Need feedback on PP USA IX

I wish I could add some deep insight here, but I'm just going to echo the thoughts of everyone else (yeah, I'm a sheep).

I thought the weekly announcement for PPIII & IV was great. Since then, I bought a gold badge and KNOW I'm going every year (even if you booked Slipknot - I mean, the bar is still there, right). So, I don't really care when you announce the bands.

That said, a partial (or full if you could manage it) list of bands given during your end of show thank you speech would be an excellent cap to the fest. As an added bonus, if you name a top band and receive nothing but blank stares, you'll know that you had best go out and book Iced Earth or Iron Maiden :)

So, go for it! It'll be a nice twist, a good lead up to the Jam, and you'll get immediate crowd reaction. If you lose too much steam in the off season because you aren't naming bands, you can go back to the old method. Like I said, I'll be there either way (unless you do something REALLY REALLY bad and book the fest for Sept 20th 2008, in which case I will have to attend a family function and be tempted to piss off everyone I know)

Steve in Philly

Hey Glenn,

For what it's worth, I don't think "the excitement of the announcements" is what drew people to all of these PPUSA festivals; it was the awesome line-up of bands and the blood, sweat, and tears you and your staff put into each show. You're thinking the sizzle sells the festival. I think it's the steak. Your music fests are the best run in the world, with the most interesting hand-picked bands around. That's why people flock to them.

Your solution is logically sound. Book the bands as early as you need to.

Your counter argument is also sound. A killer PPUSA line-up will sell out no matter when you announce it. You have hoards of fans out here who will promote the shit outta your fest until it sells out, come hell or high water.

My vote: Book the bands ASAP. Announce when you feel it's right. If that's at this year's fest, so be it. If it's later on via the web site or e-mails, groovy. The important thing, the very most important thing, is for you to get the bands you want to see. All else is secondary.

If you book it, they will come, baby.

Personally, I'd love to know what next year's bands will be while I attend this year's festival. It would DOUBLE the excitement. Plus, all the bands who are playing this year will feel even more special, even more part of something huge and ongoing.

Cheers,

Bill

As far as I'm concerned, the sooner bands are announced (cough, couch, Riverside, cough, cough), the better. While logging on to see the puzzle pieces filled in each week is entertaining, I'd just as soon know as soon as it becomes official.

Perhaps I have a different take on this, since I make the decision to go every year before the first band is announced. However, I think the more time you have the promote the roster, the more time you have to gain a sell out. Plus, I think the festival is established enough, that if you have a quality line-up (cough, couch, Riverside, cough, cough), it's going go sell out.

Zod

P.S. - I talked to Warrell, he said, "He's sorry"

P.S.S. - I didn't really talk to Warrell... but I bet he's sorry.

P.S.S.S. - OK... so I have no real insight into whether or not Warrell is sorry, but as the saying goes, "3rd time is the charm".

P.S.S.S.S - Pleeeeeeeeeease
Count me in on this. NEVERMORE would rule! Especially the idea of playing Dreaming Neon Black in it's entirety. Although Ascension would cry for days.:heh:

Third year this year and it wouldn't matter to me if I knew who's playing in '08. Next year for me will start the dreaded... oh no can I make it and does the date coincide with the N.C. Furniture Market? Our buyer has decided she now wants to go to every Oct. Market. Hoping upon hoping days in Mid-Sept can still work out.

Even if Glenn decided to try to keep it under wraps until February or March, I don't see the big deal with leaks. So they happen. It's still just a rumor and people can decide if they believe it or not and we can enjoy wasting days of time and megabytes of thread space discussing whether it's true what some big mouthed guitarist said at a party.

A couple of years ago a band posted on their site in January that they'd have a very special announcement regarding a gig the following month. A big mouthed guitarist said his band was in talks to play the festival. I'm sure there have been more suggestive leaks. In my examples, one was in fact booked to play Progpower, the other was not.

If Glenn doesn't confirm it, it is just a rumor.

Count me in on this. NEVERMORE would rule! Especially the idea of playing Dreaming Neon Black in it's entirety. Although Ascension would cry for days

Blech. IMO, only power or prog bands should be headliners. Bands that don't fit comfortably into those genres are oddballs and don't belong anywhere near the top of the bill at Progpower.

