need more music like Savatage

No, it's just that we're still waiting for you to say something funny.

Actually, no. You're mistaking that fact that you've been listening to hard rock/metal for 25 years and have nearly 3000 cds for the idea that you know more than anyone else here about music, and, consequently, you're trying to tell people what THEIR opinions are. It's called "being condescending". Also, you're confusing "opinions" with "uninformed statements". Your assertion that Paul O'Neill is entirely responsible for the later direction of Savatage -- and that anyone who enjoys the music is not a Savatage fan, but rather a Paul O'Neill fan -- is not an opinion, it is a misinformed statement -- or, as some of us like to call it, "bullshit".

Holy Moly....I must've hit a nerve. I'm pretty sure that I didn't place ALL of the blame on Mr. O'Neill, and I think that I said (many times!) that these were my opinions (oh nuts, that's right.....you now dictate what is or isn't an opinion), but.......oh well. How about this....you're right , I'm wrong, and next time I want to express an "opinion", I'll check with you to see if it passes the smell test. Long live Jon Oliva!:headbang:

Holy Moly....I must've hit a nerve.

You're really good at this internet game, huh? Putting yourself in the victim box with the "ouch" and "holy moly" is an age old strategy. You pissed off a lot of people with your comments, but you chose now to make yourself the one being mistreated.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't place ALL of the blame on Mr. O'Neill, and I think that I said (many times!) that these were my opinions (oh nuts, that's right.....you now dictate what is or isn't an opinion), but.......oh well. How about this....you're right , I'm wrong, and next time I want to express an "opinion", I'll check with you to see if it passes the smell test. Long live Jon Oliva!:headbang:

Hmmm, let's refresh your memory for a moment - YOU told people that like Savatage to "fess up" and admit that they are Paul O'Neill whores in disguise and that they don't really like 'tage for what they are. Then YOU told those who contradicted you that you have 25 years experience in this music and more than 3000 CDs (wow, congratulations, you're on the same level as 75% of all of us posting here) and thus you would be right. Duh!

Wait - YOU also made the comment about "I was only joking", "why don't anyone get my jokes?" ... awesome, that's another age-old internet tactic.

Dude, you just got to admit you wanted to vent on something you've been thinking about for a while (your theory of those 'tage fans being of a different opinion than you HAVE GOT to be O'Neill fanboys) and when people decided to call you out on it, you went off on the wrong tangent and told them they either were not capable of getting your jokes, or they were victimizing you. It's sad to see that you just can't say: ok, my theory was wrong, sorry for pissing you all off - and then be done with it. Life on the internet is easy; by tomorrow everyone would have forgotten about it. Live and learn.

Okay kids, it's just the internet, no need to get all bent out of shape. Wouldn't it be a lot more fun to speculate what Caffery is talking about when he keeps hinting about Savatage being active again soon?

Or Jon having a different story every time someone asks him about Savatage activity?

Or how Paul has been totally silent on the whole thing?

Nah, you're right, it's way more fun to argue pre-Paul vs. post-Paul, Criss vs. post-Criss, Jon vs. Zak vs. Damond...never a dull moment, huh?

Best to maintain a sense of humor-on Metal Sludge, a poster said he loved Savatage until Paul turned them into Meatloaf-I thought that was really funny, even if I don't agree! :lol:

a poster said he loved Savatage until Paul turned them into Meatloaf-I thought that was really funny, even if I don't agree! :lol:

Actually, I've read where Paul is a big Meat Loaf fan. In all honesty, I can see where that poster gets the comparison. Meat Loaf has made some great music over the years if you can get past the stupid name.

As far as Caffery is concerned, he's totally pro-Savatage. I believe he would be the first one to show up at reunion rehersals! :lol: I'm optimistic, but I believe we will see another Savatage tour...at least a mini-tour...and my ass will be right there! :headbang:

~Brian~

Actually, I've read where Paul is a big Meat Loaf fan. In all honesty, I can see where that poster gets the comparison. Meat Loaf has made some great music over the years if you can get past the stupid name.

