need more music like Savatage

Jordan94k

Aug 24, 2006
I'm really into this rock opera stuff. Unfortunately, I can't find any other bands like Savatage. TSO is awesome of course...but they are really more of a seasonal thing and since they won't put out Nightcastle ever I'm kinda at a dead end there.

The next direction I went in was to find other good concept albums that people recommend who also like Savatage and I end up with Operation Mindcrime, which is awesome but not exactly the same type of music. Someone else recommended Eternity X The Edge of Sanity or whatever it's called and thats awesome too...just once again not exactly what I'm looking for.

Any other suggestions? I'm really looking for a rock opera, I guess, with lots of orchestral parts, musical style vocals, and sweet guitar riffs. :D

Have you checked out Aina, Avantasia, Ayreon or Therion? None of those projects are identical to Savatage. However, all have huge productions, lots of pretty huge arrangements, lots of different styles.

Zod

You might like Wasps "The Crimson Idol" and Ken Hensleys "Blood on the Highway". As a rock opera, I can't give a higher recommendation than any and all of the Ayreon stuff, and I personally love Judas Priests "Nostradamus". Of course, you should check out Circle II Circle (if you haven't already). It's the same stuff (literally!) that Savatage had been doing on the last batch of cds.

I don't think this is a rock opera, but I believe Angel Dust - Bleed gives a Edge of Thorns taste - definitely a great album.

Honestly, there's not too much out there that is similar to newer Savatage. Assuming you've already checked out Jon Oliva's Pain, Circle II Circle, and TSO's Beethoven's Last Night, I'm gonna say Ayreon's The Final Experiment. It's the closest album I've found to the later-period Savatage sound. Ayreon's later stuff is nowhere near as good (too prog-rock oriented for me), and nowhere near as Savatage-esque.

Also try Virgin Steele's The House of Atreus, Acts I and II, and if you enjoy that, try The Marriage of Heaven and Hell, Parts One, Two, and Invictus (Part Three), as well, although these last three are less epic (rock-opera-y) and more song-based.

Rage - Ghosts is another great one that nobody has mentioned. I can't recommend it highly enough, and it reminds me STRONGLY of 'Tage.

Well, if you want something so close, it sounds like Jon himself singing it, try Morgana Lefay's "Grand Materia".

Try Rhapsody of Fire. Sounds like Wake of Magellan X 1000!! All stories are dragon shit, but the music is rich, thick, textured and bombastic. My favorite band of all time is Savatage and I have all Rhapsody's stuff.

That being said, I've NEVER found a band with the lyrical genius of Savatage. Good luck!! :cool:

Chris :headbang:

Someday, I'd like to see most of these Savatage "fans" fess up and admit it.....you're not really fans of Savatage, you're fans of Paul O'Neill. Granted, he took part in Hall of the Mountain King, but to me, it's been all downhill since then. Gone was the traditional metal and say "hello!" to Broadway metal. I know, I know......HERESY!!!!!

I'm really into this rock opera stuff. Unfortunately, I can't find any other bands like Savatage. TSO is awesome of course...but they are really more of a seasonal thing and since they won't put out Nightcastle ever I'm kinda at a dead end there.

The next direction I went in was to find other good concept albums that people recommend who also like Savatage and I end up with Operation Mindcrime, which is awesome but not exactly the same type of music. Someone else recommended Eternity X The Edge of Sanity or whatever it's called and thats awesome too...just once again not exactly what I'm looking for.

Any other suggestions? I'm really looking for a rock opera, I guess, with lots of orchestral parts, musical style vocals, and sweet guitar riffs. :D

Dude, I think you're outta luck. I haven't been able to find a band that appeals to me as much as Savatage does. They're simply the greatest in my eyes. I know I sound like a fanboy, which I am, but it's the truth.

With that said, I've recently gotten into Morgana Lefay myself, so I can second that suggestion. It's for sure not a Savatage clone, but Morgana's sound is closer to early Savatage such as Power of the Night or Sirens.

As far as CIIC is concerned, the only reason there's a Sava correlation is simply due to Zak Stevens. Their music is nowhere near as bombast or orchestrated as Savatage's.

Jon Oliva's Pain is pretty much Savatage of today. Granted, it's more of an early Savatage sound, but that's due to Paul O'Neill not having a hand in the writing.

~Brian~

Someday, I'd like to see most of these Savatage "fans" fess up and admit it.....you're not really fans of Savatage, you're fans of Paul O'Neill. Granted, he took part in Hall of the Mountain King, but to me, it's been all downhill since then. Gone was the traditional metal and say "hello!" to Broadway metal. I know, I know......HERESY!!!!!

I'll be the first to admit, that I love Paul O'Neill! The bottom line is, he saved the band. They would've broken up after Fight For The Rock, because the band got screwed over by their management at the time. They were broke! O'Neill came in and brought the band back up off the ground.

The O'Neill/Oliva writing team is nothing short of genius! Eventhough, I've gotten irritated with the TSO machine as of late, it's enabled the Sava alumnus to carry on with their own projects, such as JOP.

Criss Oliva was a total god on guitar! With that said, I don't think he would've been the type to simply play straight forward heavy metal for the rest of his career. In my opinion, I believe he would've be happy with the 90's Savatage direction. Listen to Streets! :kickass:

~Brian~

I'll be the first to admit, that I love Paul O'Neill! The bottom line is, he saved the band. They would've broken up after Fight For The Rock, because the band got screwed over by their management at the time. They were broke! O'Neill came in and brought the band back up off the ground.

The O'Neill/Oliva writing team is nothing short of genius! Eventhough, I've gotten irritated with the TSO machine as of late, it's enabled the Sava alumnus to carry on with their own projects, such as JOP.

Criss Oliva was a total god on guitar! With that said, I don't think he would've been the type to simply play straight forward heavy metal for the rest of his career. In my opinion, I believe he would've be happy with the 90's Savatage direction. Listen to Streets! :kickass:

~Brian~

I have listened to Streets (many times).....I own all of the Savatage releases....why do you think I can say it's all been downhill since Hall? Streets was the last passable Sava release.....if they would have stopped with the Broadway stuff after that cd, I would have been happy. I didn't like Zakk Stevens taking over vocal duties....nothing against him....he's a decent singer, but I like the Oliva edge. Dude, it's just my personal taste....everything after Hall started to get more and more shmaltzy for me....too much Broadway!
For my taste, the last REAL Savatage cd was Doctor Butcher....JOP's Maniacal Renderings wasn't too bad either.

I have listened to Streets (many times).....I own all of the Savatage releases....why do you think I can say it's all been downhill since Hall? Streets was the last passable Sava release.....if they would have stopped with the Broadway stuff after that cd, I would have been happy. I didn't like Zakk Stevens taking over vocal duties....nothing against him....he's a decent singer, but I like the Oliva edge. Dude, it's just my personal taste....everything after Hall started to get more and more shmaltzy for me....too much Broadway!
For my taste, the last REAL Savatage cd was Doctor Butcher....JOP's Maniacal Renderings wasn't too bad either.

I've never gotten the Broadway comparisons with the actual Sava-rock operas. TSO is very Broadway-esque, no doubt. I can honestly pop in any Savatage disc, depending upon my mood, and be happy with it. Poets and Madmen took some flack from long time fans, which I never understood either. Morphine Child is one of their all time best in my opinion.

~Brian~