The headliners should define the genres. Bands like Stratovarius, Symphony X, Evergrey, Edguy, Blind Guardian, and Angra are the reason prog and power metal are growing in popularity. Bands like Nevermore occupy a different niche and are not really part of the same scene. They seem more like the type of band that belongs at Ozzfest.

Count me in on this. NEVERMORE would rule! Especially the idea of playing Dreaming Neon Black in it's entirety. Although Ascension would cry for days

Blech. IMO, only power or prog bands should be headliners. Bands that don't fit comfortably into those genres are oddballs and don't belong anywhere near the top of the bill at Progpower.

The headliners should define the genres. Bands like Stratovarius, Symphony X, Evergrey, Edguy, Blind Guardian, and Angra are the reason prog and power metal are growing in popularity. Bands like Nevermore occupy a different niche and are not really part of the same scene. They seem more like the type of band that belongs at Ozzfest.
I'm not really sure what NEVERMORE you are listening, to. They would fit in perfectly as they have that dark EVERGREY vibe. I take it then you are not familiar with NEVERMORE at all.

I prefer that you announce earlier so that I have more time to get to know any bands that you book that I may not yet be familiar with! I will be there either way as I have been for the last 7 years.

Thanks,
Bill

Well, you know me - I'll be there regardless, so it doesn't matter a lick to me when you announce the bands. I'm torn, actually...knowing sooner rather than later helps to get familiar with bands I don't know or don't know well, but having to wait is kinda like Christmas :)
I guess the bottom line is, do what you gotta do. There are always going to be a few who gripe no matter what. And like I said, I'll be there no matter what. Even if you book Slipknot ;)

Well, you know me - I'll be there regardless, so it doesn't matter a lick to me when you announce the bands. I'm torn, actually...knowing sooner rather than later helps to get familiar with bands I don't know or don't know well, but having to wait is kinda like Christmas :)
I guess the bottom line is, do what you gotta do. There are always going to be a few who gripe no matter what. And like I said, I'll be there no matter what. Even if you book Slipknot ;)

Yeah. What she said. Although I hope and pray for Riverside instead of Slipknot.... ;)

~C

In an increasingly competitive marketplace, you have to do what you have to do to stay ahead of the curve. Announcing the lineup as soon as you have it nailed down seems like the smart choice. I don't see any dropoff in demand whatsoever if the quality is there, particularly in light of the reputation the festival has established throughout the years.

Here's an interesting thought - why not open up ticket sales early as well shortly after the full announcement? The buzz from the recent announcement should generate a ton of advance sales. In addition, the majority of the "wouldn't miss it for the world" crowd would likely want to nail down their tickets early to ensure their continuing attendance. Voila, planning the historic PPX show almost two years in advance becomes an easier reality.

Jason

I suspect the earlier bands are booked, the more cancellations we'll see. It seems bands come, go and change members with great frequency in this scene. Booking bands more than a year in advance, seems like it will lead to some last minute scrambling every so often.

Zod

The times they are a'changing and Prog Power's gotta change too. I enjoyed the suspense the first couple of years I attended, but found it much better to have more time to buy cd's of bands I didn't know. Dave, Michelle and I will go any way and are always willing to sponsor whoever Glenn chooses. Of course, there is definitely the risk of more roster/band changes with earlier announcements, but that's all part of the game.

I suspect the earlier bands are booked, the more cancellations we'll see. It seems bands come, go and change members with great frequency in this scene. Booking bands more than a year in advance, seems like it will lead to some last minute scrambling every so often.

Yeah, that would seem like an inherent risk, but so is letting Festival X announce Riverside a year in advance and then having them show up and play.

Jason

I don't think I'll miss the Jan-Mar anticipation announcements. Sometimes I'd get so excited for the next announcement and then BAM, it'd be a band that I either don't know or don't care for. I'm all for hearing an early announcement. I just simply hope Therion is on it, or Orphaned Land. I can't believe it's almost October. wow. I just hope this time around I don't get blinded by the stage lights. o_O