Need help with 60's, 70's and early 80's doom

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
So if the latest Witchcraft did anything for me, it was to remind me of all the great music that already exists out there outside of Black Sabbath etc. from that 'classic' time period. (NOT INCLUDING PROG - we already have another thread for that).

What are the real doom/classic metal albums then? Bands like HP Lovecraft, Blue Cheer, Pentagram, Witchfinder General, all leading towards the NWOBHM era, etc. All these bands were pretty revolutionary.

List specific albums please - not just the band names. If I'm going shopping, I want to focus on specific releases. Thanks!

:Spin:

Although probably doesn't fully qualify, Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat is certainly classic metal to me, or at least a precursor to it.

I've been recommended Blue Cheer for years but still don't have any, and don't know which album I'm supposed to get first.

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (Suckicus)
Candlemass - Nightfall

Those should be obvious, though.

Yeah, I was kind of leaning towards pre-Candlemass - you know something more 'classic' with a retro vibe to it. Pentagram type stuff with old valve amp marshalls etc.

Candlemass, St Vitus, Trouble, The Obsessed are all well and good, but I want the true conception from back in the day.

For Blue Cheer : VINCEBUS ERUPTUM
If you mean the 60s band named HP LOVECRAFT - they arent heavy at all, they have no connection with doom (they are great of course, but just psychedelic rock).
Pentagram: The essentials are "Day Of Reckoning" " Relentless" and the collection "First Daze Here" which has their 70s recordings (truly proto-doom)
Witchfinder General: I cant understand why people call them doom.. they had those unquestionable Sabbath influences of course .. but its not doom just NWOBHM. "Death Penalty" is their masterpiece.
Some others:
Sir Lord Baltimore: 70s band .. the great influence of Cirith Ungol, really HEAVY DOOM METAL music with SUPERBE riffs and screamy vocals, they have their both albums on 1 cd (albums are : Kingdom Come and same titled - the same titled is their best )
Bang: Another 70s band. Pretty similar to the 70s Pentagram music but more melodic, killer band - their first same titled album is a MUST.
Pagan Altar : Thats the doomiest NWOBHM band. Imagine Witchfynde playing doom. Horrific atmosphere, unique "love em or hate em " vocals , and dark music. They released only some 7' vinyls but there are cds with various songs of them, one with the title .. "Pagan Altar"
Cirith Ungol: THE ULTIMATE GODS YEAH. Their first two albums (Frost And Fire, King Of The Dead) are masterpieces of heavy/doom atmospheric music (again love em or hate em vocals). A mixture of Sabbath, early Rush and Sir Lord Baltimore.
Saint Vitus : GODZ GODZ GODZ .. One can buy EVERYTHING for them, but ok their 3 best are "St Vitus" , "Hallow's Victim" and "Mournful Cries". Haunting vocals from Scott Reagers (Wino sang in some of their albums).
Are these enough?

:kickass:

Actually, I have Cirith Ungol's King of the Dead. I forgot all about them. I shall pull that off my shelf today.

Pagan Altar sounds awesome. I bet most of these are difficult to find...anyway, thanks. Guess I have some searching to do.

Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You 1970
Truth And Janey - No Rest For The Wicked 1976
Hard Stuff - Bulletproof 1972
Night Sun - Mournin' 1972
Quartz - Deleted 1979
Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come 1970
Bang - s/t 1972
Three Man Army - A Third of A Lifetime 1971
Warhorse - s/t 1970
Trapeze - Medusa 1970
Budgie - Bandolier 1975
Manilla Road - The Deluge 1986

Worth looking into. Good luck finding most of these in stores though.

Yeah, that's ok about lack of doom specifically. I'm just looking for something pretty retro, and if doom is a key element then better still.

Note my NWOBHM thread as well please. I'm sure you guys will be helpful.

When it comes to Richie Blackmore, I am all set thanks. Big Rainbow (Dio era) fan here. Some of the greatest 70's metal can be found etched into the grooves of "Stargazer" and "Gates of Babylon".

It is probably THE BEST 70S ALBUM (with the exceptions of Sabbath and Rush) . The best hard rock album EVER. It doesnt remind anything it has the most PURE AND SUPERBE FEELING A HARD ROCK ALBUM MIGHT HAVE. A MASTERPIECE. JUST BUY IT, IT IS BEYOND PERFECTION.

JayKeeley said:
When it comes to Richie Blackmore, I am all set thanks. Big Rainbow (Dio era) fan here. Some of the greatest 70's metal can be found etched into the grooves of "Stargazer" and "Gates of Babylon".

Shit. Scratch that suggestion then I suppose. :yow:

Ya, STFW! :lol:

IOfTheStorm said:
It is probably THE BEST 70S ALBUM (with the exceptions of Sabbath and Rush) . The best hard rock album EVER. It doesnt remind anything it has the most PURE AND SUPERBE FEELING A HARD ROCK ALBUM MIGHT HAVE. A MASTERPIECE. JUST BUY IT, IT IS BEYOND PERFECTION.

I'm all over this.

Fuck, I wanna hear some of that Pagan Altar now. The fact that most of all this shit is ultra-rare makes it even more enticing. *imagines hordes of secret treasure*

So the more you search the web for old doom, the more you realize that you're entering a world of collectors items. 7" EPs here, OOP LP's there, demos, rare CDs...it's like opening Pandora's Box, except when the money's tight, her box smells like tuna.