Prophecy, a tribute to Queensryche which features former New Eden vocalist Tony DeVita on vox, plus Orange County's tribute to AC/DC, aptly called OC/DC. Even if you aren't going to NAMM drop by the show and say hi!

The skinny can be found on the Hangar 18 website:

http://www.megadethtribute.com

or on Moshking.com, Southern California's only metal concert update:

http://www.moshking.com

Hope to see y'all there, or at NAMM! :)

Nikki-So far, I haven't heard anything about Friday night shows. Usually, our company gets a book that has all the info for shows during NAMM. We didn't get it this time or it has imploded and we can't find any of the traces.

Have you ever been to the Nashville NAMM? There was a show I saw either last year or the year before while there that was just unreal. It was done by a drumstick company and they had all these drummers doing drum solos. Some of the stuff I heard that night was just amazing. Some guy from Australia just left the crowd with their jaws on the ground.

If I find anything more about Friday I will let you know.

Originally posted by ah87ts
Look up booth #5976. Will be there the whole week. BTW, for those going, there is a really good show on Thrusday night at Sixteen Fifty Club. It is a fusion jazz show. Scott McGill is playing with Michael Mannring on bass. Plus, they have a drummer that will make your jaw hit the ground. These guys are all not from this planet. Also, word is that opening groups have old members of Megadeth and Yngwie Malmsteem.

ok, I'VE GOT TO SEE THIS! My roommate recently turned me on to Mannring, so that means I've already heard McGill, huh. MONSTER SESSION ALERT!

Mannering has done a lot of session stuff and solo projects. Just in the last year or two or so has he started this thing with McGill and Stevens. I saw them a year or two ago at the LA NAMM and was totally blown away. It will definitely be a 'Monster Session'.

I saw Manring quite a few times back in the days when I used to see Alex for advice- he would have a jam session or a show with Alex and I would hang out and see them play. He's a monster on bass. They were in another project together- did anybody ever hear "Attention Deficit"? That stuff is out there- Alex on guitar, Michael on bass, and Tim Alexander of Primus on drums. I enjoy their monstrous jamming tho. I miss that CD. I loaned it to somebody and I haven't seen it since.:bah:

I haven't heard of that CD but you could probably find it online. I have found some hard to find stuff online. What is Alex doing now? I saw Testament when they first came out. Great show.

I thought I had heard Alex had started playing again with some group. Can't remember who it was though.

Alex lives in NYC now and has been playing around the East Coast quite a lot- his band is called Alex Skolnick Trio and I just got a CD from him not too long a go- it's really good! If you like jazz of course. He gets a kick out of what The Iron Maidens are doing- I am trying to get him to come to our show.

Originally posted by bassbitch
Anyway, speaking of pimping shows, if you're looking for something to do on Saturday 1/17, drop by The Shack

Mel, I think you meant FRIDAY 1/17. Don't want peeps showing up the day after the gig now, do ya?;) And besides, WE have a show SATURDAY 1/18 anyone looking for a gig after NAMM should attend! :p Tho it's a bit of a drive. We'll be playing in San Diego Saturday at Canes. Check out our website for more info! See ya at NAMM!

What you all are doing is very cool. The band sounds great.

I just had heard he was playing with some more pop thing. Wish I could remember where I read or heard that.

I see I wasn't the only one at CES. But I must be getting old... I didn't even enjoy CES this year and I'm always a kid in a candy store at that show. :) Those blue-ray DVDs are unreal. Shame they won't be on the market until 2005 or 06.

I remember hearing about Mannring back during my bass playing days. He had a sick custom bass made. Fretless, with the lower area for his left hand cut deeper into the body so he could play much higher notes.

But what was insane were these switches on the headstock and bridge that would switch the tuning. I distinctly remember reading it would allow for 256 different tuning combinations. I was, like, WTF? Who needs that? Mannring's a monster talent but there are times when I think he's a guitarist in a bassist's body.

Skolnick, well, no surprise where he went, really. I remember interviewing him when he was in Testament and thinking 'he's gonna outgrow this scene real fast.' Now it all seems a waste, doesn't it? He'd make a better living getting a turn table and learning how to scratch. :mad:

For people who like shamless displays of chops, anyone here heard of Liquid Tension Experiment?

Originally posted by Melisan
I see I wasn't the only one at CES. But I must be getting old... I didn't even enjoy CES this year and I'm always a kid in a candy store at that show. :) Those blue-ray DVDs are unreal. Shame they won't be on the market until 2005 or 06.