As far as Caffery is concerned, he's totally pro-Savatage. I believe he would be the first one to show up at reunion rehersals! :lol: I'm optimistic, but I believe we will see another Savatage tour...at least a mini-tour...and my ass will be right there! :headbang:

~Brian~

Mine too! At as many shows as I can possible afford!

As for Meat Loaf, of course the genius behind him was Jim Steinman. I have long thought that perhaps Paul is Steinman's bastard child! Way too many similarities there! :lol: All joking aside, I remain cautiously optimistic that the rumors and innuendo will lead somewhere. We just have to "Believe"!

Agree 100%!!! And I think anyone who has spoken to Chris for longer than 5 minutes on the topic of Savatage could tell you this is the truth!

Here's to all of us who remain optimistic! :headbang:

Actually, with all this talk of Meatloaf, we might as well add them to the original topic of this thread...music that sounds like Savatage (the 90s stuff anyway). I love Meatloaf! Such excellent music and totally rocked out in places. One of my fave DVD concerts is Meatloaf Live w/ Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. What a show!

Also, on this Paul O'Neill thing. I was a Savatage fanboy long before Paul came on the scene, and I remain a fan long after. I am a fan of both eras of Savatage. It's still Jon writing the vast majority of the music, you can hear that a mile away. Paul does most of the lyrics and does the production on later releases. The songwriting is still Jon. And in that category, the Mountain King is still....well, king.

Also, on this Paul O'Neill thing. I was a Savatage fanboy long before Paul came on the scene, and I remain a fan long after. I am a fan of both eras of Savatage. It's still Jon writing the vast majority of the music, you can hear that a mile away. Paul does most of the lyrics and does the production on later releases. The songwriting is still Jon. And in that category, the Mountain King is still....well, king.

Well put! :headbang:

I was listening to Angel Dust the other day and "Coming Home" played. The song reminded me of Savatage a good bit. Check out the Border of Reality album.

Someone mentioned Angel Dust a LONG time ago, so I just thought I would mention Mercury Tide.

Oh, wait, there's more... don't forget to tell him the part about how Jon Oliva's Pain sounds closer to the O'Neill-era Savatage material than the pre-HOTMK material, even though O'Neill has absolutely nothing to do with Pain, and how this proves that latter-era Savatage was not 100% O'Neill -- not even close...
Agreed all the way! JOP being like pre-HOTMK Sava is bullshit. It's still 'Tage the way we know it, though not quite as excellent and flawless.

Also, yes I admit I'm a fan of O'Neill. Had it not been for him, Savatage wouldn't be my all-time favourite band. And yes, the JOP albums all pale in comparison to anything post-HOTMK up to Poets & Madmen. As a matter of fact, nothing, be it from Chris Caffery, Zak Stevens, Jon Oliva, -- nothing -- has reached the brilliance of P&M since 2001. Funny enough, it was done with Paul O'Neill. Jon is a great singer and writer alone, but together with Paul O'Neill he becomes the best. Nuff said.

And to stay on topic, I highly recommend Rage - XIII.

Agreed all the way! JOP being like pre-HOTMK Sava is bullshit. It's still 'Tage the way we know it, though not quite as excellent and flawless.

Also, yes I admit I'm a fan of O'Neill. Had it not been for him, Savatage wouldn't be my all-time favourite band. And yes, the JOP albums all pale in comparison to anything post-HOTMK up to Poets & Madmen. As a matter of fact, nothing, be it from Chris Caffery, Zak Stevens, Jon Oliva, -- nothing -- has reached the brilliance of P&M since 2001. Funny enough, it was done with Paul O'Neill. Jon is a great singer and writer alone, but together with Paul O'Neill he becomes the best. Nuff said.

And to stay on topic, I highly recommend Rage - XIII.

God, I love Poets and Madmen so much-wish it got more love. It's my second favorite after EOT.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone-I am liking a lot of them!