Need feedback on PP USA IX

"More bands are touring than ever before in the States making the “exclusive” tag harder and harder to get. "

Regardless of this your event is as exclusive as it gets, you could have 2 "exclusive" bands on the bill that never played here before and it would still be the premiere metal fest in this country.

psstt...... Andromeda .......

I don't see an issue Glenn. Wacken does it, ProgPower UK did it (I think?).

You'll sell out next year regardless of when you announce. Your/the festival's fan base does a lot of promotion for you throughout the year prior to ticket sales ad when tickets go on sale.

p.s. I'm excited about the announcement for the progpower after next starting at the end of the last announcement for the upcoming show.

Glenn, like you said, it' becoming business more and more. And strange and difficult business it is, but i can't imagine that it is so important for a band at a lower slot to book and announce that far ahead.

Just give us the headliners and save the rest for the 'excitement' next spring ;)

*More festivals (Powerfest, Barfest, Madfest, Nathanfest)

I swear I'm going to have a festival named this just for you, Glenn, and you're going to be my guest of honor and you'll be forced to stage-dive at least once on each day of the festival.

Let me reiterate that my post earlier is merely asking more experienced people than myself for input on band selection. I'd like to have a successful festival but I don't want to book bands that won't draw (like what I did 3 years ago, you'll recall). Right now, all I have is an absolutely amazing venue that is willing to work with me on making a festival happen - that in and of itself is not a festival, it's merely an acorn from which a festival oak may grow from later ... we'll see ... :zombie:

As for the business at hand, whoever mentioned the point about the "die-hards," I definitely feel that I fit into that category and I'm going to come regardless of who is booked, when it is booked, when it is announced or when the festival is. ProgPower has exposed me to bands I might now otherwise have ever heard of or seen live, so I am coming no matter what ...

unless you book SLIPKNOT ... then I'm not coming. :lol:

-Nathan
Proud founder of NathanFest
Coming in 2012!

Bands are booking their schedules over a year in advance now to stay competitive with the market place.

Yeah, tell me about it. I just now, before coming to this forum, did a search on the Doodlebops because my three year old wants to see their show. They already have 2008 dates all lined up!

The drawback:
*The excitement of the announcements is gone.
*The momentum built towards the ticket sale date from January to March is gone.

The excitement of the announcement is like foreplay. It was always fun in past years when you could work out a blockbuster announcement date, but we can easily get along without it if we have to.

The momentum to ticket sales shouldn't be a factor unless it actually impacts sales, and I can't see that happening.

The one other neat thing that could come out of this is that if you have a band confirmed for PPIX by the time of PP VIII, you could invite them to PP VIII as guests so they can hang out with the crowd and build anticipation for their performance one year away. That would actually be really cool if we could meet this year with a few of next year's performers! That actually provides an aspect of year-to-year continuity that we don't have yet.

Ken

I swear I'm going to have a festival named this just for you, Glenn, and you're going to be my guest of honor and you'll be forced to stage-dive at least once on each day of the festival.

Let me reiterate that my post earlier is merely asking more experienced people than myself for input on band selection. I'd like to have a successful festival but I don't want to book bands that won't draw (like what I did 3 years ago, you'll recall). Right now, all I have is an absolutely amazing venue that is willing to work with me on making a festival happen - that in and of itself is not a festival, it's merely an acorn from which a festival oak may grow from later ... we'll see ...

As for the business at hand, whoever mentioned the point about the "die-hards," I definitely feel that I fit into that category and I'm going to come regardless of who is booked, when it is booked, when it is announced or when the festival is. ProgPower has exposed me to bands I might now otherwise have ever heard of or seen live, so I am coming no matter what ...

unless you book SLIPKNOT ... then I'm not coming.

*lol* You beat me to it, I was going to say exactly the same thing,
no Slipknot! :heh:

Seriously, for me the festival is larger than the bands performing, although
they are very important. The surprise element is nice, but I plan to be there regardless. Do what ya need to do Glenn! :headbang:

I'm not that big on the excitement factor, so I guess you can lump me into the "a good show is a good show no matter when it's announced" camp.
I also agree that the fence sitters may benefit from having stuff announced early. I've been there since the first one, and I'll keep on coming to the fest as long as I am physically & financially able. (Midtown hotels be damned!)
As far as ticket sale momentum/announcements are concerned, I think with a strong lineup, plus a built in marketing group that attends your fests each year, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. You're right, nostalgia is nice, but you have to deal with what the situation dictates, and make changes accordingly.....

