Necrophagist-Epitaph

Nov 6, 2006
Taylor, MI
I remember seeing some details floating around here a few years ago, does anybody remember the amps that were used for the rhythm guitars?
they seem fairly low gain yet very broken up and articulate. One of my favorite records of all time!

I'm pretty sure it was ENGL. For some reason I could never get into Epitaph minus Stabwound, I always thought Onset was way way better.

Epitaph and Onset are pretty much equal for me, except for Symbiotic in Theory, which is everything that people hate about tech death rolled into one song.

Pretty sure it's a Savage too.

Pretty sure it was an ENGL Rackhead as mentioned, but I'm also pretty positive they recorded a lot of it in half-time and sped it up for the lack-of-pick-attack aesthetic.

Keep hearing that. Is it definitely true?

I first heard 'Diminished to Be', high, on the tube coming back from Camden when I was 17. Blew my mind obviously. Some good tracks on that CD.

Pretty sure it was an ENGL Rackhead as mentioned, but I'm also pretty positive they recorded a lot of it in half-time and sped it up for the lack-of-pick-attack aesthetic.

I personally wouldn't be too surprised about that, even though muhammad is brutally tight with his playing.

You mean for leads or rhythms Jeff? Or both?

Definitely for leads, but I heard it was used on a lot of the rhythms as well. Just word-of-mouth type stuff from guys who have toured with them, nothing 100% concrete.

It certainly doesn't surprise me to imagine them doing that, though. Obviously they can pull it off live, but it does give the record a certain aesthetic.

Technology wouldnt allow for half speed tracking to yield a result as good as that record. Plus i have developed an ear that can pick that stuff out pretty quick, I never heard any red flags.

There's been like 3 times in the past few years where I keep telling myself "I'm going to learn every song on Onset to further my guitar skills". I always give up at song 2.

I'd try learning Stabwound on bass but I think I've got a better chance of snapping the devil ice skating to work for an elaborate xmas card...