Need help with 60's, 70's and early 80's doom

JayKeeley said:
So the more you search the web for old doom, the more you realize that you're entering a world of collectors items. 7" EPs here, OOP LP's there, demos, rare CDs...it's like opening Pandora's Box, except when the money's tight, her box smells like tuna.
*ahem* That is sig worthy :kickass:

By the way, another thing worth mentioning: lots and lots of rare doom collectors items seem to hail from Great Britain (at least on eBay). Is it me, or is there some logic behind that?

60s doom? Get on!

I'd like to know how Trapeze, Budgie and Deep Purple could be considered Doom as well :loco:

Really need to get my lazy ass round to getting some Blue Cheer...

I've been on a huge origin of heavy rock/heavy metal kick lately and would like to throw out some more recommendations if anyone might be interested:

These albums are all consistent for their timeframe:

High Tide - Sea Shanties 69
Flower Travellin Band - Satori 71
Jericho - s/t 72
Leslie West - Mountain 69
Andromeda - s/t 69

1349 - Pitch Black is a great example of an old, slow, traditional doom metal song. Especially the sludgey drumming.

KILL TULLY said:
1349 - Pitch Black is a great example of an old, slow, traditional doom metal song. Especially the sludgey drumming.
yeah without having heard the song im going to go out on a limb here and say its probably a 3 minute, 270 bpm song of constant blasting :Smug:

I don't care what you want... what you really need is the Colour Haze s/t. Even if you had heard it or even own it, you just need to buy it again. You'll find happiness.

ScottG said:
High Tide - Sea Shanties 69
This is the really UNBELIEVABLE album of the list. Its riffs are so H-E-A-V-Y and bombastic yet it was released in 1969. Riff power, violins, progressive arrangments and song structures, trippy as a nun girl tasting acid for the first time - the album has everything.