Glenn, I've just been to ProgPowerVII that was my first festival ever. I flew 2000 miles aprox and drove for 8 hours back and forth my hometown. The festival gave me a reason to look forward to something as you have no idea.

I've been having nightmares about not going because I haven't still booked the hotel and plane tickets. To my humble opinion, it doesn't matter wether you announce in advance who is going to be at the next progpower I will still be there. The feeling(vibe) of the people who attend the show and the discussions in the forum make it worth attending, of course the bands you guys have booked are the best. In this progpower I only knew 3 or 4 bands, at the beginning I felt a little dissappointed but as I began to listen to the discography of those bands I trust more than ever in your decisions.

Keep up the good work, I know you will be always on top of things.

Sincerily Miguel

As far as I'm concerned, the sooner bands are announced (cough, couch, Riverside, cough, cough), the better. While logging on to see the puzzle pieces filled in each week is entertaining, I'd just as soon know as soon as it becomes official.

Perhaps I have a different take on this, since I make the decision to go every year before the first band is announced. However, I think the more time you have the promote the roster, the more time you have to gain a sell out. Plus, I think the festival is established enough, that if you have a quality line-up (cough, couch, Riverside, cough, cough), it's going go sell out.

Zod

P.S. - I talked to Warrell, he said, "He's sorry"

P.S.S. - I didn't really talk to Warrell... but I bet he's sorry.

P.S.S.S. - OK... so I have no real insight into whether or not Warrell is sorry, but as the saying goes, "3rd time is the charm".

P.S.S.S.S - Pleeeeeeeeeease

The excitement of the announcement is like foreplay. It was always fun in past years when you could work out a blockbuster announcement date, but we can easily get along without it if we have to.

I don't know about the foreplay part, but I agree with the rest of this. I've always liked the way the announcement was made in the past. After the fest you have a couple of weeks to bask in the afterglow. Then the withdrawal really hits. It's great to start thinking about next year's performers at that point.

However, you do what you have to do Glenn.

P.S. - I talked to Warrell, he said, "He's sorry"

P.S.S. - I didn't really talk to Warrell... but I bet he's sorry.

P.S.S.S. - OK... so I have no real insight into whether or not Warrell is sorry, but as the saying goes, "3rd time is the charm".

P.S.S.S.S - Pleeeeeeeeeease

Hell yeah ! But back on this topic :)

Glenn, I've just been to ProgPowerVII that was my first festival ever. I flew 2000 miles approx and drove for 8 hours back and forth my hometown.

Hell, I flew over the damn Atlantic Ocean to be there last year (first festival as well as first time in the US) and I damn plan to come back every year, regardless of who is playing (except for the Slipknot factor others have mentionned above).

This festival is just as much being with people as seeing an amazing show, but I understand people needing to know who's playing to be able to plan the money side of things. In this case knowing earlier means it's easier to figure out if and how you're gonna come.

The announcing-game/guessing was fun. Let it rest in peace if that's what's needed.

I say start announcing bands for PP X!!! So what I am trying to say is the sooner the better, but I will be more than happy with whatever your choice is.

I haven't booked any bands yet (or maybe I have...hmmm), so I would put potential sponsors on notice ASAP. I have an 80% return rate on sponsors so I don't think it will bother them to commit earlier.

Well.. Thanks for asking us. I think that shows more that you care about us as fans than you do about how you run this thing, which I guess is good for running this thing regardless. Lol..

Anyway, the way I see it, is that it doesn't put anyone in a spot of "please keep the bands a secret." You do what you need to do in order to make this thing work like it has, and like you said, if there's a bump in the road like this .. then announce the bands as they're booked if you have to. I don't think anyone is going to complain.

However, I also have a question of sponsorship. There are 3 bands I would love to sponsor, 2 of which would be exellent 1-3 power spots (not sure how keen you are on bringing Elvenking in for a show, but I would bet you'd get a good reaction). However, since I've only put a bid in once this past year, I wouldn't be considered one of those 80%'s. So, for a case like mine, how would that work? Do I just hope you book the bands or tell you I'd be interested in sponsoring them before you make all the arrangements?

You send in a blind bid.
You wait and see if the band is announced that was on your list.
You check the website to see if you are a sponsor.

You indeed are simply hoping I book them.

When I refer to the 80%, that just means that those same people year after year send in either a large list for me to pick from, large amount, or just say that "I'll take whoever."