NAMM Show

Originally posted by ah87ts
Sounds like that Guitar World ad is causing a stir. Just got off the phone with one of my store accounts and they had been talking about the band with a rep from BOSS. Hmm, you may have to make a stop at their booth at NAMM.

Thanks for the headsup, ah87ts. Anyway, we'll check out your booth.

I saw Mark Zonder a few years back with FW and he was so precise-- it was scary.

Do you know who Mark Wood is?

Hey Maidens! Back from NAMM. Talk about a cold wake up call. Came back to Ohio and 18 degree weather and lots of snow. Suppose to get to single digits later this week. Going to have to talk to the bosses of a move to CA.

Great talking to all of you. Wished I would of had more time to chat.

Adrianne-haven't heard of Mark Wood. Who is he? BTW, did find that Alex was playing at some electric violin booth. They had people from TSO playing and he was scheduled. Didn't see him though.

Originally posted by Adrianne Smith
Thanks for the headsup, ah87ts. Anyway, we'll check out your booth.

I saw Mark Zonder a few years back with FW and he was so precise-- it was scary.

One of the reasons I am a huge FW fan!

As for Mark Wood... doesn't sound familiar. ???

Originally posted by Melisan
That hyperactive squirt needs to take his Ritalin more often. His picture should be in the dictionary next to the definition of "overplaying."

Not to mention his penchant for shooting off his big yap and pissing off fans. Corey Taylor could learn a few tricks from him. :rolleyes:

Petrucci is an amazing talent. I WILL catch the G3 tour this year.

:lol:

Originally posted by ah87ts
Hey Maidens! Back from NAMM. Talk about a cold wake up call. Came back to Ohio and 18 degree weather and lots of snow. Suppose to get to single digits later this week. Going to have to talk to the bosses of a move to CA.

Great talking to all of you. Wished I would of had more time to chat.

Glad you had a safe trip back, even tho you had to leave our beautiful weather. This year was alot of fun; I met lots of cool people! I even stuck with tradition and visited Glenn the Ebow guy who has played Elenor Rigby for me ever since NAMM '91.

Hey, did anyone hear the new marshall mode four head? 350 watts! Yeah, the clean sound was tight, but I'm still not sold on their crunch.

Sara 'Mini'. I didn't hear the Marshall. Went by there a few times but nothing was going on. The amp I liked the most was the Groove Tube amps.
We had Hughes/Kettner, Tech 21 and GT around us. The GT seemed to have the warmest sound of all of them. Their one tech came up with a new circuit to give the amps a lot of crunch. Turned out the guy is playing in RATT right now. The only draw back to GT is the $$$. They are expensive. But you can get a great sound and tone in a smaller package.

Did you say that BOSS was doing a 'Dave Murray' pedal?

BTW, that guy with ebow is cool to listen to. He sold one to me a few years back. Those little things (ebows) are fun to play with.

Hope they (Dunlop) give you a good deal on one.

BTW, tell me how the weather is out there. It's single digits here in Ohio right now. brrrrr. I'm wearing layers of clothes and still cold. Going to have to get some hot choco soon.

Have you put anymore thought to putting a guitar together that looks like Dave's?

As far as the Fates go... I always prefered the John Arch era.

I wonder why many people feel this way. The music was better, and Mark Zonder's a better drummer than Steve Zimmerman, not to mention Ray Alder is the man!

Only Fates albums I have are after Ray joined.

And Zonder is just amazing to watch play. Almost a machine.

I like all the Fates Warning albums. John Arch had a bullet point vocal style, and his lyrics have a lot going on (not much repetition). Thus, you may spend a few listens just figuring out what he is singing... Ray Alder is more of a 'Melody' man, with not as much depth (i.e. content) to the lyrics as the Arch era.

Also, early Fates is harder and more raw, while the later stuff (starting with No Exit) is more progressive and refined.

The Ivory Gate Of Dreams is still by far my favorite Fates song. And they even had a piano with them on the No Exit tour (the first time I saw/heard of them), which just made hearing it live that much more special!

Also, early Fates is harder and more raw, while the later stuff (starting with No Exit) is more progressive and refined.

Perfect Symmetry sounds raw, hard and proggy. My fave album, actually, is Parallels - and that album owes more to Rush than Iron Maiden (and the lyrics are just fine, too). :headbang:

Originally posted by feralkid
Perfect Symmetry sounds raw, hard and proggy. My fave album, actually, is Parallels - and that album owes more to Rush than Iron Maiden (and the lyrics are just fine, too). :headbang:

When I said raw (r.e. the first three Fates albums), perhaps I should have said 'unrefined'. Perfect Symmetry is a very powerful album, but the guitars sound (to my ear anyways) more refined than the earlier works.

That's not to say that the earlier sound doesn't kick much ass, though... I can't call a favorite album (there are bits of all of them I really like). I did like the direction Disconnected went with the last few songs, and am wondering what the Fates guys have planned for the next album...

In other news, Redemption (with some Fates/Engine members onboard) finally has a label, and a March release date (www.ivorygate.com/redemption).

Clip from Sensory Music label:

Release Date: March 18, 2003

After co-writing a song on Fates Warning vocalist Ray Alder's "Engine" album, guitarist Nick van Dyk was able to coax the metal legend into participating in his evolving Redemption project as both a producer and as a performer.

Corraling Fates Warning bassist Joey Vera to engineer, van Dyk assembled a lineup for Redemption that reads like a who's who of metal:

Rick Mythiasin (Steel Prophet) - vocals
Jason Rullo (Symphony X) - drums
Nick van Dyk - guitars, basses and keyboards
Bernie Versailles (Agent Steel, Fates Warning) - guitars

Guests:
Ray Alder (Fates Warning) - vocals
Michael Romeo (Symphony X) - orchestrations
Mark Zonder (Fates Warning) - drums

Nick describes his music as dark progressive power metal with a sound that reflects a hypothetical combination of Evergrey, later-period Savatage, Kansas, Iron Maiden and Fates Warning. From the opening multi-part title suite to "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (clocking in at nearly 24 minutes), "Redemption" seamlessly blends complexity and power. Epic in scope and heavy as hell, the project is sure to give a needed jolt to the metal community.

As I Lay Dying .mp3 from Redemption's new album.

Originally posted by Adrianne Smith

The electric Heavy Metal violinist that everyone here is talking about but can't remember his name. I couldn't remember his name until Jojo put it up, but I do remember hearing his stuff.

So, that is Mark Wood. Is he playing for Trans Siberian? When I was at NAMM I saw a guy playing at a booth. He was playing, I think, a 6 string violin. The sign said it was all guys from TSO.

As for fave Fates albums. Mine is the 'Pleasant Shade of Grey'. Just a phenomenal CD start to finish. I like 'disconnected' but didn't like the guitar sound. Too erklish.

Originally posted by smylex
The electric Heavy Metal violinist that everyone here is talking about but can't remember his name. I couldn't remember his name until Jojo put it up, but I do remember hearing his stuff.

Indeed. He's been around forever. ah87ts, you probably saw alex at Mark's booth. How was their jam? was it monstrous??

I'm down with the sickness... :ill:

Jojo-Sorry to hear about all the sickness going around out there. One of the other guys from our company got sick too.

As for the booth jam, I didn't get to see Alex. When I walked up the violinist and some guy playing electronic drums were jamming. They had just finished a song when I walked up and were starting to take questions, so I didn't get to hear much.