Need help testing DIs...

Passive pickups hum at the end and clipping at large peaks.
Maybe some other orientation of guitar relative to computer can help.

Yes, I forgot to mention it's way too loud. Work out what levels your converter and preamp are calibrated too, and don't run them too hot. DO NOT DISTORT YOUR DIS WITH MASSIVE LEVELS WHILE TRACKING. This will shrink the tone when it's reamped! There are a lot of very bad habits going around on the board in regards to tracking levels, and I used to be one of the offenders in years passed. If you're after transparency then avoid boosting as much gain on the mic pre as you possibly can, and calibrate your converters to work with signals averaging -18dBFS.

Always have some doubts how -18 dbFS works, is that RMS or peak levels?
Of course, pushing pres to maximum is not very good idea, but with -18 dbFS peak level you will need some compensation to restore original guitar level, so some pre will be pushing harder at that point...
I`m trying to keep unity gain (no amplification) and with active pickups I`m getting -9/-12 dbFS or so, but not with passives which is hotter.

thanks for all the help guys... I'll ease on the gain on the interface from now on.

But otherwise the DI's are cool sounding? This was tracked with my Tascam so it'll do...
If you can reduce gain, that is good, specifications of US-122MKII says that unit has +9 dbV (+11.2 dbu) maximum input level with gain at minimum (line position) which is not much for me :)
DI`s sounds pretty good, just noisy a little.

I think the DIs sound great. They are very noisy however, which you can hear at the end. Maybe see if a ground lift will fix it, and try to distance yourself from any electronic gear that may give off a large amount of EMI (like your computer).

Anyway, here are some runs:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Reamping/Ola DI Test/OD1 Orange Cab 1.wav

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Reamping/Ola DI Test/OD1 Orange Cab 2.wav

They should be relatively phase accurate, so you can mix and match in the DAW if you like.

Sounds really nice:headbang:
What was your setup for these reamps?

This isn't a biggie, but it's been bugging me a bit when listening back to the DI. On that first riff, on the goal chord that you hold, do you actively bend the strings Ola? Because it starts off in tune then slowly drifts sharp, and it's been driving me mad! It only seems to happen 2 or 3 times, hence why I'm wondering whether it's intentional or not.

Ola- you still haven't told us what kind of pickups those are in the guitar. I'm dying to know... it really lets a lot of twang and grind through. Love it!