I remember hearing about Mannring back during my bass playing days. He had a sick custom bass made. Fretless, with the lower area for his left hand cut deeper into the body so he could play much higher notes.

But what was insane were these switches on the headstock and bridge that would switch the tuning. I distinctly remember reading it would allow for 256 different tuning combinations. I was, like, WTF? Who needs that? Mannring's a monster talent but there are times when I think he's a guitarist in a bassist's body.

Skolnick, well, no surprise where he went, really. I remember interviewing him when he was in Testament and thinking 'he's gonna outgrow this scene real fast.' Now it all seems a waste, doesn't it? He'd make a better living getting a turn table and learning how to scratch. :mad:

For people who like shamless displays of chops, anyone here heard of Liquid Tension Experiment?

So many musicians, so little time...

I've heard of Liquid Tension Experiment (a few times), but always have something else to grab, so I haven't picked them up yet. But at least Gordian Knot II (the Japanese version) is on its way to me at the moment.

In other news, another of my favorite guitarists will be at NAMM
From the Vinnie Moore website
Meet Vinman at the NAMM show in Anaheim, California on January 17 and 18. He will be hanging at the Music Man/Ernie Ball booth. Stop on in and talk some FOOT-BALL with Vin and the guys.

Say hi to Vinnie for me ladies! (Even though he will have no idea who I am...)

Originally posted by Doodoobubbachuck
Mike Portnoy rocks!:headbang:

That hyperactive squirt needs to take his Ritalin more often. His picture should be in the dictionary next to the definition of "overplaying."

Not to mention his penchant for shooting off his big yap and pissing off fans. Corey Taylor could learn a few tricks from him. :rolleyes:

Petrucci is an amazing talent. I WILL catch the G3 tour this year.

That hyperactive squirt needs to take his Ritalin more often. His picture should be in the dictionary next to the definition of "overplaying."

Not to mention his penchant for shooting off his big yap and pissing off fans. Corey Taylor could learn a few tricks from him. :rolleyes:

Petrucci is an amazing talent. I WILL catch the G3 tour this year.

O.S.I. is due in February...

http://www.OSIband.com/

Oh, I almost forgot... Alex Skolnick is also in the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Think Mannheim Steamroller with a rock edge and a singer. They tour only around Christmas. The guys from Savatage started it a few years back. Thier shows are slowly gaining momentum, but when you tour one month a year, it takes a while to get things going.

Hey Iron Maidens! You all may need bodyguards at NAMM. Sounds like that Guitar World ad is causing a stir. Just got off the phone with one of my store accounts and they had been talking about the band with a rep from BOSS. Hmm, you may have to make a stop at their booth at NAMM. Anyway, it sounds like that ad is doing the band some good publicity. Everyone I have talked to out here in the northeast really thinks what the band is doing is very cool.:cool:

Nikki-I am getting the idea you like Mike Portnoy? What do you think of Mark Zonder (FW)?

And John Arch!!!

From the Metal Blade Records website:
John Arch,former front man of the ever-popular progressive rock band Fates Warning signs deal w/Metal Blade,

John Arch, former front man of the ever-popular progressive rock band Fates Warning, has just signed a solo deal with Metal Blade Records. The solo EP will be approximately 20 minutes in length and John Arch will have the help of some amazing musicians backing him up like Jim Mathoes on Guitar, Joey Vera on bass and Mike Portnoy on drums. The tentative title will be John Arch A Twist of Fate. Expect nothing short of sheer genius from these musicians! More information soon to follow.

Originally posted by bassbitch
Whooo hoo, I've been NAMM-ly hooked up! I shall be there, maybe Friday or all three days. Hope to see y'all there, or at NAMM! :)

Good for you kid! I'll be there Friday Night & all day Saturday. CU There...

Originally posted by bassbitch ...if you're looking for something to do on Saturday 1/17, drop by The Shack for a night of metal and rock tributes, featuring Hangar 18: A Tribute to Megadeth. This will be my debut show behind dah big bad five string for this band, which includes some of my former Raven Mad bandmates -- wheeeee!

Let me see... that's Friday, que no? I'll swing by after the show closes... that's if I can't get into the Yamaha thingy with Elton John. Can't wait to see you blast through some of those classic MD songs.

Yeah CES was a trip this year... just got back. This was the 1st year in a long time that I didn't have to stay in a booth the whole time. It was cool to walk around for the whole thing. The blue-ray DVDs where pretty amazing. The coolest part was seeing Alanis Morriset at the Sirius Booth. I was a giddy little groupie after that... :)